Wind Screens & Top Speed

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

New2Scoots

Wind Screens & Top Speed

Post by New2Scoots »

What's your experience with wind screens & top speed? Any effect good or bad? Just curious because I'm thinking of getting one for summer. I always assumed no screen would be the coolest for summer but I just read a wind chill chart & above 90 degrees it actually reverses. At 100 degrees going 65 mph the wind "chill" is actually 105 degrees. It's over 100 degrees much of the summer where I live. I've got 3 different screens for my motorcycle but there's no place to do a top speed test without losing my license. 75+ at 110 degrees feels like riding through oven blast. I'm leaving the tall winter screen on this summer. Just wondering if a screen for my Buddy will slow it down, speed it up or neither. Off to work now, back in 12 hours.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Slow it down, speed it up, didn't much matter to me. Some here have said there is a speed improvement. Basic aerodynamics, the screen is going to be more rounded than your chest, air will better slip around you.
What makes the biggest difference to me, all that wind pressure is off my body, I arrive at destinations less fatigued.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I have a Cuppini that came with my Buddy (winter promo). I didn't realize how much wind blast there was, even in city driving, until I got my Vespa with no windscreen. The Buddy accelerates smoothly up to 60bmph and I don't even think about the wind, but if I get over 40 or so on the Vespa, it starts to get hinky - perhaps the rounded legshield is generating some 'lift'.

I bought a Cuppini screen for the Vespa but haven't mounted it up yet. The Mrs. ain't too happy, as she feels it would spoil the 'classic' look.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

KABarash wrote:What makes the biggest difference to me, all that wind pressure is off my body, I arrive at destinations less fatigued.
What he said. I had one on my 50 and after a few weeks on my 150, a windsheild is next on the "must have" list.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Here's the splits:

No Windscreen) Wind hits your body causing fatigue and slowing you down, both of which suck. Visibility is great, though.

Short Windscreen) A short windscreen cuts the air more cleanly, reducing fatigue and speeding you up a tiny bit. However, short windscreens may direct airflow right at your head, which sucks. Visibility is generally unaffected, though a medium height windscreen may cut into visibility of the road surface just ahead, which sucks.

Tall Windscreen) A tall windscreen cuts the air cleanly, reducing fatigue, but a tall windscreen adds drag (so may not be as aerodynamically efficient as short screen) which negates the top speed advantage of the short screen. Also, tall screens act like a "sail" in crosswinds which sucks.

Notes:
Blah - I am not a fan of looking through a windscreen. I'd much rather look over a shorter one.
Blah - Tall screens sometime generate turbulent air that buffets the rider's helmet. There are products that attach to the lip of the windscreen that are intended to direct air just over the rider's head, sometimes right at the passenger's head. :roll:
Blah - I hate "beading" of any kind on a windscreen because it distracts my vision. Hate it! However, beading gives the windscreen a different, more finished appearance that some folks prefer. Did I mention how much I hate beading on a windscreen?
Last edited by jrsjr on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slam

Post by Slam »

I added a Cuppini short windscreen and it anecdotally feels faster. I seem to hit 70 BMPH more often and quicker than I did without it. That said, I haven't done any real measurements and don't have any data to support this. I do feel less fatigued, but the wind noise is louder as the wind is now directed at my helmet, so I guess that's a trade off.

In general I'm happy with it.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I have the tall, custom cut down so that I can see over it.
Trimming it down is the best of both short/tall worlds (but I never have a passenger, so don't know if the wind would hit them on their head...).

There's a tutorial on here somewhere with instructions for cutting acrylic. (I traded off someone who cut this one too short for them, so I didn't cut it myself.)

I hate riding without it, for all the reasons everyone else is talking about.
Scooter Commuter
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

We are a family of three Buddy scoots and once we put the windscreens on they stay on they are that good - at least anything sustained over 45 bmph.

They do help the top speed in our opinion. They do reduce fatigue and stress while riding and yes we have ridden with them year round. They do allow you to ride faster at longer distances and keep that crazy smile plastered to your face maybe in part knowing the guy next to you (or behind you) ate those bugs that flew right by you!

We clean all the plastic/acrylic parts with the Original Bike Spirits often especially when the mirrors or windscreen shows any sign of being dirty so we see just fine. See our different Buddy pictures in the gallery if interested.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I put a windshield on everything I own. From my SYM HD200 to my 50cc Yamaha. I can't really give you the effects on top speed, but it sure makes the ride much more enjoyable. I like the top of the windshield to be a little below my chin. This forces the majority of the wind up above my helmet, and if it is cold out, I can comfortably duck behind it. I like the Slipstreamer Scooter series, but their stock shapes are pretty limiting. I always have to modify the shape.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrsjr wrote:Short Windscreen.....
Tall Windscreen.......
You left out what most of us use - a mid-height windscreen. Tall enough to deflect most of the air flow over your head and short enough so you can see over it. That is also the most efficient for streamlining. Sometimes you get lucky and find one that works for you out of the box - and sometimes you need to trim the screen to get the right height.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

MYSCTR wrote: We clean all the plastic/acrylic parts with the Original Bike Spirits often especially when the mirrors or windscreen shows any sign of being dirty so we see just fine. See our different Buddy pictures in the gallery if interested.
My problem with seeing through it is always with rain... not dirt.
Scooter Commuter
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

sunshinen wrote:
MYSCTR wrote: We clean all the plastic/acrylic parts... when the mirrors or windscreen shows any sign of being dirty...
My problem with seeing through it is always with rain... not dirt.
We found riding faster helps keep the rain (ice, snow, etc) off the screen. :P
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Me? I won't own a windscreen I have to look through, but a mid height one that I can look over? it DOES help with some rider fatigue on long rides. If you spend all day in the saddle it just means less wind resistance to fight all day. It DOES help.
The speed thing? I was VERY skeptical of some of the claims. So, one day, we had the time at the shop. We ran the same stellas over a little speed run, with and without windscreens. I will be damned, we saw 2-3 MPH EVERY time WITH the wind screen in place. Three different riders and all trying to me as consistent as possible. So, they do make you a bit more slippery.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Thanks all of you for the replies. I think I'll get a short/medium screen once it starts getting hot.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Dooglas wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Short Windscreen.....
Tall Windscreen.......
You left out what most of us use - a mid-height windscreen. Tall enough to deflect most of the air flow over your head and short enough so you can see over it. That is also the most efficient for streamlining. Sometimes you get lucky and find one that works for you out of the box - and sometimes you need to trim the screen to get the right height.
What Cuppini and Scooterworks call a "short" is really a medium height screen, comparable to the Prima medium, for example. Anything in the 'flyscreen' family I'd call short. But I haven't really seen any/many of those for the Buddy, more for the Stella/Vespa.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

I put a midsize on our Buddy because I've been caught in Texas rain more than once. Those big raindrops hurt at speed even with a jacket on. When my son started riding it he took the windscreen off when he was swapping some panels to two tone the scoot. He thought it looked better without it. First time he got caught in rain with big drops on his way home from school the windshield went back on.

For me anything above 40 is just so much more comfortable with a windshield. I won't ride the Vespa or any of our other bigger scoots without a windshield if I even think I might go over 70.
MrIcky

Post by MrIcky »

My hooligan's top speed is increased by 3 mph with a windscreen. My commute is 18 miles 1 way and it was not fun without the windscreen. Fatigue, bugs, things flapping, getting grit blown at you by oncoming farm equipment... The windshield was worth every penny.

I think if my regular rides were less than 5 miles I'd probably go without for aesthetic reasons.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Well, shame on me, but I dug out the Buddy 150 for the first time since last fall (been riding the Vespa P200E too much), and the 'quickness' is just amazing. Up to 45bmph before you know it. I attribute a lot of this, both the speed itself and the lack of windblast, to the Cuppini Short windshield.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I like my mid-high 'screen. The only problems are the bugs smoosh my helmet shield and the noise requires earplugs.
I think most of the acceleration we all love with our Buddy scoots is due to non-linear throttle opening. It feels like 1/2 throttle at 1/4 throttle twist.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Looking forward to the bug protection! I'm finding lots of scenic, winding country roads 40-60 mph but the bugs are thick after dark. Usually just around the ponds & creeks. Last ride I got pelted! Bug parts all over me & the scooter. Something smacked my face so hard I'm not sure if it was a huge grasshopper or a bird or bat but I nearly ran off the road. Ordered a Cuppini short screen that should be here this weekend. Until then I'm using my full face modular helmet.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

New2Scoots wrote:Looking forward to the bug protection! I'm finding lots of scenic, winding country roads 40-60 mph but the bugs are thick after dark. Usually just around the ponds & creeks. Last ride I got pelted! Bug parts all over me & the scooter. Something smacked my face so hard I'm not sure if it was a huge grasshopper or a bird or bat but I nearly ran off the road. Ordered a Cuppini short screen that should be here this weekend. Until then I'm using my full face modular helmet.
I had something big hit me square in the chest once, scared the sh*t out of me and hurt, even though I was wearing an insulated canvas jacket. Had a windshield, too, so it must have been flying across the road and timed just right to miss the legshield/windshield.