Stella 2T doesn't idle, dies as you open the throttle

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Chatis

Stella 2T doesn't idle, dies as you open the throttle

Post by Chatis »

Hi All,

I took possession of my brand new 2003 Stella 2T today. Brand new because it only had 345 miles on the clock. But the bike has been sitting for many years – outside under a tarp. The bike did start and I rode it home – a very difficult ride. Had to keep the revs up and every time I went up a hill it died. Pushed up many hills.

Once I got home I drained the fuel tank and cleaned the jets. There was rust in the gas that I drained. In the carb the filter in the top of the bowl was perfectly clean. There seems to be a hole at the bottom of both jets that is plugged. Is this supposed to be open?? All the other holes were cleaned. Sprayed it down with carb cleaner and reassembled. Reassembled the carb and put in fresh gas. It would not start easily and when it did with the choke out, it dies as soon as the throttle is opened. Dies if the choke is pushed back in. It is now not running. I pulled the spark plug and the electrode is chocolate brown.

There was a rodent nest in the spare wheel!!

Do I need to rebuild the carb?
Do I need to remove the tank?
Could the filter under the tank be clogged?
Electrical issue? Battery is dead!
What else could be wrong?

Any wisdom appreciated. Apologies in advance if this has already been asked and answered!
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Congrats on the purchase! Sorry to hear about your troubles though...

Yes I would check the fuel filter and air filter. The fuel filter is almost assuredly clogged... Any chance to clean the line from the tank all the way down to the carb?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

The rodents probably nested in the airbox and bellows too
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If there was rust in the tank there could be rust in the fuel tap. I would check the fuel flow
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Chatis

Post by Chatis »

Thanks for the responses. Cleaned the jets. Starts and runs with choke open. Close the choke and the bike idles but if left it dies. If you throttle it dies and then catches itself.

Some other observations for a bike that has less than 400 miles. There is oily residue coming from the exhaust to engine connection - right by the kick start connection. There is also oil in the carb box that has leaked out the mixture hole over the back of the engine/starter. It looks like the previous owner removed the clamps and replaced it with "better' clamp. This seems like a lot for a bike with less than 400 miles on it. But it is 11 years old!

Do any of these have the possibility of causing the lack of idling/maintaining/dyeing/etc.?

Much thanks,
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Id day to yank off the fuel hose at the carb and open the petcock tonsee if you have a great amount of free fuel flow. Open the gas cap too..
If you have good fuel flow, them put in fresh 93 octane gas and a bit of seafoam additive, then drive the crap out of it for as long as you can.. it may fix it up.. possibly.
good luck
J H
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

also, in the same place where you got to the Jets, there is a quarter-sized cover that is held on with a couple of screws, underneath. Cover lies a screen. you might want to pull that screen out and check it and clean it real good then put it back together and tighten up all the screws how you may find an air leak which will manifest itself as a high idle
J H
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

jimmbomb wrote:also, in the same place where you got to the Jets, there is a quarter-sized cover that is held on with a couple of screws, underneath. Cover lies a screen. you might want to pull that screen out and check it and clean it real good then put it back together and tighten up all the screws how you may find an air leak which will manifest itself as a high idle
Uh, What?

Are you trying to describe the oil pump? Its held down with two screws but it doesn't have a screen.

The fuel filter inside the carburetor only has a single screw holding the cover on it.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

JohnKiniston wrote:
jimmbomb wrote:also, in the same place where you got to the Jets, there is a quarter-sized cover that is held on with a couple of screws, underneath. Cover lies a screen. you might want to pull that screen out and check it and clean it real good then put it back together and tighten up all the screws how you may find an air leak which will manifest itself as a high idle
Uh, What?

Are you trying to describe the oil pump? Its held down with two screws but it doesn't have a screen.

The fuel filter inside the carburetor only has a single screw holding the cover on it.
ooops. My bad.. sorry
J H
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Carburetor:

Fuel Filter:

Oil Pump:

Don't take the Oil pump apart!
Chatis

Post by Chatis »

I cleaned and rebuilt the carb and voila - she runs... Went for a nice ride today - no issues. :D

I then filled the 2T tank. Interesting that it took a full 32 Fl Ounces and the volume in the neck never seemed to raise. Can you overfill the 2T tank? How do you know how much is in there?

I left the scoot in the garage and came inside to get a drink. A few hours later there were oil drops on the floor. Looks like it is dripping off the gear selector box/rear of engine. It was warm; the oil. Light was bad so I didn't see the color.

Where can the oil be coming from? Is it 2T or engine oil? My 63 VBB also leaks and drops from there but that leak is from the clutch arm and I don't have 2T oil.

On a whim I just removed the cover from the carb box. There is two stroke oil in the carb box. Its clean and blue so its the new fluid. I only put the fluid in after the ride - so it must have been the top up I put in. The line from the oil to the injector is tight. New gaskets on the carb - but not under the carb box. Carb tightened down - i could go tighter but I don't want to screw up the thread.

Any ideas?

Any help appreciated!!

This is an 11 year old scooter that has been neglected. As my wife says I need to nurse it back to health.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

You should be able to tell which oil it is that is leaking by the color If your 2T oil is blue and your transmission oil is the standard brown.

Have you drained and refilled your transmission yet?
Chatis

Post by Chatis »

Have not yet drained the engine oil. I will be doing that soon.

I think I have found the reason for the oil in the carb air box.

There is a channel that goes under the carb air box on injected units. The oil travels in this channel and against the airbox gasket and then UP into the carb and into the bowl. I never thought of anything going UP so when my gasket never had the hole i thought I could leave it without the hole. So i have blocked the channel.

This explains it: http://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/engine/ ... vespa.html

New gasket with a hole this evening.
Chatis

Post by Chatis »

Wanted to share with you my home made gasket has stopped the leak inside the carb box. Scoot is running well and I am having fun riding it around. There is 2T oil weeping from what looks like the reed valve but I will live with that for now.

Pissed that the weekend is going to rain - I WANT TO RIDE....