"I never heard of Genuine" -- A 100% true story

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

COYOTE102076

"I never heard of Genuine" -- A 100% true story

Post by COYOTE102076 »

OK, I am snowed in this morning and thought while sitting here
with nothing to do I would write up this short post.

Over the last 4 weeks, I have asked every motorcycle shop I have
walked into what they know about Genuine scooters.
EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has said "I have never heard of Genuine
Scooters before" EVERY single one.
The exact dealers I have been in and asked this question to:
* Bumpus Harley Davidson, Jackson TN
* Abernathy's Harley Davidson, Union City TN
* Abernathy's Honda & Yamaha, Union City TN (Just down the road from their Harley dealership)
* Paducah Powersports, Paducah KY (Yamaha dealership)
* Bob's house of Honda, Jackson TN (Honda & Polaris)
* Honda of Paris, Paris TN (Where my CBR300 is coming from)
* Willoughby's Cycle Shop, Paris TN ( All brands used motorcycles )

7 dealerships.
5 dealerships sell SCOOTERS.

Yet none have heard of Genuine?

Yet you can go on you tube and in any scooter rally in any country you see HEAPS of Genuine scooters in the rally. This is just mind boggling to me. How can something so popular, be so unknown to dealerships?
I will admit, when going over the pricing details of the CBR300, I asked about trading in the brand new RH50. With 12X miles on it. Bought 4 weeks ago for $1700. The trade in value: $500
:?

Just gonna keep it for the wife to ride and will allow me the ability to attend scooter rally's. LOL
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

The dealerships that sold scooters not knowing about Genuine is a bit surprising. Oh well. As far as the CBR300 goes, get a Ninja300 instead. It has a twin-cylinder that is the cream of the class. :)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Now, did you ask them if they were familiar with the Buddy scooter or the Stella? In fairness, there is no scooter called a Genuine - and the Genuine Scooter Company builds no scooters.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Well...this is the US...not Europe. I'm pretty sure that if you asked them about Kymco or SYM you would get the same answer. In many other parts of the world where scooters are common as daily transportation these manufactures (PGO that actually makes Genuine's TNG scooters are very well known and respected.

Also...if was a dealer selling other brands...well I wouldn't be talking about a product I don't stock.

The US just isn't a hardcore scooter country. Is it because of how large the country is, MC culture, the perception that scooters aren't "real" bikes? Who knows...and really...who cares.

I bought my Buddy in 06...the first year they were available here. At that time there was little information about them. The Buddy was suggested by my dealer. I went and did my homework and found out the PGO used to make parts for Piaggio and had a great international reputation.

Did I feel like I was taking a bit of a risk buying a new product? Well yeah...but I'm glad I did. That scooter has been bullet proof. Aside from normal wear items like belt, tires, battery rollers it has never let me down and still runs like new!

I'm a scooterist...I really don't care what others think or know.

On the same note I had to go to Tampa for an overnight work trip. The hotel suggested that I park right next to the front door. I was getting some things out of my scooter and someone said "I never knew BMW made bikes." He was a nice guy...just didn't know that they had been making them since 1923
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

When my GF and I go to MC/Powersports stores they've never known what her Buddy is and sometimes ask about it. In reality, people who work at places like that have about 0 interest in scooters, either because they don't care or they don't make that much money off of their sales. If it's something they don't carry it might as well not exist to them. I've only run across a few salesmen at powersports dealers that are actually interested and willing to talk about the scooters they sell.
skipper20

Re: "I never heard of Genuine" -- A 100% true sto

Post by skipper20 »

COYOTE102076 wrote:OK, I am snowed in this morning and thought while sitting here
with nothing to do I would write up this short post.

Over the last 4 weeks, I have asked every motorcycle shop I have
walked into what they know about Genuine scooters.
EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has said "I have never heard of Genuine
Scooters before" EVERY single one.

7 dealerships.
5 dealerships sell SCOOTERS.

Yet none have heard of Genuine?

Yet you can go on you tube and in any scooter rally in any country you see HEAPS of Genuine scooters in the rally. This is just mind boggling to me. How can something so popular, be so unknown to dealerships?
I have never been to your state or Kentucky (I would like to visit sometime) but from what I've heard and read over the years, I'm guessing your area may be more motorcycle friendly than scooter friendly hence the "unknown" responses. If you had asked the same question in Boston, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Phoenix or any other large urban area, responses most likely would have been more positive. IMHO that is.

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in AZ
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
n3429t

Post by n3429t »

I probably wouldn't have gone into a motorcycle shop to ask about a brand they don't sell. I don't know about your area but in the Chattanooga, Tn. area there are moped/scooter shops that cater to scooters and one of them is a Genuine dealer and I bought my wife's scooter there. I would be REALLY surprised to see a Harley dealer also selling scooters. There seems to be a big gap separating scooter and motorcycle riders. I ride motorcycles but I don't look down on scooter riders. Like I said, I bought my wife one and my brother in law and nephew ride scooters. My nephew actually has a motorcycle also.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

And, sometimes the Harley folks are pretty myopic...
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

"I'm a scooterist...I really don't care what others think or know."

-BuddyRaton

This sums it up quite nicely. If I had to label my philosophy, that would be the jist. I, however, hate labels. We are all mislabeled at some time in our lives.

Good quote Raton. I may use it later on.
COYOTE102076

Post by COYOTE102076 »

Dooglas wrote:Now, did you ask them if they were familiar with the Buddy scooter or the Stella? In fairness, there is no scooter called a Genuine - and the Genuine Scooter Company builds no scooters.

The scooter says "Genuine Scooter Company" on the seat and under the instrument panel.
Likewise, the website is clearly listed as Genuine Scooter Company.
Not "Buddy Scooters" or "Stella Scooters"

Granted, I understand that the scooters are built under contract by
other company's. Still though, it is like saying a Chevy truck is not
a Chevy truck, and that Chevrolet does not build trucks and there is no
Chevrolet Trucks, because in fact, most all components are built overseas by subcontracted company's. [/quote]
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

From your posts it appears that for some reason you are suffering from "buyer's remorse". In a forum dedicated to Genuine products you really aren't going to find many people that are unhappy with the product. Yes...there will be a few...mainly people that have made a bad decision all on their own and then wish to place the blame elsewhere.

As all of your post have been negative may I suggest that you have made a bad decision. I would also suggest that you cut your losses, bite the bullet, take the hit and dump your scooter.

If you do this there is a good chance that you will be a happier individual...and MB will be a happier place.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

BuddyRaton wrote:From your posts it appears that for some reason you are suffering from "buyer's remorse". In a forum dedicated to Genuine products you really aren't going to find many people that are unhappy with the product. Yes...there will be a few...mainly people that have made a bad decision all on their own and then wish to place the blame elsewhere.

As all of your post have been negative may I suggest that you have made a bad decision. I would also suggest that you cut your losses, bite the bullet, take the hit and dump your scooter.

If you do this there is a good chance that you will be a happier individual...and MB will be a happier place.
I'll second the above. But dump it for a 170i Hooligan and you'll be smiling.

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson

'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

COYOTE102076 wrote:Granted, I understand that the scooters are built under contract by other company's. Still though, it is like saying a Chevy truck is not a Chevy truck, and that Chevrolet does not build trucks and there is no Chevrolet Trucks, because in fact, most all components are built overseas by subcontracted companies.
No. The PGO's like the Buddy and Roughhouse, and the LML's like the Stella are models designed and built by their manufacturer. They were not "designed" by Genuine Scooters. Genuine is an importer. Chevrolet, on the other hand, is a division of General Motors; just like Vespa is a division of Piaggio. General Motors does, in fact, build trucks; just as Piaggio does build scooters.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

The scooter industry is pretty small potatoes in the powersport industry. And why would big and brand-specific dealership (like Yamaha, Honda, or Harley) put any interest in some other company's product? I wouldn't go into a Chevy truck dealership and ask about a SmartCar. It's a totally different company catering to a totally different market base.

I saw my first Buddy at a big multi-brand-carrying MC/Powersports store, and the salespeople flocked to every man walking in to look at an MC, but I stood there for an hour and not one person came over to talk to me about their scooter selection. (Now, I've heard a woman MC racer who has complained about sexism/neglect from the same store, but... there's also this...) If you work on commission, which would you be more interested in knowing and selling: $2k-4k scooters or 8k-25k MCs? I'd imagine they learn enough to get by selling what scooters they do carry, but not much else.

The places where they are going to really know Genuine Scooters are run by people who are passionate about scooters.
Scooter Commuter
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

This thread has prompted me to consider going to my local HD store and asking them about scooters. I might just bring a camera to record their facial reactions. "you guys got any of those Harley Toppers?"
Driller

Post by Driller »

I ride with a group where HD's are the majority. They tolerate me on my scooters and "other" Motorcycles. On one ride, the pack pulled into a HD dealership near Asheville that actually had some scooters tucked in a corner of the showroom! :shock: They just shook their heads while I went over to check out the TGB's while they were perusing "the Chrome". :rofl:
"My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder."
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

BeefSupreme wrote:This thread has prompted me to consider going to my local HD store and asking them about scooters. I might just bring a camera to record their facial reactions. "you guys got any of those Harley Toppers?"
I almost bought a Topper to restore just to ride to Harley events. Don't get me wrong...I like Harleys and I have a lot of friends that are Harley riders. Those bikes just aren't for me.

But a Topper..."Hey...look at the stupid scooter...hey...its a Harley...but it's a scooter...but but but..."Image
www.teamscootertrash.com

COYOTE102076

Post by COYOTE102076 »

Ya know, I am 38, am on several other forums, mostly firearm related but am a financial donor to 1 automotive and 2 firearm related, and a member at one other motorcycle related forum, and in all of the other forums I am a long time member of, I have never run into as much hostility as I do on this place.

NO Buddy, I do NOT have buyers remorse. I knew I was getting a motorcycle as well, but thought this scoot would be a fun project.
FROM DAY ONE you have dissed me and acted like I was some sort of poor fool. I assure you, I am neither poor, nor a fool.
I don't have Buyers remorse, as any scooter would have fit the bill.
I have brand remorse.
The folks on the CBR forum are way nicer bunch.

You want me gone so bad, fine, I will oblige you. I will leave.
I do not have time to have my blood pressure shot up over jackasses like you.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

So after not reading the owners manual, calling accepted break in methods "bull", comparing a scooter to a chain saw and a diesel to support a delusional belief, thinking that slapping a 70 cc kit will change break in, getting some good information...(remember where those little flakes go?) thinking that porting cases to match is the same as chamfering ports, asking if one of the best made scooters is "crap" whining like a little girl because Harley dealers don't know about scooters and having "brand remorse" whatever the frak that is, going on about your other forums, your age, your income your going to take your ball and run home because you don't know how to play well with others.

Sorry but a RH50 broken in out of accordance with the manufactures recommendations with 12X miles on it bought 4 weeks ago with a non-transferable warranty is not "new". It is a used vehicle no matter what you want others to believe.

It is generally not acceptable behavior to walk into someone else's house and shit on the carpet

Either you are totally lacking in social skills...or a troll. What ever it is I will tell you again. I don't care.

I'm calling Shenanigans!

Buh by
www.teamscootertrash.com

KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

COYOTE102076 wrote:Ya know, I am 38, am on several other forums, mostly firearm related.
Well that's a surprise. It's ironic that you seem to have a temperament unsuited to handle firearms. 'Murica baby!!!

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
8)