Eliminate the Gas/Oil Leak in Style

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Sach

Eliminate the Gas/Oil Leak in Style

Post by Sach »

I was missing the plug for the carb box, and to my wife's dismay, my Stella was marking the garage floor. Personally, I think its just marking its territory, like her dogs do...but I digress.

As I was sitting in "quiet contemplation" I came up with a (probably not so original) idea.

1. Take a 1/4 fitting as shown in the attached pic. I chose a 3/16th plug end. This is a hardware store thing ( I went to ACE). About 2.50 bucks.
2. Buy a short length of tubing that will fit and a cap for the end of it. (maybe 30 cents at same store)
3. Cut the fitting down a bit on each end (you can use a knife, etc..easy), so you can manipulate it in the small area where you access the plug.
4. Screw it in, plug your tube in the hole.
5. Run it to a desired area. (away from any significant heat producing parts of course)
6. Place cap in open end.
7. Move on the to the next complaint your wife has about your hobbies.

Total this cost me about 3.00. The length of my tube is long enough to where I can take a look at it with the cowl on. The tube is clear, so I will be able to tell when it is filling up and release the leakage without hitting the floor. I am going to figure out a good spot to secure it.

Not sure how this will work in the long haul, but it seems promising.
Attachments
20150212_161845.jpg
20150212_161845.jpg (63.9 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Frank Tabor

Re: Eliminate the Gas/Oil Leak in Style

Post by Frank Tabor »

Sach wrote:I was missing the plug for the carb box, and to my wife's dismay, my Stella was marking the garage floor. Personally, I think its just marking its territory, like her dogs do...but I digress.

As I was sitting in "quiet contemplation" I came up with a (probably not so original) idea.

1. Take a 1/4 fitting as shown in the attached pic. I chose a 3/16th plug end. This is a hardware store thing ( I went to ACE). About 2.50 bucks.
2. Buy a short length of tubing that will fit and a cap for the end of it. (maybe 30 cents at same store)
3. Cut the fitting down a bit on each end (you can use a knife, etc..easy), so you can manipulate it in the small area where you access the plug.
4. Screw it in, plug your tube in the hole.
5. Run it to a desired area. (away from any significant heat producing parts of course)
6. Place cap in open end.
7. Move on the to the next complaint your wife has about your hobbies.

Total this cost me about 3.00. The length of my tube is long enough to where I can take a look at it with the cowl on. The tube is clear, so I will be able to tell when it is filling up and release the leakage without hitting the floor. I am going to figure out a good spot to secure it.

Not sure how this will work in the long haul, but it seems promising.

Brilliant! somethings on a Stella just can't be fixed, but can be lived with.
finished 18 in 2014 Scooter Cannonball.
Sach

Post by Sach »

Yea...or as Bob Marley put it, "Some people see the rain, others just get wet.."
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

what year Stella??
Can we see a few pictures of the finished project?? Installed? and where this rig goes??
thanks..
Good write up.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Sach

Post by Sach »

I will post it up in a few days. I had to pull it all offer, as I am tuning the carb a bit, and I believe I need to replace some seals this weekend.