GPS and Power Outlet

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Driller

GPS and Power Outlet

Post by Driller »

Some help, please.
Search has not revealed if the power outlet will support most GPS units with only the 1amp fuse. My unit does not say how much amperage it draws.
Any links or info would be appreciated.
Cheers!
Driller
"My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder."
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

I don't know if its supposed to support the gps or not, but my wife has used her garmin nuvi50 on her buddy. She did make sure the scooter was running when it was on though, in case it drew to much juice to suck the battery dry if not running.I too would like to know if its ok to do this.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Have a look at the manual for the GPS - back in the technical Stuff Nobody Reads, they usually list out the current draw along with the rest of the specifications.

I have a 2A fuse on my 12v socket. Yeah, I know, I couldn't find a 1A fuse at the auto parts store and the wiring I think was rated >=2A. It runs my Garmin Nuvi 255w (4.5") model just fine.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Dooglas

Re: GPS and Power Outlet

Post by Dooglas »

Driller wrote:My unit does not say how much amperage it draws.
I imagine that it does. Why don't you post the make and model you wish to use. I'm pretty sure someone can look it up for you.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I have a 3A fuse in my 12v outlet. No problem running a GPS or my heated gloves that that setup.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Driller wrote:Some help, please.
Search has not revealed if the power outlet will support most GPS units with only the 1amp fuse. My unit does not say how much amperage it draws.
Any links or info would be appreciated.
Cheers!
Driller
Shouldn't be a problem. I run a Garmin Nuvi on my 170i Italia with its stock fuse. I've even started the engine with the unit on without any problems. However, when using the GPS to find an address, engine and road noise blocks out the voice directions even at full volume so I have to spend more time glancing at the screen directions which is obviously distracting. So, be careful when using this feature.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
MrIcky

Post by MrIcky »

I run a garmin on my Hooligan which I assume is the same fuse. It's caused no issues.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

skipper20 wrote:Shouldn't be a problem. I run a Garmin Nuvi on my 170i Italia with its stock fuse. I've even started the engine with the unit on without any problems. However, when using the GPS to find an address, engine and road noise blocks out the voice directions even at full volume so I have to spend more time glancing at the screen directions which is obviously distracting. So, be careful when using this feature.
My Garmin is pretty old/cheap and is non-Bluetooth. There are some automobile models with Bluetooth, meant to integrate with car audio systems, which would work nice with my Sena Bluetooth helmet kit. The Sena can support both a phone and a second BT audio device. That'll be a feature of my _next_ GPS, I guess. For now, I'll either live with no audio prompts or use the GPS CoPilot app in my phone. And I really can't justify spending the $$$ on a Zumo or equivalent motorcycle-specific GPS, with the small miles I drive.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

You have not gotten back with the unit you wish to use. Just for perspective I looked up the power draw on the Garmin Nuvi 30/40/50 series units. The Garmin manual says that the unit's power cable incorporates a 1 A quick blow fuse. Sounds like a unit of that type would work connected to the Buddy's 12V outlet. The experience of others suggests that the outlet wiring would probably also tolerate a 2 A fuse if necessary. I personally wouldn't go any higher than that without rewiring the power lead to the outlet.