New and Scared

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ravenrose

New and Scared

Post by ravenrose »

Hi. I'm new to the forum (actually, I thought I'd registered awhile ago, but cannot find a previous username, so I (re?)registered). Please, please, be nice, that's all I ask :) I really want this to work, as this method of transportation fits my lifestyle the best (plus it's cool :D). I'm sorry this is really long, and I hope I can hold your attention long enough to offer advice.

I'm very new to driving anything on 2 wheels (often as a passenger as a kid, but not even that since my pre-teen years many moons ago), with only a little over 400 miles on my Buddy 125, and whatever in from MSF school to get my motorcycle endorsement.

I know I am new, so am trying to stay in situations that will allow me to act "new", but since I travel full-time, that's not always possible. Due to that, I've had enough accidents that I am now pretty much petrified of driving the scooter, but have no choice but to, or quit the coolest job I've ever had. :(

Since owning this scooter, I've had 1 minor (only resulted in a broken toe, and no damage to my mother's car [miscommunication between me and my dad; oops], but no big deal), and 2 bigger deal ones, both resulting in my being quite hurt (first one I tried to turn around in a place that was steeply uphill, but didn't know what else to do, and ended up under the scooter, landing sideways on my wrist, which I didn't break but I still can't bend or put pressure on it without pain; second, I was trying to make a right turn off of paved road on to a gravel road, the front tire slid out, and I ended up smashing my left knee and ankle into the ground and couldn't bend my knee for almost a week). I've learned from these, but I'm not really sure what. I know what I did wrong (except the gravel: I'm not quite sure what happened there, as I wasn't going fast at all), but not sure how to not end up hurt again.

Here's where maybe you guys can help. I'll describe my riding situation, and I would love both some advice on how to ride safely, and without angering too many other drivers, and/or some recommended reading.

I'm currently working until mid-October in one of the most scenic areas in the US, and have a ~6 mile commute, one way, at least once a day, at least 4-5 days a week. (If you figure out by my description where I'm at, please, do NOT post it publicly; if you'd like to discuss -that-, please PM me. Otherwise, I'd rather that not be discussed on this topic, for my own safety.)

On my drive now, I have a steep climb up the drive from the RV park where I'm staying, that is gravel, with a posted speed limit of 5mph (that I then have to come back down when I come home). Gravel isn't my favorite to drive on, and it is a really narrow road, with only short, wooden posts spaced about 5 feet apart, guarding the drop off.

The highway is at 45mph at that section, dropping quickly to 35, then to 25 through town (about a mile). I then have a sharp U-turn, to the gated entrance to the property. That's the easy part.

Next, it is a max of 35mph through winding roads, with only 2-3 guard rails the entire trip, over steep drop-offs that end in boulders and fast-moving water. That section is about 5 miles long. It also climbs over 1000 feet elevation. At the end, there are often a minimum of 5, but up to 25, bison wandering around. It is also often quite cold, and known to snow here at any time of the year.

The 5 mile section is where I'm particularly concerned, as I'm not comfortable going over 20mph. That's fine, when there's not cars behind me. There are pull-outs at strategic spots, but I still have to get to those. The road is only going to get busier as the season goes on.

The winding part of the road is very slanted (proper, I guess, but seems almost excessively steep, given the tightness of the turns and the low speed limit), and often have no guard rails over steep drops into boulders and a river. The road is kind of narrow, and has no shoulder.

At the end, the elevation rises about 1000 feet in tight, windy turns (same kind of drop-offs). I believe this section may have a 25mph speed limit going up, which is fine, as I usually stay at that speed, but it is still uncomfortable. Going down, however, it is a 7% grade, with a posted speed limit of 35mph. Not a bit of fun, especially as I seem to want to ride the brake to keep my speed at around 20mph, which is as fast as I feel comfortable with, as there are no guard rails on most (if not all) of this section. Going downhill, I'm not comfortable trying to find a pull off (but I don't think there are any in that section) until it levels out again.

There are going to be times I'm worried about ice or snow. It can snow at any time of the year. I might be able to find a ride in from someone in a car, but that is never a guarantee, and if I have to be at work, there's not much choice I'll have as to how to get to work. I will often have to be driving to work before the sun is even up, so it is cold and dark. Other times, I have to drive home after dark.

There will be times in my ride where I will encounter the local wildlife. The most common of this is right around my work location, where dozens of bison regularly congregate. The problem is that I'm not surrounded by metal like in a car, and have to drive near them, or sometimes through some on one side of the road and some on the other side. I often do not have a way around to get to my location. I may be on a vehicle capable of moving faster than them, but I do not want to provoke them in any way.

Biggest question: Do I just go really slow, taking longer to get from Point A to Point B, not worrying about slowing down cars (til I can find a safe pull-out)? A majority of the cars will be gone in ~3 days, but some may be other workers. If I go faster, I don't feel steady at all, especially as it feels like I'm riding against the slope of the road.

Second question: Any suggestions on handling wildlife? I already leave earlier than necessary to get there one time, but that doesn't mean I will avoid them, as they are almost always there.

I'll take any other suggestions/information anyone has on anything else I've written, as well. Honestly, I'm petrified of my drive to work or home, but love my job. I cannot afford to by a car. I cannot afford to be hurt (both financially, and physically, as my lifestyle depends on my being able to travel, and the chores associated with travel).

Again, please, no negative comments. I understand my option of just getting rid of the scooter, but I really don't want to, so I'm seeking help from people who understand this method of transportation the best.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Your route sounds like a route that would test the most experienced rider. What you need to do is practice. I'm sure you've heard that before - but good riding becomes a matter of sharpening your reflexes and skills. Ride as slow as you can (not on the road) to teach you balance. Ride on poor surfaces to understand how your bike handles. Get a big blaze orange or safety green vest and wear it all the time. Wear a full-face helmet (in matching orange or green) and gloves to give you protection. When on the road wearing your safety gear drivers may be more aware of you and be more courteous. Well maybe I'm being too optimistic there. Most of all practice, practice and more practice.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Elder Scoot wrote:Your route sounds like a route that would test the most experienced rider. What you need to do is practice. I'm sure you've heard that before - but good riding becomes a matter of sharpening your reflexes and skills. Ride as slow as you can (not on the road) to teach you balance. Ride on poor surfaces to understand how your bike handles. Get a big blaze orange or safety green vest and wear it all the time. Wear a full-face helmet (in matching orange or green) and gloves to give you protection. When on the road wearing your safety gear drivers may be more aware of you and be more courteous. Well maybe I'm being too optimistic there. Most of all practice, practice and more practice.
And practice some more. Maybe some more aggressive tires for the gravel part, too.

Oh, if it snows or rains? Hitchhike.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Syd wrote:
Elder Scoot wrote:Your route sounds like a route that would test the most experienced rider. What you need to do is practice. I'm sure you've heard that before - but good riding becomes a matter of sharpening your reflexes and skills. Ride as slow as you can (not on the road) to teach you balance. Ride on poor surfaces to understand how your bike handles. Get a big blaze orange or safety green vest and wear it all the time. Wear a full-face helmet (in matching orange or green) and gloves to give you protection. When on the road wearing your safety gear drivers may be more aware of you and be more courteous. Well maybe I'm being too optimistic there. Most of all practice, practice and more practice.
And practice some more. Maybe some more aggressive tires for the gravel part, too.

Oh, if it snows or rains? Hitchhike.

Heidenaus(tires) would help, And stop being so F'ing scared. Life is a risk. Dive in or sit in a chair and shake. It is your choice.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Agree with the others-practice! Re take the MSF course-OR-take the next level one, advanced. My wife hated heavy traffic, but she knows she needs to master the surface streets before taking on the freeways. Now she feels in control and confident (makes me proud), and always aware of her surroundings. Anyone other riders you can buddy up with for pointers? Never be embarrassed to ask for help, be it a moped, scooter, motorcycle. You also need to wear your safety gear-for you own protection. Another suggestion-if your "balance" on a two wheel vehicle is so-so, get a bicycle for short jaunts. It will help get centered.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Welcome to the forum Ravenrose. Sounds like that commute would test my nerves a bit. One thing I learned about gravel; I never use the front brake leaned over when riding through gravel. I hit the road hard doing that on a bicycle long ago & never forgot. Using the rear brake leaned over is ok on gravel (up to a point) because if the rear tire slips you can still steer. As mentioned high visibility is a plus. You can find hi viz orange vests & jackets cheap at any place that sells hunting gear. Walmart has them for a few bucks. I got a blaze orange jacket to wear riding my bicycle in cooler weather for about $20. You can see it a mile away. I'd go at a pace that you feel safe at & if drivers start tailgating just pull over & let them pass, using the turn signal so they don't think you're just slowing down. I don't know much about bison. I saw a video of one ramming the front of an SUV but I'd guess it felt provoked, maybe by the size of the vehicle. A full face hi viz helmet would be good for that cooler weather. I use a full face hi viz yellow helmet & just got a 1/2 helmet same color for summer. If you ride after dark, reflective tape is a great idea. I've been putting it on my motorcycles for years & just got some to put on my scooter this weekend. Makes you WAY more visible at night. Keep us posted how it goes.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Welcome Raven,

I too am fairly new to two wheels, and there is a pretty extensive learning curve, to be sure, and I have failed to keep the shiny side up myself

The posters above have all given sound advice, and I would like to add to their comments, not argue with them.

Let's ignore the physical items for a moment (like I know best how to handle gravel...I run away when I a single pebble on the road) and focus on something else.

My first few days on my scoot were great, I loved the freedom, the wind, the connection to the road.

Then I laid it down, a few boo-boos, but took a greater injury to my pride and confidence.

I rode the next day, getting back on the literal horse, and the roads that were so inviting the previous day had become a series of death-traps now.

I was scared.

Nothing had changed with the weather, road conditions, or the bike, it was all, literally, in my head.

That does not mean that it is not real, but it also means that fixing it is different from tightening a bolt, or replacing a part.

From reading your post, it seems that your scooter has become an intense source of anxiety for you, which is understandable.

In my little pea-brain, the most effective weapon against anxiety is fun.

Make it fun again - assuming that it ever was in the first place.

In my case, I keep riding, and each time, there is a little less fear, a little less worry. My goal is to find that "sweet spot" between thinking I am invulnerable and being scared of a ladybug on the asphalt in front of me.

You mention your primary use for the scoot is to commute to work, maybe take it on other little trips? Obligation is to anxiety as napalm is to fire. Go someplace you don't HAVE to go...maybe the scooter will tell you something you never knew before.

Find the fun...that's my plan and I'm sticking to it.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I can just agree with all of the above. You just need to practice, practice, practice and practice some more. Don't let fear win you over however if find you still can't do it you at least tried valiantly.
Your commute route is quite daunting for a n00bie, don't let that sway you either. As one notable past president once said, "The only thing to fear is fear itself" I, a few years ago, started having some 'issues' with my riding and that kept me off my scoot for a year. I worked through it, building up slowly again to where riding has become 'nature' to me again.
Don't push yourself too hard, exercise caution and keep happy thoughts.
This may sound cliché but remember, discretion is the better part of valour. Don't risk hurting yourself just to prove a point.

Keep us all posted on your progress and 'no worries' if there's a lack of progress as well.
(BTW: Where is this 'mistery' place? PM me.....)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Get yourself a good set of snow tires. It will be much cheaper to buy snow tires than fixing body work or having a fractured bone tended to. Buy a major brand like heidenau, schwalbe, michelin, etc. The stock tires are marginal on dry pavement, terrible in the wet, and dangerous in the cold.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Hopefully you've got all the spills out of the way.

buy heavy duty motorcycle boots. You're very unlikely to break toes on those. I ride most of the time in my Icon 1000 (cause Mad Max, yo!). A bit overkill for trips to the store, but that's where all the idiotic traffic is.

Good gear will help take the edge off of your nerves. It wont' make you bullet proof, but then falling over at 5mph will be a non-issue.

A lot of remedial training will go a long way.

good luck and be safe.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

lovemysan wrote:Get yourself a good set of snow tires.
I certainly disagree with this advice. Snow tires provide poorer traction on dry or wet roads than conventional road tires. And an inexperienced rider (or maybe ANY rider), should avoid actual ice and packed snow. Having said that, some tire compounds and tread patterns certainly give better traction than others. I personally prefer Michelin City Grips or Continental Zippys on my bikes. There are plenty of Heidenau fans around here as well, and Pirellis are known for having fairly sticky rubber compounds. Good gear and practice are the ways to build confidence in my experience.
tspinning

Post by tspinning »

Challenging conditions are challenging. But they can be overcome. What doesn't seem to have been noted (surprisingly) is gear.

Do you have boots with solid heel & ankle support (steel toe or strong hikers)? Do you have real gloves? I also second/third/fourth the full face helmet if not already in use. How about a real jacket, leather or textile?

Basically, from a comfort and confidence standpoint, I've found that aside from practice, the right gear really helps me feel in control of the situation. I say this from the point of new (and yes, somewhat expensive) enlightenment as I just purchased a full size motorcycle and was using my scooter jacket, gloves, and helmet for the start.

Then I went to a shop and tried on a real motorcycle jacket with all the bells and whistles... I didn't buy right away but road home to think on the purchase. Well, by the time I got home (<2 miles) I turned around and went back to the shop and spent a good chunk of change on a full-on leather jacket with CE armor in the elbows, shoulders, and back. I also bought some top line gloves. I actually felt unsafe riding home that prior moment (but did NOT feel that way riding in) after just wearing the jacket in the store for 15 min and sitting on a bike to judge comfort.

The long and the short of it is, with the right (really protective) gear, my mind was totally freed to concentrate on riding, smooth cycle operation, and the environment, and absolutely not worried about what if I slide or get clipped. That reallocation of my mental acumen has already made the jacket price moot, I'm more physically and mentally comfortable, feel safer, and I dare say look bad-ass. All that transfers to the scoot just the same.

As for dirt, go find a dirt parking lot or road that isn't traffic'd and try some straight line deceleration tests (start slow!). Remember the MSF course and and squeeze the breaks, don't grab/pull the front break. Once your weight transfer starts to shift forward (and loads the front wheel) you can break more aggressively, but dirt and gravel will always result in a quicker lockup than pavement. Try getting up to 20 and just grabbing the rear break (NOT WHILE TURNING). Feel that fish tail and learn to anticipate it and what side your bike likely tends to break/swing (load dependent).

I've been reading (and really enjoying learning from) Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Tech ... 1893618072. I bought this WAY before I bought a motorcycle, and it greatly improved my understanding and technique for any two wheel vehicle.

Lastly, is there any localized community or riders you can find online, facebook, whatever that might want to practice in a lot or something? I've found skill drills with cones and a couple people to be very rewarding.

Cheers, remember to breath, and remember people ride way less capable bikes on far crazier surfaces the world over, you can't beat physics, but if you can apply physics properly with this tool (bike) you can have a great time.

-Tspinning
skipper20

Re: New and Scared

Post by skipper20 »

ravenrose wrote:Hi. I'm new to the forum (actually, I thought I'd registered awhile ago, but cannot find a previous username, so I (re?)registered). Please, please, be nice, that's all I ask :) I really want this to work, as this method of transportation fits my lifestyle the best (plus it's cool :D). I'm sorry this is really long, and I hope I can hold your attention long enough to offer advice.

Again, please, no negative comments. I understand my option of just getting rid of the scooter, but I really don't want to, so I'm seeking help from people who understand this method of transportation the best.
Dear Ravenrose,

A very good first post. The only thing I can add to previous responses is that you should not, and I repeat not, be ashamed of being scared. Fear translates into respect and respect for your machine and the road you're on is going to keep you riding safely for a long, long time. I've been through what you have experienced and by being overly bold and lacking respect, I spent a total of 2 1/2 weeks in a hospital and rehab facility plus another 4 weeks recuperating at home. During this 4 weeks, I repaired and replaced the scooter parts and panels that were damaged. I learned my lesson, got back onto the scooter and I've been riding safely ever since. Yes, practice safe riding and respect where you're riding and you should do fine. Wishing you all the best,

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Have you considered driving a car instead? You are obviously on a vehicle you are not comfortable with. That makes you a hazard to yourself and other motorists.

I know on motorcycles you can boil the brake fluid riding the brakes downhill. I would think the same is true on a buddy. Then either the brakes lock up or are completely gone. not fun either way.

Either get comfortable with the Buddy or find alternate transportation.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

While I often find his wording a bit terse, this one not excepted, I have to 100% agree with Dave here.

If you are not comfortable behind the controls of whatever you're driving, be it a Buddy/Car/Hovercraft, you're going to subject yourself to snap decisions made from a place of fear & anxiety. This puts yourself and others in harms way.

The cost of your long-term health (and more immediately, hospital bills & x-rays) would far outweigh the cost of a reliable used car.

Good luck
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

As Dave said, get a car.

1. You aren't comfortable or experienced on a 2 wheeler, and your body proves it.

2. Bison are usually docile and will leave you alone if you leave them alone. But they are wild animals and are thus unpredictable. You're a tiny target for them. I wouldn't want to come around a blind corner and surprise a 2,000 pound freight train.

3. Gravel takes skill and experience. Ice and snow will test even the best riders. When it's snowing and icy, stay home or go in a car.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Welcome!!!

I'm going to echo some of what's been said...with modification.

I think THIS CURRENT GIG/LOCATION is not conducive for learning to ride. I think you'll be fine and on a normal learning curve in a different environment. But here...i suggest a car. And if that's NOT an option...get yourself some good gear if you don't already have it.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

There is no magic secret. Just practice. Lots and lots of practice. You obviously aren't that scared of it, or you wouldn't have gotten back on it after crashing a couple times. Get some good protective gear and go find somewhere you like to ride. And then ride. A lot.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ravenlore wrote:Welcome!!!

I'm going to echo some of what's been said...with modification.

I think THIS CURRENT GIG/LOCATION is not conducive for learning to ride. I think you'll be fine and on a normal learning curve in a different environment. But here...i suggest a car. And if that's NOT an option...get yourself some good gear if you don't already have it.
Agreed on all points. I read the OP twice and it gave me the heebie-jeebies both times. This is one of those situations where it would be best to cut your losses right now before you get hurt any worse. No one can doubt your bravery or enthusiasm, but this situation is unworkable. Look at it this way. If you get hurt so badly that you can't work, you'll lose that job anyway. Hands down, the best choice is to focus 100% on finding a safer way to get to work so you can hang on to that job you like. You may have to think outside the box. Could you borrow a car? Hitch a ride with a co-worker? Find a car pool? Rent a room near work? Think hard.

Good Luck!
ravenrose

Post by ravenrose »

Thanks for all the replies.

Today was a much better day in and back. Don't know if it will continue to be this easy, so I'm not getting lax about it, but I'm going to continue to work on it.

I just keep checking behind me, and let as many as I can (fortunately, has only been 3-4 so far) behind me pass, by pulling over before and after each area I already -know- I'll be going slower on, as there area a good number of pull-outs on this road. I tried going into the downhill section at 20mph, and only slightly pulling the brake right before a turn, then letting up as soon as I was in the turn. I was able to keep my speed at 25mph without really riding the brake, and as long as I kept the throttle steady, my speed didn't really increase much with gravity. There's no pull-outs in the 2 mile stretch that is the 7% section, but right after it, there is one. The rest of the way, I stayed at 30-35mph (speed limit 35), depending on straight or curved.

Luckily, most of the drivers, especially once the real summer season starts, will be tourists, and as the scenery is gorgeous, they'll go slower, as well. Hopefully, that will work to my advantage that not too many more will be in that much of a hurry.

The steep gravel road down to where I'm staying, I had to use the brake, and zero throttle, to keep it at the posted 5mph speed limit. The drive is about a football-field's length, I think. I know all the cars going down that hill have to ride their brakes, as you can see their brake lights on their way down. I hope that this isn't too much stress on the scooter's brakes.

Due to finances, I can't afford a car this year, so that option is really off the table.

I do have a friend with a scooter that has a lot more experience than I do, and she will be at another section of the area I'm at (which is, unfortunately or fortunately, depending on situation, a very large area), and will be arriving beginning of May. Since she's the only one around here with a scooter, I'm going to talk to her about meeting up with me and helping me.

I have a very bright rain jacket, that is a great windbreaker as well. I wore it in the desert at night, walking back and forth from the campfires, and people always laughed that they'd see me coming (to which I'd laugh and say "that's the point" :) ). I have a 3/4 helmet. I haven't yet found a full helmet that doesn't feel like it's choking me, but will get one once I can find one that fits. I'm going Monday to try to find better gloves. I also have to look for a better jacket to wear under the bright rain jacket, but as there aren't any motorcycle shops around here, that may be a little harder. Luckily, nowadays, one can order a lot online, so I'm going to search there, too.

I asked about tires when I was in to have the oil changed a week or so ago, and he said due to the width of the area the tire sits (sorry, don't know the technical term), there really aren't any other tires that would fit on this. And no way to get wider tires on there. What search terms do I use to see if there are another discussions specifically on tires that fit the 125, or how do I research tires and if there are ones that would work better -for me-? (Not like I have an answer right now as to how I'd get the tires switched out, but I can work on that if I knew exactly what I needed.)

I'm definitely and already trying to find someone (or two or three) that work at the same location, even if different department, so I can make sure I have a way in during inclement weather.

Thanks, everyone.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

ravenrose wrote:I asked about tires when I was in to have the oil changed a week or so ago, and he said due to the width of the area the tire sits (sorry, don't know the technical term), there really aren't any other tires that would fit on this. And no way to get wider tires on there. What search terms do I use to see if there are another discussions specifically on tires that fit the 125, or how do I research tires and if there are ones that would work better -for me-? (Not like I have an answer right now as to how I'd get the tires switched out, but I can work on that if I knew exactly what I needed.)
Here's a good thread on oversize tires for the Buddy.

viewtopic.php?t=24149

Good on you for putting together a rational plan and running with it. I prefer to commute by scoot when possible; it's generally relaxing and helps me process the workday.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

ravenrose wrote: Due to finances, I can't afford a car this year, so that option is really off the table.
ravenrose wrote:I have a very bright rain jacket, that is a great windbreaker as well. I wore it in the desert at night, walking back and forth from the campfires, and people always laughed that they'd see me coming (to which I'd laugh and say "that's the point" :) ). I have a 3/4 helmet. I haven't yet found a full helmet that doesn't feel like it's choking me, but will get one once I can find one that fits. I'm going Monday to try to find better gloves. I also have to look for a better jacket to wear under the bright rain jacket, but as there aren't any motorcycle shops around here, that may be a little harder. Luckily, nowadays, one can order a lot online, so I'm going to search there, too.
Since you are going to buy some gear. I wear:

Tourmaster Transition 3 Jacket $220
Nolan N-104 Modular Helmet $400
Icon Elsinore 1000 boots $250
Gloves $75

That is just shy of a thousand dollars. I have owned a number of thousand dollar cars.

I am certainly not a ATGATT person and I could care less if you wear gear or not. I just have to chuckle every time I see someone riding with a half helmet thinking they have any sort of protection. I do not see the point of spending money on a helmet or jacket if you are not buying something with real protection. Just remember that when you high side on gravel, that 3/4 helmet will do nothing for you. You might as well be wearing a hoodie, ball cap and work gloves. You will lose your palms, shoulder & face.

I prefer not to consider myself terse, I just tell it like it with tough love.

Dave
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I will not 'preach' wearing gear, it's a choice to some, an imperative to others. Even the wearing of a helmet is not manditory in some states. But here is not the place to debate that.
As I said however, I will 'preach' practise and the common sense exercise of caution and level mindedness.
As said, your route would challenge even an expierenced rider especially in the foul weather you said can crop up at any time.
By all means just remember to be careful. You'll beat this.....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

Ravenrose, i've got to hand it to you. i honestly doubt if i would even attempt your work route. quick question: since there are others who work in your same area, is it possible for you to at least get to the main highway turnoff to your destination and then hook up with a co-worker who has a car and hitch with them the rest of the way and back?

is there some sort of intranet bulletin board where you could post for a carpool from your origination point, or arrange to met up with a car driver at the main highway turnoff before you make that treacherous trek?

best of luck to you! and welcome to MB. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

ravenrose wrote:Thanks for all the replies...

I have a very bright rain jacket, that is a great windbreaker as well. I wore it in the desert at night, walking back and forth from the campfires, and people always laughed that they'd see me coming (to which I'd laugh and say "that's the point" :) ). I have a 3/4 helmet. I haven't yet found a full helmet that doesn't feel like it's choking me, but will get one once I can find one that fits. I'm going Monday to try to find better gloves. I also have to look for a better jacket to wear under the bright rain jacket, but as there aren't any motorcycle shops around here, that may be a little harder. Luckily, nowadays, one can order a lot online, so I'm going to search there, too.
Thanks, everyone.
Some of the folks in the thread have avoided being hardasses about proper gear. I'm not going to mince words.

You've already taken damage. Your commute is challenging in good conditions. You NEED actual protective gear.

Believe me I understand that price point is a concern. So i took the liberty of looking up some modestly-priced (unfortunately YES $100-125 IS modestly priced) basics on a couple sites:

REAL PROPER protective footwear:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/13 ... 1-6_1-18_3
http://www.revzilla.com/womens-motorcyc ... ce_max=125

Jackets:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14 ... 3-6_1-18_3
http://www.revzilla.com/womens-jackets# ... ce_max=128
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Womens-Motor ... 2/103.html

And gloves:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/60 ... 1-6_1-18_2
http://www.revzilla.com/womens-gloves#v ... ice_max=50

Helmets are a different creature because more than any other piece of gear it's difficult to get a good fit without trying on. Ask someone what shape your HEAD is (not what shape your face is) and then go here to find out what helmets might suit your head.

And here are budget helmets:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/46 ... 1-6_1-18_3
http://www.revzilla.com/womens-motorcyc ... ce_max=122
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Modular-Helm ... /1229.html
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Full-Face-He ... /1227.html

Good luck hon. Please do keep us posted. I'm really glad you'll have a fellow rider in the neighborhood soon.

Also, if you're worried about your brakes, maybe see if Scooterworks has performance brakes?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Compacc is having a fantastic deal on the scorpion exo-1100. I love mine. great helmet (my first was replaced after a crash) and the sunvisor rocks.

http://www.compacc.com/p/scorpion-exo-1 ... mailvision
theralchico

take a motorcycle class

Post by theralchico »

I agree with the folks that push gear. Safety is number one and on a scooter there is not much else you can do but wear the proper equipment. Next thing I suggest is to take a motorcycle safety class. A local community college (takes most of a Saturday) or even better a private lesson (this will take an hour or two) will cover all the basics of handling a scooter in various conditions AND how to crash. Yes, there are proper ways to go down that will limit injury.
bluebessie

Re: take a motorcycle class

Post by bluebessie »

theralchico wrote:I agree with the folks that push gear. Safety is number one and on a scooter there is not much else you can do but wear the proper equipment. Next thing I suggest is to take a motorcycle safety class. A local community college (takes most of a Saturday) or even better a private lesson (this will take an hour or two) will cover all the basics of handling a scooter in various conditions AND how to crash. Yes, there are proper ways to go down that will limit injury.
Agreed on everything here!!!

I am a bit on the petite side so I have had a harder time finding gear in my size (XS) but looking around I have had great luck - especially on the clearance racks (both helmets and jackets).

Take the time to learn and I am sure it will be a great experience in the end.
Snap

Post by Snap »

Bikes aren't for everyone and that's ok.

So many middle aged mid-life crisis guys buy Harleys with no experience or skills and it takes getting run over before they accept that they weren't meant to be riding. Got two right here on my street.

If you can't get comfortable, give it up and be safe.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

There's some stuff here I might can help you with a little. A lot of what you are encountering is just the nature of the beast, but there are some places where you can do better, that steep downhill gravel driveway, for example. What I've done below is cut up your post and then annotate the parts where I have suggestions.
ravenrose wrote:...I was trying to make a right turn off of paved road on to a gravel road, the front tire slid out... but I'm not really sure what. I know what I did wrong (except the gravel: I'm not quite sure what happened there, as I wasn't going fast at all), but not sure how to not end up hurt again.
From now on, when there is gravel on the road, any gravel at all, DO NOT USE THE FRONT BRAKE. On gravel, the front brake is your enemy. The front brake is causing the front tire to "wash out" from under you and getting you hurt. Rear brake only on gravel, that's the left-hand lever, leave the right-hand hand lever alone on gravel. The rear wheel may skid or or try to slide out to either side. When that happens, just let go of the left-hand lever and the scooter will sort itself out in an eyeblink, then you can re-apply the brake until it skids again and so on. You'll get so good at this, you will do it for fun. No, I'm not kidding.

ravenrose wrote:Next, it is a max of 35mph through winding roads, with only 2-3 guard rails the entire trip, over steep drop-offs that end in boulders and fast-moving water. That section is about 5 miles long. It also climbs over 1000 feet elevation.
Okay, I see the problem here. You need to keep you eyes on the road. Again, not kidding at all. Vehicles have a natural way of following the driver's gaze. Looking off those cliffs is scaring you, but it's also dangerous. Train yourself to look where you want to go. If you are having trouble doing this, follow another vehicle. Keep your eyes on their rear bumper and just go. No more looking off the cliffs down at the boulders of death while you are riding. Seriously!
ravenrose wrote:At the end, there are often a minimum of 5, but up to 25, bison wandering around.
Art of War - Always put somebody else between you and your enemy. Let them get clobbered, instead of you. So, when the bison are hanging out near the road, just hang back until a car comes along, get on the opposite side of the car from the bison, and book right by them. It sounds awkward, but advanced street riders do a variation of this all the time where they put a car between them and crossroads traffic at intersections.
ravenrose wrote:The winding part of the road is very slanted (proper, I guess, but seems almost excessively steep, given the tightness of the turns and the low speed limit), and often have no guard rails over steep drops into boulders and a river. The road is kind of narrow, and has no shoulder.
None of this is going to be a worry any more because you have taken the pledge to keep your eyes on the road where you are going and stop looking off the cliffs. Especially in sharp curves and turns, train yourself to look through the turn to where you want to go, not off the side of the road where you don't want to go.
ravenrose wrote:There are going to be times I'm worried about ice or snow. It can snow at any time of the year. I might be able to find a ride in from someone in a car.
Snow is not that bad. Just exert normal caution. I've done it many times. Ice is another story entirely. You cannot ride a scooter on ice. It's suicide to ride on the roads you describe in icy conditions. You may have to sleep on a floor at work to avoid it or whatever, but it's better than getting killed. Again, not kidding at all.
ravenrose wrote:I'll take any other suggestions/information anyone has on anything else I've written, as well.
Yes, that driveway, the steep downhill ride on gravel. I already ranted about getting off the front brake. One more hint. Slide back a few inches on the seat. This will move the center of gravity of you and scooter back so you'll be less likely to get thrown over the handlebars should the front wheel bog down in the gravel and also lighten up the load on the front wheel so it will be less likely to bog down. Only use the rear brake in this situation, that's the left hand lever. Keep your fingers completely off the right-hand lever so you don't panic and clench your fingers and grab that front brake without meaning to.

I hope some of this helps. Please feel free to ask more questions as you learn.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

To perhaps help save a bit, this $65-85 (goes on sale sometimes) helmet protected my head just fine in a ~35 mph crash (link below). I was also wearing Joe Rocket mesh armored jacket & pants, AlpineStars low-cut boot, and 1st gear lightweight gloves. All of that I'd bought on sale, spending under $450 for everything. I was able to ride away from the crash, albeit painfully, 85 miles or so back to the hotel.
I do not know how much a visit to the ER to get doctored up, much less a stay in the hospital costs, but I'll guarantee it's a *lot more* than $450. :)

I did buy a new, different helmet afterwards - but only because of the color. I wanted *BRIGHT*, so I got the Bilt modular in neon yellow. I have had many remarks from cagers about how visible I am, so I know it is working as I'd hoped. On sale, it was $99.

Happy Riding, & watch out for those bison! I think everything else you will be able to handle. :)

Cheap Amazon helmet - http://www.amazon.com/Modular-Flip-up-M ... B0056ELT9G
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Congrats on your big adventure in learning-and passing! Sounds like fun. They offer a "scooter" based class here in VA so I may look into it. My wife gets to take the trike (M3) test today. A licensed rider has to be with her so I'm her escort. Wish we could have gotten to take the trike safety class first but 1: Its around $250 bucks and 2: She can not get off of work to take the class for all 3 consecutive days. She intends on taking the trike class this July if it happens during her vacation time. Hopefully your play-by-play class review will get others who need it (or don't) to take the scooter test. Can never learn too much when safety and awareness is involved.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

while all the gear talk is useful and informative, please don't buy a helmet off the internet without having received a proper fitting at a good shop. not all helmets fit the same way and the shape of your head is an important factor in getting a good fit. then, and only then, should you buy a helmet off the internet, imo. one more thing. a used helmet off craigslist is no bueno; you don't know if it was dropped, which may compromise the safety of it. /rant

again, good luck to you in your quest.

p.s. GREAT ADVICE, JRSJR. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
Tam Tam

Always learning

Post by Tam Tam »

Howdy from Texas, dammit
I scooted (on a blackjack and a Stella 2t) to work n back for years, and had one route that was a 30 mile round trip. I was on teeny country roads, big hill country frontage roads, highway access roads, and thru a quaint touristy town. That route kept me on my toes, but not as severe as the route you have described.
There has been much good advice given up here. My two cents would be-
Don't be afraid of the scooter. If you are, then a decision has to be made PDQ (pretty damn quick). Healthy respect and understanding of the damage potential is one thing, but to be afraid is not good.
And next, tell you what my brother in law told me (former police officer with 25+years riding). "You are always learning how to ride, no matter how long you've been riding. Everytime I get on a bike, that is a chance to learn how to do something better, or how to avoid a bad situation. When you think you done learned it all, that's when you in trouble."
P.s - gravel sucks at any speed and in any form/situation
Good luck in scooting and in all things...if you can get right with scooting, it can be an amazing reap of rewards.&#128515;
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
tiii

Post by tiii »

ScooterDave wrote:Have you considered driving a car instead? You are obviously on a vehicle you are not comfortable with. That makes you a hazard to yourself and other motorists.

I know on motorcycles you can boil the brake fluid riding the brakes downhill. I would think the same is true on a buddy. Then either the brakes lock up or are completely gone. not fun either way.

Either get comfortable with the Buddy or find alternate transportation.
I agree with Dave, except for the boiling brake fluid part. The front on a buddy is hydraulic, but the rear is a drum.

Dear OP,
There's a reason most motorists are in cars... being confident and in control of a two wheeled vehicle is really not for everybody.

Seriously, look into a car for going to and from your job. Save the buddy for fun little jaunts.

Retake the MSF course and after that go for the advanced course.
Clydeo

Tough commute

Post by Clydeo »

motorcyclegear.com usually has brand -name riding jackets for less than $50 ( they sell left over stock, but it's all good stuff).

Being a new scooterist myself (but a long time biker), I can relate to some of your concerns. The Buddy is a great bike, and I am really enjoying it, but riding it can be a bit tricky. It is incredibly easy to ride, until it isn't. If you aren't used to its quick handling, it is easy to turn too abruptly, brake too hard, or to go into a corner way too fast. The traction from the small wheels can be questionable at times. But having said that, practice and experience will teach you those limits. Go slowly, take your time, wear appropriate gear (at LEAST a jacket with armor, gloves, tough boots, and a helmet. I wear a one piece riding suit a lot of the time to stay clean, warm, and dry). In a few weeks, you will be feeling fine. And that's when things really get dangerous! Riding is a life long learning experience. Ride smart!
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

Last edited by kmrcstintn on Mon May 04, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

disregard...
Last edited by kmrcstintn on Mon May 04, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dedcat

Post by dedcat »

Not meant to be mean.

You've passed the mc safety course. In 400 miles you've injured yourself in 3 separate incidents. You are afraid to go over 20 mph in a 5 mile stretch with a 35 mph speed limit.

Sell the scooter and use the proceeds to buy a car, assuming you're a better car driver than you are a scooter rider. If you are so frightened you won't go over 20 mph you are a danger to yourself, not to mention anyone coming up behind you out of a blind curve who might swerve off the road to keep from hitting you while you're traveling 20 mph.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Go find somewhere a little less challenging to ride. Go ride a lot. Practice makes you a better rider, there are no cheat codes. You gotta put the time in.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

if yer gonna keep the scoot...

practice in a safe area over and over until you gain comfort with your skills and your machine's capabilities & limitations; get some safety gear...buy what you can afford; develop a good 'situational awareness' and incorporate it into your practice sessions