Scooter Friendly Places

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

polianarchy wrote:Corsair, you devil, you! Good luck with your move. I'm still counting down the 18 months till I can leave Philly with my career intact. O, and FWIW, I think Austin, TX is a fun place to live.

And yes, Keys, I'm looking at AZ pretty hard! :D

Austin is a pretty nice place to live, I'm just trying to stay far enough from my family so that I'm not guilted into visiting. Kidding! (kind of).

We have definitely been hearing great things about Atlanta and North Carolina. Anyone in that neck of the woods care to share some pics?
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Corsair wrote:what have been some nice places you guys have visited (in the US) that you wish you would have brought your scooter? If you moved some place else tomorrow where would it be? Why?
Seattle - already been talked about in detail by scullyfu - one of the most beautiful cities on a sunny day
Portland, OR - also been discussed a little - urban and outdoorsy feeling - not as crowded as Seattle - very little snow in winter
Spokane - went to college there and agree with what gt1000 said - has a lot to offer for a smaller town and the cost of living is much cheaper than Portland or Seattle - but definitely can have cold winters with some snow - would seriously consider moving back there

Asheville, NC - a city we've visited lately and wished I would have had a scooter - riding the Blue Ridge Parkway would be a blast! - another place I'd consider moving to - not sure about winter weather there

SF Bay Area - grew up south of SF - lots of scooterists and clubs there now - cost of living is incredibly high - mild weather year round - a little cold and rainy in winter, practically no humidity in summer

Cincinnati - currently where we're living and where I've been introduced to scooting - definitely scooter friendly here - cost of living is good (much better than most of the places I've mentioned so far) - winters can be very cold but with little snow
Keys

Post by Keys »

Well, Polianarchy, if you DO make it out here to AZ, I can put you in touch with some fabulous scooterists pretty anywhere you'd choose to settle. And if you make it up my way, I'd be tickled to show you some of the best scooter roads in existance!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Syd

Post by Syd »

Keys wrote:Well, Polianarchy, if you DO make it out here to AZ, I can put you in touch with some fabulous scooterists pretty anywhere you'd choose to settle. And if you make it up my way, I'd be tickled to show you some of the best scooter roads in existance!
Listen to Keys, Polianarchy, He knows what he's talking about. The roads he rides are fun in a car. I have ridden some of them and they are much better on two wheels. What's best, though, is when it gets too cold in Keys' neck of the woods, you are a couple hours away from downright balmy.

There's not as much good riding in Phoenix but it sure is a nice place to warm the bones on a winter weekend.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Syd wrote:Listen to Keys, Polianarchy, He knows what he's talking about. The roads he rides are fun in a car. I have ridden some of them and they are much better on two wheels. What's best, though, is when it gets too cold in Keys' neck of the woods, you are a couple hours away from downright balmy.

There's not as much good riding in Phoenix but it sure is a nice place to warm the bones on a winter weekend.
So I hear! I'm planning on visiting my friends in Phoenix next winter to see how I like it. And during that visit, I'll be sure to explore as much of the state as possible. This is some long-range planning I've got going on here, but my next move is DEFINITELY south, and MOST LIKELY southwest. Thanks for the tips, Syd. :D
ModBud #442
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Keys wrote:Well, Polianarchy, if you DO make it out here to AZ, I can put you in touch with some fabulous scooterists pretty anywhere you'd choose to settle. And if you make it up my way, I'd be tickled to show you some of the best scooter roads in existance!

--Keys 8)
You know it, Keys! I'll see you next year, then. 8)
ModBud #442
kgentile

Post by kgentile »

Hey Guys! I'm new to the scooter world and realized that while you're all wanting to travel to scooter friendly places, why not REFORM a non-scooter friendly city? My family represents scooters all over the US including Chicago and Seattle, now I've added Fort Worth, TX to the list!

While people LOVE my buddy and I get great comments about it, I'm one of few "scooterists" on the road. I know my local shop has a club that rides together once a month, but I'd love to bring more scooters to "The Worth". I'm a Chicagoan relocated and think the weather here is perfect to scoot and don't understand why more people don't take up the hobby. So come on down to Cow Town and show these texans what it's all about!

BTW when my boyfriend and I ride about I get a LOT more comments about my Buddy than he does about his Ducati :D HA HA!
lastbestwoman

Post by lastbestwoman »

Hi from Bozeman. Still waiting for spring so I can finally purchase a new buddy. Today there is 3 inches of snow on the ground and about 20 degrees outstide. Scooter weather? NOT. We have one buddy dealership which is actually a converted garage in the back of a coffeehouse. Although I can't wait for spring when I can finally get my scooter-I wouldn't say I'll be part of a scooter scene. Maybe once every other week or so I'll see a scooter, and that is most likely ridden by the owner of the dealership, or his brother (shout out to Christian and Abe!)...

That said, I'm not sure why scootering isn't more popular here. We could ride for a good 7 or 8 months, and there are plenty of (crazy) cyclists that outfit their bikes with studs or whatever and will ride in ANYTHING-all year. Bozeman is a great community-very forward thinking with a university. Cost of living is high though. And although we have very low unemployment, most of the jobs are low paying with no benefits. Missoula otoh has a bigger scooter dealership and a larger scooter community, but still long cold, snowy winters. People don't move here for the weather.
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

I may have missed it but where is bozeman?
-Spike Spiegel

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lojical1 wrote:I may have missed it but where is bozeman?
Montana, unless there's another one out there somewhere.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I always wanted to relocate to Alaska but my wife wants to stay in LA. I told her I'd be happy to compromise and move to Montana.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

soooo. Portland scooterers: is the whole town scooterable? can you work in one part of the city or county and and reasonably scooter to the other (no inner states, thanks!) A little rain is ok, but downpours may not work. Are cagers pretty cognizant of scooters, even at night? Do people easily live by public transport and scooter? thats all!
lastbestwoman

Post by lastbestwoman »

Sorry for the ignorance, but what's a "cager"? :oops:
cccous

Post by cccous »

Sorry for the ignorance, but what's a "cager"?
People trapped in their cars (cages)
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

lastbestwoman wrote:Sorry for the ignorance, but what's a "cager"? :oops:
those people in cars, including me sometimes (cage= enclosed, clumsy car feels like a cage, don't you know?)
250koala

Post by 250koala »

Just wanted to put in votes for Tucson( my hometown) and Santa Fe( my home to be. I have a 5 year plan.)

I suspect I wont get to ride all year in Santa Fe though. I get cold.
louie

Post by louie »

hi logical1 and corsair, i'm the one who has asked you to check on birmingham, al.
I've got 2 things.
1, a local tv station announced (by whose measures i don't know) that bham has the lowest unemployment ratings than any other city with over a million people. yeeha. i've got one.

and 2, i met, however breifly (they were leaving as i was arriving at the weekly scooter talk and coffee meetup) a couple with a burgman scooter who just moved from detroit a couple of months ago. so you see, it's just the place for detroit runaways like yourselves...or are ya'll from chicago?
Valgal20

I Second the Motion!

Post by Valgal20 »

I agree with Keys! AZ is the place to be! Its pretty and scenic and all that jazz! Lots of great places to hang out, or go skinny dipping, or just scoot the day away! :)
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

How is the weather of AZ these days? My sister says Austin was pretty chilly today and I'm curious about the weather in the south/sw these days.
-Spike Spiegel

shark

Post by shark »

lojical1 wrote:How is the weather of AZ these days? My sister says Austin was pretty chilly today and I'm curious about the weather in the south/sw these days.
Austin has been dang chilly the last few days. I just took a ride around the block(38F). That was enough to wake me up and put it back in the garage.
Valgal20

AZ Weather

Post by Valgal20 »

Well- Today- Dead of Winter- Freezing Cold-
8) Yea, its going to be 62* 8)
We actually got down to freezing a few nights ago- I saw ice puddles, it was cool! Day time temps between 60-65, maybe a light breeze, but sunny and clear.(except in phoenix) The sun warms you up, so you have to take layers off by mid day. we're expecting rain this week (LOL- RAIN!-more like a spittle) If you want to scoot anywhere- Here Is The Place To Be!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Austin TX here we come!

Yep, we've finally made our decision. Looking forward to riding with you all :D
shdyldy

Post by shdyldy »

When I left Detroit,about 8 years ago, I ended up in Fresno,CA...which is where I still am. There is not a whole lot to do here,however you are only 2hrs from mountains and snow,or 2hrs from the beach. If you want to travel a little more,you can take a 3hr drive and be in SF or a 4hr drive and be in LA. There are a few scooters in the area,I think they even have a little club,but there alot of bikes and alot of friendly people. Oh and if you can handle riding in cold weather,like 30 degrees,you can ride almost year round...... :D :D :D
Christy

Post by Christy »

Corsair wrote:Austin TX here we come!

Yep, we've finally made our decision. Looking forward to riding with you all :D
Dude! This is the first time I have seen this thread and was working up all the reasons to move to Texas in my head as i was reading everyones posts and boom! here you come.

I'm north of Dallas but still glad to have you come join our state! Austin is amazing!
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

I agree with Keys, Arizona is very nice- but phoenix is NOT the place to be, maybe Tuscon, or north like Payson, or maybe east Mesa, Scottsdale, Tempe. There are a growing population of scooterists here, and Scooter Invasion is a very friendly scooter dealership. Phoenix has too many drivers (rude, overheated) AND, with our forclosure rate SKYROCKETING, I bet you could get a place out here pretty cheap- AND, with all the mexican people being kicked out, there are more jobs here! Just watch out for the Old People! Stay off the streets Tuesday and Wednesday-day to avaoid the rush of seniors looking for a discount! I think they are the scarriest, but they can be easily avoided, just stay away from Sunland Village! Good Luck on Home Buying! Enjoy Wherever You Go! 8)
maribell

Post by maribell »

Alright! Hope to see you around!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

peabody99 wrote:soooo. Portland scooterers: is the whole town scooterable? can you work in one part of the city or county and and reasonably scooter to the other (no inner states, thanks!) A little rain is ok, but downpours may not work. Are cagers pretty cognizant of scooters, even at night? Do people easily live by public transport and scooter? thats all!
Portland is a very scooter friendly town. Also a very bicycle friendly town. Sure you can commute from one part of town to another. Portland is not all that big. About the only thing that wouldn't work is to live in Vancouver, WA and try to commute across one of the big bridges every day. Really mild climate in Portland. Snow is quite rare. Been riding my scoot in weather in the 50s to low 60s the last few days. You do need cold weather riding gear. Portland also gets its share of rain - read 6 months of gray days with occasional drizzling rain. Downpours (heavy rain) are rare here though.

Portland is the original public transport town - the light rail system here is world class! Portland is also the microbrew and coffee capital of the US (sorry Seattle). The Buddy, Stella and Vespa dealer here (Portland Vespa) is first rate.
louie

Post by louie »

corsair and logical1 glad you hear you made a great decision. i almost moved to austin myself, from LA. i ended up back in bham though. the 2 places are similar and i'm sure you will love it. the peeps seem quite friendly in austin. hate that you're not joining us in bham though.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

louie wrote:corsair and logical1 glad you hear you made a great decision. i almost moved to austin myself, from LA. i ended up back in bham though. the 2 places are similar and i'm sure you will love it. the peeps seem quite friendly in austin. hate that you're not joining us in bham though.
My parents own property in AL and may be moving to Birmingham (my pops is retiring next year). I actually have family that currently lives throughout AL. I don't know them well but they're there :)
louie

Post by louie »

i wrote about the couple from detroit that moved here last fall. Well he is now the saleman at the magic city motor scooters (our new and only scooter shop) he rides a 500 kymco. i spent some time talking with him today whilst i tried on all the corazzo goodies and fulmer helmets.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

:)
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

corsair good luck with the move im sure its warmer there that here in michigan. my sister just moved to portland. quess im stuck here in old mich. ... house 3 cars camper wife kid .. thats just tomuch to pickup and move to another state. that and i need a good paying job and jobs are something in the short and coming.
Ms. Milan

Post by Ms. Milan »

Before you leave Michigan, make sure you come by a A3SC meetup. Hopefully you will still be around when the weather gets better. I have had a blast riding with these folks. Its an awesome group of people.

As for scooter friendly places, stay away from Miami. Its all about the fast cars there. I lived there for 10 years and unfortunately lost a dear friend to a youngster who took the speed limit as a suggested speed. A beautiful city, just too many people. Now, Key West......you are talking paradise. Scooter paradise.

I love Ann Arbor and the beautiful roads outside of town. We took a ride out to Hell last summer. It was awesome.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Dooglas wrote:
peabody99 wrote:soooo. Portland scooterers: is the whole town scooterable? can you work in one part of the city or county and and reasonably scooter to the other (no inner states, thanks!) A little rain is ok, but downpours may not work. Are cagers pretty cognizant of scooters, even at night? Do people easily live by public transport and scooter? thats all!
Portland is a very scooter friendly town.
Ok sounds good. But I guess you need a, sigh, job, to live there. :cry:
bobcat20

Post by bobcat20 »

Tucspn AZ is good for scootin. If you want to live in a nice part of town, you have to bring some $$$ and trust me, you DONT want to live in a bad side of town. The scooter shop (www.goscootover.com) is fantastic and the weather you cant beat. you can ride all year long and it cost a lot less to live here than it would in CA, FL, or Vegas.
"I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve, I have a history of losing my shirt." - BNL
bobcat20

Post by bobcat20 »

oh yeah, and as a HUGE buckeye fan, I am tickled that you are leaving Ann Arbor. Now, It has been years since I have been there, and I have never ridden a scooter there, but Columbus might not be a bad place (hehe) :wink:
"I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve, I have a history of losing my shirt." - BNL
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

lol. I don't want to wage a war here, but I am a Michigan alum. I like Ann Arbor alot, if it weren't for the ding dang snow! That, I definitely will not be sorry to leave behind.

GO BLUE!!
-Spike Spiegel

toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

lojical1 wrote:lol. I don't want to wage a war here, but I am a Michigan alum. I like Ann Arbor alot, if it weren't for the ding dang snow! That, I definitely will not be sorry to leave behind.

GO BLUE!!
I concur. GO BLUE
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Pshaw...

GO TEMPLE OWLS!!!
ModBud #442
maribell

Post by maribell »

well if we are going to play this game...

GO LONGHORNS!!!

this may be the first and last time that I display an excessive amount of school pride...
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

O, I thought we were just rubbing our recent basketball wins in each others' faces? Maybe bragging about how Temple is gonna TROUNCE Michigan on Thursday? Hmm??? :twisted:
ModBud #442
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

HAHA. I feel you maribell. Hopefully I get my focus and can become a longhorn for grad school. Hook 'em horns :lol:
-Spike Spiegel

Corsair

Post by Corsair »

GREATNEWS:
I'll be heading to Texas this weekend! Phase one of the big move has begun AND I'll even be bringing the scooters with me...lol We'll be in Round Rock temporarily while we try to find the right place in Austin. Hopefully whatever place we get into has a fitness center because it looks like I'm going to be eating GOOOOOOOOD once I get there (man Austin has some great restaurants!)

We really want to thank EVERYONE for all the help, advice, and encouragement. We're looking forward to a great life in TX

:D
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Corsair and Logical,
enjoy your new digs!

From someone also on the great white (amost all gone, now) north, I can tell you that right now I am very jealous. Please send some posts about the awfull heat in the middle of the summer so we northerners feel better about storing our scoots for 5 months of the year :cry:

Then again, you are scooting all year around, God that sound so good !

CONGRATS ! :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Texas BBQ? Check.
Decent TexMex? Check.
Aging hippy culinary idiot-savants? Check.
High-brow oil tycoon state senators, with the gourmet lifestyle to match? AND check!

I'm not jealous, much.... *cries over lack of Shiner Bock* :cry:
ModBud #442
Syd

Post by Syd »

polianarchy wrote:.... *cries over lack of Shiner Bock* :cry:
But Austin doesn't have Iron City.

Or Yuengling!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Syd wrote:But Austin doesn't have Iron City.

Or Yuengling!
Quiet, or I'll shoot.

Iron City? Hmmm...I guess that's from Pittsburgh? And bah -- Yuengling is just a step up from PBR. Frankly, I'd rather drink Lone Star. Yes, I said it.
ModBud #442
louie

Post by louie »

poli, it sounds like you might move back south soon? i here austin has schools and libraries :wink: :wink:
maribell

Post by maribell »

We do have Shiner in all it's glorious varieties. AND zeigenbock. AND lonestar if you like the cheap stuff. AND fireman's 4. AND more mexican beers than you could want.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

O THERE GOD I FORGOT ABOUT ZIEGENBOCK!!! :cry:

Indeed, louie! Austin also has one of the best library schools in the country, thus extra competitive. One day, I'll have the chops to compete with those folk though, woo!

Does anyone know if a buddy will fit into the back of a station wagon? :wink:
ModBud #442