2005 Stella 2T - clutch/shifting issue help?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Christy-go

2005 Stella 2T - clutch/shifting issue help?

Post by Christy-go »

Hi there, I'm new to this site.
I bought a 2005 Stella 2T from a friend of mine, and it's having some issues that I can't diagnose.
It is not smooth at all when shifting gears. I feel resistance often when I am at a stop and trying to put it in 1st. I have to squeeze the clutch exceptionally hard. It feels that way up shifting too. Additionally, it seems to slip into neutral on occasion between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th. I'm not sure if it's a two part problem - clutch cable for one and maybe the clutch itself for the slipping?
This issue makes it hard for me to ride without being focused on shifting, instead of everything else.

Appreciate any help!

Christy
viney266

Post by viney266 »

First thing, change the gear box oil for some fresh stuff. I use a high end spectro synthetic. It helps. The false neutrals are normal if you are new to a stella. These bikes don't have syncros like a modern car and all the gears are straight cut. Which means it takes some practice to shift smooth.

Also, it does sound like your brass bushing may be worn out or broken, This is common on a stock stella. The Italian or German ones last much longer. This will mean removing the clutch cover and checking the brass plunger on the end of the lever. BEFORE, you do that make sure the cable is adjusted properly.
Hope all that helps.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Christy-go

Post by Christy-go »

Yes, thank you! I did change the oil in the gear box. The info about how the gears work is good to know. I will check out the bushing next, and the cable. Thank you again.