Differences between 2007 and 2015 Buddy 125?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bigmike7801

Differences between 2007 and 2015 Buddy 125?

Post by bigmike7801 »

I've got an opportunity to pick up a 2007 Buddy 125 with pretty low miles for a decent price.

I wanted to know the differences between a 2007 and a new Buddy 125 including cosmetic differences as well.

Thanks!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

I'm fairly sure they are the exact same. Every so often they will come out with a new color scheme, but it's the same bike. It really depends on the price difference and how the used Buddy was looked after.
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

MYSCTR

2007 Italia Internatioanl

Post by MYSCTR »

That is the first, the original International, the 2007 Italia 125 (the 08 is when they jumped to 150cc and added the other color schemes). That was my wife's first scooter. She had a blast on it - I think it was really peppy, maybe a bit quicker than the second Italia she got (used) which was the 2008 150.

The retailed for something just over the regular color 125's, can't remember if it was $100 or $200 more. I would imagine with only 800 miles, you may have to do some extra work like new battery, clean or rebuild the carb, spark plug, of course change fluids, tires etc…. yet I would jump on that if it was local. Wished we never let ours go.

Have you checked it out? is it clean? Meaning not wrecked or all scratched up? Does it drive straight (no fork or tree damage)? If so - go get it! It will make a great scoot.

Ok if this lives up to what was posted (just re-read it) - BUY IT NOW!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

That is indeed the original Italia 125. Being garaged is a plus, and it has low miles. That's the good news. The bad is that you will need a new battery, the carb most likely will need cleaning, you need 2 new tires, the motor oil and rear hub oil replaced, and you should change the belt/rollers(transmission). Assuming you will have a mechanic do alot/all of this work, you are looking at several hundred dollars. If you decide to buy it, mention that to the owner and he should take some money off the price.

Now weigh that against a new Buddy. Of course it will cost more, but you will get a 2 year warranty and 2 years of roadside assistance. And you get to pick a color! The new matte titanium is very cool.

Whatever you choose you can't go wrong. The Buddy is a great(albeit small) scooter.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Offer them $1,000.00 and go for it.
All the above should be done.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

GregsBuddy wrote:Offer them $1,000.00 and go for it.
All the above should be done.

Agreed. It will come out to about $1500 after the work, and that is half what a new one would cost.
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

I'm new to this scooter thing and don't know much about them.

How can you tell if the carb needs cleaned? Is it something a novice such as myself can do?

Why will it need new tires especially if it's got less than 1k miles?

Thanks!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I'm no expert but;
If it sat a while fuel in the carb has 'gone bad' and/or evaporated gunking it up. Can it be cleaned by a novice? Sure, there's plenty of tutorials out there and on this forum to help. How to tell if it needs cleaning? If it's running like crap, or just do it or get it done because it can be done.
As for tires, those tires are 8 years old. Rubber dries out and degrades over time. They're cheap enough, if one blows out while riding the consequences can be much worse than if one on your car goes at speed, there's only two of them.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Driller

Post by Driller »

If it starts and runs, try SEAFOAM in fresh fuel and ride it. It may take a couple of treatments, but often it works wonders. Removing the carb and cleaning it is not that much of an ordeal if that fails.
+1 on new tires. Often deterioration of the tire occurs inside where you don't see it. Just not worth taking the chance considering the small cost to put new boots on the scoot..
"My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder."
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I'd be happy to go into to more detail once you actually own the scooter. Here is a great write up on cleaning the carb:

viewtopic.php?t=20718&highlight=clean+125+carb

There are things you can do short of removing the carb that will help free up the diaphragm slide. If you're jets are badly clogged, you will have to remove the carb.

I personally wouldn't get rid of the current tires. I would keep a close eye on the pressure and check the tread and sidewalls for any sign of cracks. They have been stored indoors and only have 800 miles on them.

My C3 is a 2008 and I still have the original front tire on it. The scooter is used year round and has seen its share of mag chloride on the road. The tires on my car are 7 years old, and have 30,000 miles on them. I drive it quite bit in the winter, and never give thought to the tires.

The rollers should be fine. As for the belt, I would not replace it but check it everytime you do an oil change. I would be more worried about the fuel filter and the brake fluid.

The 125 is a great scooter. It is well designed and as easy to work on as any scooter out there. There is something to be said for those who wrench on what they ride. This is a great forum with loads of cool people eager to lend their expertise.

Buy it, buy it now before the guy in Portland snags it.
Last edited by DeeDee on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:55 am, edited 16 times in total.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

^^^^^I was being cautious. I do disagree with tires. Change them. Get a good set and it will make the experience more enjoyable. Those tires are old and we are talking about a new rider.
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

KrispyKreme wrote:^^^^^I was being cautious. I do disagree with tires. Change them. Get a good set and it will make the experience more enjoyable. Those tires are old and we are talking about a new rider.
...and a heavy rider ;)
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/he ... ooter.html

That's $133.62 for two tires. Double it. That's the OTD price. It adds up.
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

KrispyKreme wrote:http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/he ... ooter.html

Are you saying double it because of what shops charge for installation?
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

bigmike7801 wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/he ... ooter.html

Are you saying double it because of what shops charge for installation?
Yes.
saltlakescooters

Post by saltlakescooters »

Only difference is the center stand "foot pad" is bigger on the 2014's/ 2015's.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

saltlakescooters wrote:Only difference is the center stand "foot pad" is bigger on the 2014's/ 2015's.

Astonishing post.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

saltlakescooters wrote:Only difference is the center stand "foot pad" is bigger on the 2014's/ 2015's.
I LIKE the bigger footpad - makes it easier to center stand barefoot. Don't freak - I am talking about going out in the garage to move scooters around to polish them or check air/oil etc - not riding them.
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

So I'm finally going to go look at this Buddy tomorrow.

It doesn't run (I'm guessing the carb is clogged) but it turns over. It's been garaged for about 3 years with very low miles.

He's offering it to me for $900.

Still sound like a good deal knowing it doesn't run at the moment?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

$700 is the magic number for today.

2009 Buddy International 150 15 Miles Won't Start?

topic28373.html
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Shoot, now I'm nervous about the tires on my 2008 125 buddy I bought last year. It had 3300 miles on it and original tires. No obvious cracking.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

ucandoit wrote:Shoot, now I'm nervous about the tires on my 2008 125 buddy I bought last year. It had 3300 miles on it and original tires. No obvious cracking.
Don't over think it unless you are racing or riding like you are. Keep an eye on them, keep the air pressure close to 27-30 psi (depends on your weight and riding style). You can find more on pressure on this site. When the rear is ready to swap out, do the set, then you are starting brand new, note the milage and ride on.
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

So we've agreed on $800. However like I said, it's not running. There are a few scratches on the right side but nothing too bad. And the battery is deader than Elvis.
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

So is this still a good purchase or should I walk away?
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

As long as it was taken care of when ridden, then yes buy it. Then expect to get the maintenance up to date.

We can only assume the battery is why it won't start. You will want to start here, yet if it has been setting for any length of time, you can pretty much count on the carb needing cleaning or at least draining all the gas and and replacing it with treated gas. Then refer above to continue down the suggested list of what was said earlier when picking up a used scooter, or see other post regarding this.

You are going to have an awesome peppy scooter!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

If it kicks thru, BUY. Its a good deal. You will need a new battery and maybe a carb clean. Try something like fresh gas and some K100 (like seafoam but better). If that doesn't do it, you may have to pay a shop for an hour labor to clean the carb.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?