My scooter battery keeps cooking! What do I test next?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

spazfishy

My scooter battery keeps cooking! What do I test next?

Post by spazfishy »

Guys, I have a problem and hoping an expert can help me. I have a CFmoto glory and it is cooking batteries. I have literally gone through 4 batteries now and each one of them are completely drained of acid also leaving a nice ruined paint job on the scooter too as the acid was leaving. I have tested to see if the battery is receiving a charge and it is but if I leave the battery connected over a week or two I will come back to a completely dead battery drained of all acid. This is with the scooter simply being stored, nothing running. Does anyone know what I need to replace or test to fix this. I am about to sell it as is cause I cannot continue to buy batteries.. Thank you
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

when you tested it how many volts was it reading? when it's running how many volts is it reading? when it"s parked do you have it on a charger?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Replace your voltage regulator. It is almost certainly bad. They're not expensive or hard to replace. Good luck.
Dooglas

Re: My scooter battery keeps cooking! What do I test next?

Post by Dooglas »

spazfishy wrote:....... but if I leave the battery connected over a week or two I will come back to a completely dead battery drained of all acid. This is with the scooter simply being stored, nothing running.
As youkiddin asked - do you have it on a charger? If so, what kind of a charger? The voltage regulator isn't the problem if this happens while the bike is parked. Another possibility is a dead short , but that should blow a fuse.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I apologize. I didn't read your post carefully enough. My bad. The others are right, if your battery is boiling dry during 2 weeks on a charger, then I'd be very suspicious of it. Battery Tender Jrs are extremely cheap and easily available. I'd give your old charger the boot and get a Battery Tender Jr, about $20 from Amazon.