NSR-Hot sauce!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KrispyKreme

NSR-Hot sauce!!!

Post by KrispyKreme »

I'm a bit of a whore as far as hot sauces go. I do have a criteria. There are but three ingredients in a good sauce:Peppers, vinegar, salt. This is my current favorite. Crystal, from LA. The other two are fantastic as well! 8)

What are your favorites?
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (11.52 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
KooK

Post by KooK »

Crystal sucks in my opinion, and it's made right here in New Orleans. It is too vinegary and thin.
the Lousiana Hot sauce is my favorite, but I LOVE the Tabasco and Lousiana hot sauce Habanero sauce. another good hot sauce, but too damn expensive is Slap yo Mamma. it is very tasty, but at over $3 a bottle, they can keep it.

I also like the Winn Dixie store brand hot sauce, when it goes on sale, i buy the hell out of it. I have about 8 bottles of the Winn Dixie stuff(and extra hot) 3 bottles of Tabasco Habanero and 2 Louisiana Habanero on my shelf right now. I go through this stuff!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

KooK wrote:Crystal sucks in my opinion, and it's made right here in New Orleans. It is too vinegary and thin.
the Lousiana Hot sauce is my favorite, but I LOVE the Tabasco and Lousiana hot sauce Habanero sauce. another good hot sauce, but too damn expensive is Slap yo Mamma. it is very tasty, but at over $3 a bottle, they can keep it.

I also like the Winn Dixie store brand hot sauce, when it goes on sale, i buy the hell out of it. I have about 8 bottles of the Winn Dixie stuff(and extra hot) 3 bottles of Tabasco Habanero and 2 Louisiana Habanero on my shelf right now. I go through this stuff!
And this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I'm not with you on the "it's too vinegary and thin". I was born and raised in North Carolina where we cook the whole hog and slather it in a vinegar based sauce that doesn't cover up the taste of the meat.

And Crystal is what it is. Peppers, vinegar, salt. I don't like habernero sauce unless I am going for a "island" flavor with LOTS of pineapple. Like this.......
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (21.62 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Come to New Mexico and we can talk... R
Syd

Post by Syd »

still shifting wrote:Come to New Mexico and we can talk... R
Agreed. I like good green chile and love adobada, but Tabasco leaves me cold.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KooK

Post by KooK »

If you ever want something very hot and extremely delicious. Got to the Tabasco plant and get a load of the mash. Not sure if they sell it(probably) but it is so delicious! And I learned the hard way, a very little goes a long long way!
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

i like Lucky Dog's selections. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Not the hottest but I really like the flavor!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Cholula is a great tasting sauce, BuddyRaton, and I am quite jealous of you guys out west with all those wonderful chilis and flavors.

I've never tried "Lucky Dog" sauces. I'll have to put an order in. :)
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (12.9 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
scootdad

NSR-Hot sauce!!!

Post by scootdad »

Cholula is good, Crystal is good, Frank's is good, but Secret Aardvark is very good.
Attachments
Secret Aardvark!
Secret Aardvark!
secret aardvarka.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

I like the hot sauce named Scorned Woman. I mean, I think the name is terrific, but I have never tasted it. :lol:

http://peppers.com/?wpsc-product=scorne ... sauce-5-oz
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

snoozy wrote:I like the hot sauce named Scorned Woman. I mean, I think the name is terrific, but I have never tasted it. :lol:

http://peppers.com/?wpsc-product=scorne ... sauce-5-oz

I've had that. :) It's a good middle of the road sauce.

As for "Secret Aardvark", I am intrigued! They also have a "jerk" sauce I've got to try. That's another order I've sent in. That's two because of this thread! Lock, please, John. :sigh:
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Add 1 part orande juice , 1 part orange marmalade, 2 parts hot sauce, (not too vinegary), and 2 parts Hot Red Chili Sauce; mix well. A good marinade, dipping sauce or dressing over ribs, pork or chicken. As well as tamales... R
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

still shifting wrote:Add 1 part orande juice , 1 part orange marmalade, 2 parts hot sauce, (not too vinegary), and 2 parts Hot Red Chili Sauce; mix well. A good marinade, dipping sauce or dressing over ribs, pork or chicken. As well as tamales... R
That sounds fantastic. You could probably substitute pineapple for the orange. Sweet and hot. Man I am craving tamales now........
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

KrispyKreme wrote:
still shifting wrote:Add 1 part orande juice , 1 part orange marmalade, 2 parts hot sauce, (not too vinegary), and 2 parts Hot Red Chili Sauce; mix well. A good marinade, dipping sauce or dressing over ribs, pork or chicken. As well as tamales... R
That sounds fantastic. You could probably substitute pineapple for the orange. Sweet and hot. Man I am craving tamales now........
TAMALES!!! Man... that pineapple sounds good.

I confess I love making my own salsa for 2 reasons:
  1. I like it HOT, and since leaving Texas, I have been unable to find it hot enough.
  2. I don't like the over-powering vinegar taste of most hot sauces.
  3. I love pineapple.
Yeah, that was 3, not 2. But 3 is a bonus.
Scooter Commuter
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

sunshinen wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:
TAMALES!!! Man... that pineapple sounds good.

I confess I love making my own salsa for 2 reasons:
  1. I like it HOT, and since leaving Texas, I have been unable to find it hot enough.
  2. I don't like the over-powering vinegar taste of most hot sauces.
  3. I love pineapple.
Yeah, that was 3, not 2. But 3 is a bonus.
FRESH is the best. SUN try some good pepper paste out there. There are many kinds. Thick stuff!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Hmm Pineapples that is an interesting thought! R
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm hungry!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Surprised that this one hasn't been mentioned yet.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

^^^^Rooster sriracha is probably the one that started that whole phenom. I love the stuff. Texas Pete makes a very good one now. Beware of some imitators out there because there are some crappy ones.

Funny side-note on the rooster sauce I read was that it has a loyal following in correctional institutions. I suppose it could also be used to blind a person temporarily, or add a little "spice" to prison sex. :shock:

Here's the Texas Pete brand. The only problem I have with it is that it's a flip-top, not a twist lid. It keeps getting gummed up. Bad design.
Attachments
imagesVBSD7ODZ.jpg
imagesVBSD7ODZ.jpg (7.46 KiB) Viewed 1873 times