Chasing down a crazy revving Stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Chasing down a crazy revving Stella

Post by RoaringTodd »

Brought home my Stella from the dealer who performed a spring tune up and went over everything. I trust this dealer, and I know he does good work.

I trailered the Stella home (about 2 1/2) hour home. The next day was a beautiful day - took Margs out for a spin. The engine was difficult to start, and immediately started revving high. I have a trail tech and I was hitting 7,000 - 8,000 RPMS. Only by pulling the choke or hitting the kill engine button could I get Margs to stop. I slowly rode her home.

The dealer said he test rode her, and when I had Margs before dropping her off, everything was working well. Not a dealer issue.

WHAT COULD CAUSE an engine to suddenly rev up after working normally, and going on a trailer ride?

I've pulled the jet, cleaned it, and put back. Everything else looks good. Throttle is moving freely.

Today I tried riding Margs to work. She did better, however, the revs were really high, at about 3,000-4,000k in neutral.

Can any of you give me an idea what could cause something to vibrate loose or out of place on a trailer ride?

Have my first rally in two weeks and I was hoping to take Mags on a 3 hour ride up to the Poconos.

Todd
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Could be the clip on the jet needle getting stuck. Might make sure it is in not wedged in the wrong position.
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

If you're in Philly, why do you go 2 1/2 hours to a dealer? Philly Scooters on Passyunk is great.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Dealer is a close personal friend of mine.

I've shopped at Philly Scooters, and am excited for their new location. I think they'll do great at that location.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

It could be the idle adjust screw got vibrated to a high rev setting during the trailer ride home?
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

RoaringTodd wrote:Dealer is a close personal friend of mine.

I've shopped at Philly Scooters, and am excited for their new location.
??? They're moving?
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Throttle slide sticking?
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Good suggestions above on checking the idle screw and sticking slide. I really don't know why but often the 2Ts just don't like to be trailered!

You can take the top off the carb box and see if the slide is sticking. Sometimes this can happen if the carb bolts are torqued down too much. I have had it happen torquing down a carb to spec. Or they could have loosened during the ride.

More than likely you have an air leak somewhere. It could be several places..the carb base, the air box gasket, head leak, fly side oil seal.

You can try the carb cleaner method to track it down. Start the motor..spray some cleaner at the carb base and see if the idle drops. Same thing with the air box base.

I would also retorque the head bolts to spec

One thing is don't ride it or run it very long with that high idle. If it is an air leak...and it may not be...the motor will run hot very quickly.

Keep us updated!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Todd...are you hitting up Amerivespa this year?
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

BigDaddy - I saw mention on the Royal Bastards Scooter Club of Philadelphia FB page of the future building for Philly Scooters at York and Cedar, Philadelphia. (Fishtown/Kensington) Don't know when the move is.

I think I chased down the air leak. When giving the scoot a good stare down trying to figure out what was causing the revs, I noticed the exhaust had come loose from the header. Tightened that up, and tightened the bolts holding on the carb. Seems to have done it... I haven't been able to get out since Monday to fully test, but all the testing I did on Monday seems to have resolved the revving. Fingers crossed!

BR - No I am not going to Amerivespa. Weekends are full with local rallies :D
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

RoaringTodd wrote:BigDaddy - I saw mention on the Royal Bastards Scooter Club of Philadelphia FB page of the future building for Philly Scooters at York and Cedar, Philadelphia. (Fishtown/Kensington) Don't know when the move is.

I think I chased down the air leak. When giving the scoot a good stare down trying to figure out what was causing the revs, I noticed the exhaust had come loose from the header. Tightened that up, and tightened the bolts holding on the carb. Seems to have done it... I haven't been able to get out since Monday to fully test, but all the testing I did on Monday seems to have resolved the revving. Fingers crossed!

BR - No I am not going to Amerivespa. Weekends are full with local rallies :D
Good catch on checking the exhaust too.

Sorry you're not going to make AV...but we will run into each other somewhere!
www.teamscootertrash.com

BigDaddy SnakeOiler

RoaringTodd wrote:... I saw mention on the Royal Bastards Scooter Club of Philadelphia FB page of the future building for Philly Scooters at York and Cedar, Philadelphia
Noooooo, The thing I like best is that they're a block from my house. I would hate to have to go across town.
Wasn't the original Philly Stella dealer out Kennsington/Fishtown way. Back in the early Oughts?
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>