Wanna go 100MPH? On a Scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Wanna go 100MPH? On a Scooter?

Post by jrsjr »

I'd heard something about this scooter before, but I thought it was just another 100MPH story. Apparently this one is real, or pretty close to. And, if this article is to be believed, it's for sale on eBay. I sort of wish I had a pile of unspoken for cash. Two piles, actually. I'd need one for the scooter and one for a (very) large supply of rear tires. :twisted:
Attachments
Cushman Harley.jpg
Cushman Harley.jpg (32.18 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Not on your life checks credit card balance.

Nope, not on your life. :cry:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

No.

Thanks for asking.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

Why? It's not a Cushman. It's not a Harley. Personally, I don't find it even remotely interesting.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

If I'd wanted to go 100mph, I wouldn't have bought a scooter in the first place.

That creature is just weird looking. And not in a good way.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

I like it :)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I admire the engineering, but I can do 110 on my Honda that's designed for it and get better mpg.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I have seen some Cushman Eagles with a Briggs Vangard V-twin, but that takes the cake. More impressive than that Honda Grom with the CBR 250 engine stuffed in.
-100mph on a scooter may not be too scary, but 100mph on a "hard tail" is.
A pothole could be fatal.
-The engine in my uncle's Cushman Eagle wasn't quite as big as a Sporty motor.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

ModernMike wrote:Why? It's not a Cushman. It's not a Harley. Personally, I don't find it even remotely interesting.

I thought you were being a grump.....until I took a look at it. Totally agree. I would, however, take it to a track and rip it. :twisted:
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

My life starts to flash before my eyes when I hit 60 with my scooter. I just don't see the appeal. Maybe if I knew the road was perfect...no it wouldn't matter it would freak me out. I do think that Cushman scooter looks cool. I picture Alf driving that thing for some reason.
skipper20

Re: Wanna go 100MPH? On a Scooter?

Post by skipper20 »

jrsjr wrote:I'd heard something about this scooter before, but I thought it was just another 100MPH story. Apparently this one is real, or pretty close to. And, if this article is to be believed, it's for sale on eBay. I sort of wish I had a pile of unspoken for cash. Two piles, actually. I'd need one for the scooter and one for a (very) large supply of rear tires. :twisted:
I don't think it can be called a "scooter" as it's not a step-through design. With the gas tank mounted up high and in front of the rider, it has to be considered a small motorcycle. In any event, no thanks to doing 100 mph.

Bill in Seattle now wintering in Tucson
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

"Wanna go 100MPH? On a Scooter?" NO! :wink:
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Dooglas wrote:"Wanna go 100MPH? On a Scooter?" NO! :wink:

Wasn't there a "Voodoo" Buddy that someone hit 88mph on? On 10 inch wheels. Guy had brass balls, was crazy, or both! Still pretty cool in my book. :)
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Dooglas wrote:"Wanna go 100MPH? On a Scooter?" NO! :wink:

Honestly a BV500 could probably get it with a little tuning. Hell your 350 hits 90 or so, correct?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KrispyKreme wrote:Honestly a BV500 could probably get it with a little tuning. Hell your 350 hits 90 or so, correct?
Correct. And it has a hell of a lot better suspension and braking than a Cushman or a Buddy.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

skipper20 wrote:I don't think it can be called a "scooter" as it's not a step-through design. With the gas tank mounted up high and in front of the rider, it has to be considered a small motorcycle.
The problem with this definition is this scooter which certainly does not meet your definition but is unmistakably a "scooter." Not to argue, I get your point, but be careful with that blanket statement because the 1966 Vespa 90 SS is a classic counter-example that scooter nuts know all too well. :wink:
Attachments
1966 Vespa 90 SS
1966 Vespa 90 SS
Vespa 90 SS 1966.JPG (46.43 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

jrsjr wrote:
skipper20 wrote:I don't think it can be called a "scooter" as it's not a step-through design. With the gas tank mounted up high and in front of the rider, it has to be considered a small motorcycle.
The problem with this definition is this scooter which certainly does not meet your definition but is unmistakably a "scooter." Not to argue, I get your point, but be careful with that blanket statement because the 1966 Vespa 90 SS is a classic counter-example that scooter nuts know all too well. :wink:
That is pretty cool looking.

And Skipper, don't forget Genuine's other ride, the Blur!
Tenchi

Nope, nope and nope....

Post by Tenchi »

Hitting an honest 58 on my old scoot, a Kymco 150 Super S, was enough for me. Hitting 95 on my old Suzuki 1973 triple 550 gave me grey hairs. Falling off my 650 Silver Wing at 40 plus miles an hour gave me perspective....pavement hurts. A lot. :shock:
The worst day of retirement beats the best day working....
Tenchi

Nope, nope and nope....

Post by Tenchi »

Hitting an honest 58 on my old scoot, a Kymco 150 Super S, was enough for me. Hitting 95 on my old Suzuki 1973 triple 550 gave me grey hairs. Falling off my 650 Silver Wing at 40 plus miles an hour gave me perspective....pavement hurts. A lot. :shock:
The worst day of retirement beats the best day working....
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

^^^^^The Blur 220i is an often overlooked scooter. Great brakes and suspension.
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

the 1966 Vespa 90 SS is a classic counter-example that scooter nuts know all too well.
It's in the frame. That Vespa still has a low "step through" frame. They just filled it with a lot of stuff. The other two bikes pictured have high frames, therefore...motorcycle, not scooter.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
viney266

Post by viney266 »

why a sportster motor? of all the choices out there?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

BigDaddy SnakeOiler wrote:
the 1966 Vespa 90 SS is a classic counter-example that scooter nuts know all too well.
It's in the frame. That Vespa still has a low "step through" frame. They just filled it with a lot of stuff. The other two bikes pictured have high frames, therefore...motorcycle, not scooter.
I wasn't trying to quibble, just to point out that being dogmatic about this can get you into the deep end pretty quickly. Um, here's a counterexample which has blown me personally right off the road as it flew past...

Last edited by jrsjr on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Last edited by BuddyRaton on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice cut down!

Image[/quote]
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote: the 1966 Vespa 90 SS is a classic counter-example that scooter nuts know all too well. :wink:
I need a tissue
www.teamscootertrash.com

BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

Is that a jet engine? That would rock.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

BigDaddy SnakeOiler wrote:Is that a jet engine? That would rock.
Looks like a tour tank for extra fuel. I ran one on CBR 2012 but mounted on a rear rack.
www.teamscootertrash.com

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

KrispyKreme wrote:^^^^^The Blur 220i is an often overlooked scooter. Great brakes and suspension.
And the handling is incredible and well...it is one of the most fun scooters I have ridden!
www.teamscootertrash.com

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

BuddyRaton wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:^^^^^The Blur 220i is an often overlooked scooter. Great brakes and suspension.
And the handling is incredible and well...it is one of the most fun scooters I have ridden!
Agreed! I rode a Blur 150 on Cannonball 2006. That's where I got acquainted with the scooter you see pictured above. And, yeah, that's a gas tank. At least it was in 2006. By now it may be a flux capacitor for all I know. Come to think of it, for Cannonball 2106, they'll probably need a rule banning scooters that are able to arrive at the finish line before the start. :shock:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm working on a 2016 route to submit for consideration
www.teamscootertrash.com

toot

Too Much!!

Post by toot »

Isn't the whole point of a scooter is that it is a scooter??? :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: Too Much!!

Post by BuddyRaton »

toot wrote:Isn't the whole point of a scooter is that it is a scooter??? :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy: :goofy:
Well...kind of...but maybe not really.

For the majority of the world a scooter is a means of basic transportation. Most of the time it is what the owner can afford to own and to operate, not in addition to a car but instead of a car

Scooters are in general just more pratical than small displacement motorcycles. CVT transmission, better weather protection, more storage..etc etc. I know that when I lived in Jerusalem scooters outnumbered motorcycles by at least 10 to 1.

It seems that it is in the US that there is more nit picking arguments about what is a scooter and what is a MC.

Really...who cares...ride what you like and like what you ride!

Now if we are going to argue about what is "vintage" I have my opinion on that! :mrgreen:
www.teamscootertrash.com

Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Ya, the symba/cub/passport stuff kinda messes with the scooter/motorcycle definitions too. Not quite a step through,sit on the gas tank, motor in the middle…
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Stitch wrote:Ya, the symba/cub/passport stuff kinda messes with the scooter/motorcycle definitions too. Not quite a step through,sit on the gas tank, motor in the middle…
From the Scooter Cannonball Rulebook:

2.1.1 A scooter is a two or three wheeled vehicle that satisfies AT LEAST THREE OF FIVE of the following conditions:

• 2.1.1.1 unit construction of engine, transmission and rear swingarm.
• 2.1.1.2 wheels no larger than 10in.
• 2.1.1.3 originally equipped with a step-through style frame.
• 2.1.1.4 originally equipped with running boards or leg shield.
• 2.1.1.5 a single cylinder engine design.

The underbone bikes (Symba, Scout, SuperCub/Passport) could qualify depending on how fine a point the organizers put on what a "step through" is (2.1.1.3) when evaluating the machine; the underbones meet 2.1.1.4 and 2.1.1.5 with no issue. Personally, I'd love to run my '81 Passport once it's done. Just got the crank back on Thursday and I'm starting preparations to reassemble the engine. Considering what a yard turd this bike started as, it'd be awesome to say, "Back from the dead. BRB, gonna go do a Cannonball." Barring that, I'd look at running my '87 Elite 80 because it's a stupid-little-yet-somehow-loveable scooter. Either way, the bike would be sporting one of the Siobhan stickers that Dmitry sent me.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

az_slynch wrote:
Stitch wrote:Ya, the symba/cub/passport stuff kinda messes with the scooter/motorcycle definitions too. Not quite a step through,sit on the gas tank, motor in the middle…

2.1.1 A scooter is a two or three wheeled vehicle that satisfies AT LEAST THREE OF FIVE of the following conditions:

You notice this is carefully worded with the word "originally" so that that scooter pictured above is permitted. :wink:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jrsjr wrote:
az_slynch wrote:

You notice this is carefully worded with the word "originally" so that that scooter pictured above is permitted. :wink:
I was wondering how Bill Murar got his Allstate Compact approved. Top tank, 12" wheels and a engine separate from the swingarm. Those scooters only meet .4 and .5 for the rules. Still, I'd like to see one run again. I have a '65 with the larger, non-sloping tank for better range. If I was serious, I'd toss the stock crank, swap in a Rito and put SwainTech coatings on the head and piston...give that little spud a fighting chance!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

az_slynch wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
az_slynch wrote: From the Scooter Cannonball Rulebook:

I was wondering how Bill Murar got his Allstate Compact approved. Top tank, 12" wheels and a engine separate from the swingarm. Those scooters only meet .4 and .5 for the rules. Still, I'd like to see one run again. I have a '65 with the larger, non-sloping tank for better range. If I was serious, I'd toss the stock crank, swap in a Rito and put SwainTech coatings on the head and piston...give that little spud a fighting chance!
They changed the rules after Bill's run.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jrsjr wrote:
az_slynch wrote:
jrsjr wrote: You notice this is carefully worded with the word "originally" so that that scooter pictured above is permitted. :wink:
They changed the rules after Bill's run.
Shame. Still wondering what happened to his Compact. He only had points for Day 1, and not too many. I assume it blew up and he didn't have the spares to fix it then. Or, riding a bike that's only good for 43mph max (manufacturer listing, probably under 40 in the real world) is very brutal!

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote: They changed the rules after Bill's run.
The rules change for pretty much every CBR. Remember...these are the rules for entry into the CBR...not the definition of a scooter.

2012 was unlimited ccs and any motor you could stuff in there. 2014 was 250 cc max and had to be a motor with engine and transmission in one unit.

What will it be for 2016? There is some talk of 200cc max. I hope not, I want to run my 79 P200 modified to 225cc in s 64 Vespa GL.

If it changes to 200 max..well time to go back to stock! Hmmmm maybe the TV 175?
www.teamscootertrash.com

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

To get back to the OP for just a moment...

The winning bid was $15,500.
Attachments
Cushman Harley Sold.JPG
Cushman Harley Sold.JPG (52.07 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
GigiB

Post by GigiB »

Visiting my cousin recently, he had to show me the new toy his wife had bought him, a 350cc Vespa. "It can go over 95mph!"

All I can assume is that his wife doesn't like him very much, and he has a LOT of life insurance.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

GigiB wrote:Visiting my cousin recently, he had to show me the new toy his wife had bought him, a 350cc Vespa. "It can go over 95mph!"

All I can assume is that his wife doesn't like him very much, and he has a LOT of life insurance.

Probably a BV 350 made by Piaggio. Very nice scooter same parent company but not a Vespa....and actually a 330cc...but piaggio doesn't have a habit of inflating the model number to make you think it's a bigger motor :mrgreen:

I think most people here would be pretty stoked if their other half hit them up with a BV.
www.teamscootertrash.com

GigiB

Post by GigiB »

Don't know, it LOOKED like a GTS, and he for sure said Vespa. I just looked up the BV 350 and I don't think that was it. But I have to admit to having both little knowledge of the models in question, and to having stumbled upon a case of tequila on the first day of the trip, which I was trying to make disappear in a very dedicated and systematic way.

My husband and I were impressed, but not to the point of covetousness, much less personal desire. We are both quite satisfied with our 150cc scooters, not to mention the thousands of dollars not spent on what I can only consider a flaming death machine. No way I'm going THAT fast on wheels that small. I say if you want to do highway speeds+, get a motorcycle already.