That's twice in 3 weeks

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SF Pamplona

That's twice in 3 weeks

Post by SF Pamplona »

I live in the Upper Haight, San Francisco. Both my girlfriend and I own scooters. In the last 3 weeks, bother our Prima scooter covers have been stolen right off our scoots. Obviously, this is frustrating. I have already replaced mine, but I expect it to be stolen again.

Does anyone have any good leads on some lockable scooter covers that would fit a Buddy and/or Vespa Primavera (GF's scoot)?

Thanks!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

better than the scoot being taken I guess!

I wonder if it's just people being jerks, or if they have a purpose?

You can run a cable lock through if you want a little extra security. won't help much if they just cut it though.
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

Here in the hood in Boston, the welfare rats will steal anything. So, I buy cheap Champion covers, then I spray paint them ugly with pink and yellow paint. Seems to work.
SF Pamplona

Post by SF Pamplona »

skully93 wrote:better than the scoot being taken I guess!

You can run a cable lock through if you want a little extra security. won't help much if they just cut it though.
That's what I wondered. There are a lot of jerky street kids here, but I have been trying to figure out the purpose. At first I thought maybe it was stolen to be used as a blanket on a cold night (the best scenario), but then the second cover was stolen on a hot day/night.

Perhaps stranger still, our scoots were parked right next to each other, each with a cover, and the thief stole the dingy one on my GF's scoot and not the brand new one I had just placed. I thought maybe it was a thief with half a conscious who thought "Oh ok, I've already stolen from this bloke recently... I'll spread the 'wealth' around a little bit by stealing this one instead."

It's really just annoying more than anything else. Good suggestion on the cable lock I think.
SF Pamplona

Post by SF Pamplona »

Stinkdyr wrote:Here in the hood in Boston, the welfare rats will steal anything. So, I buy cheap Champion covers, then I spray paint them ugly with pink and yellow paint. Seems to work.
I like this idea. Prima covers look too nice. I need something that looks like you would never even want to lay a finger on it.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

SF Pamplona wrote:
skully93 wrote:better than the scoot being taken I guess!

That's what I wondered. There are a lot of jerky street kids here, but I have been trying to figure out the purpose. At first I thought maybe it was stolen to be used as a blanket on a cold night (the best scenario), but then the second cover was stolen on a hot day/night.

Perhaps stranger still, our scoots were parked right next to each other, each with a cover, and the thief stole the dingy one on my GF's scoot and not the brand new one I had just placed. I thought maybe it was a thief with half a conscious who thought "Oh ok, I've already stolen from this bloke recently... I'll spread the 'wealth' around a little bit by stealing this one instead."

It's really just annoying more than anything else. Good suggestion on the cable lock I think.
Just because it was hot the day it was stolen doesn't mean someone didn't want a tent for sleeping rough.

Seriously, i cannot fathom why anyone would steal a COVER other than as a sophomoric prank, to try to sell it, or to use it as a tarp/tent.

I mean, the COVER, not the BIKE?!?

(that said, i' very glad for you both that it WAS the covers not the bikes)
SF Pamplona

Post by SF Pamplona »

Thanks ravenlore!

Wanted to offer an update on this...

I ended up buying some cheap covers off of Amazon that actually come with locks. Two covers + two locks + two cables for $50. That's a serious bargain.

I installed them earlier this week, and sure enough I already see signs of someone trying to steal one of them again! I walked by it today on my way home from work, and a thief (likely the same one) had tried to remove it as the front of the cover had been lifted up over one of the handlebars. Then they must have finally noticed the cable lock and given up.

f/ those guys!!!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Maybe the guy that stole the old cover had a scoot he wanted to put a cover on, but didn't want the new one.

Because it'd get stolen. :)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Snap

Post by Snap »

Stinkdyr wrote:Here in the hood in Boston, the welfare rats will steal anything. So, I buy cheap Champion covers, then I spray paint them ugly with pink and yellow paint. Seems to work.
There you go.
I don't use covers on anything to avoid attracting mice who like dark places, b ut if I did I'd make it ugly so it' doesn't attract anyone and it's not worth selling.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I suspect it's homeless bums using them for rain, wind, and fog protection. Bums are taking over San Francisco.