Lap Aprons for primarily keeping dry

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmazza

Lap Aprons for primarily keeping dry

Post by jmazza »

Hey everyone-

I've read a lot of threads here and elsewhere about lap aprons (whether scooter skirt or Corazzo or termoscud). Most of the discussions revolve around cold weather.

How do all of these perform in heavy rain? I think they are all waterPROOF, and I'm thinking of getting one after being caught in some pretty crazy out-of-nowhere rain the last couple of weeks. I'm ok for the upper body, but would an apron/skirt be good for rain?

Secondary question- are any of them really waterproof but COOLER? I don't love the idea of the fleece backing for just rain!

I do have some rain pants but I think something like this might be easier to just throw around my legs and go.

thanks!
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Not sure of this, but I would think water would work its way down your back or the seat and get your rear end wet. I think the best way to stay dry is to get a good rain suit.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

holy moly.. lap aprons? those went out of style in the late 40's !!
anyhow, I'm sure they work (within reason) for it's intended function.
go for it man.. then report back here.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

ysofisonly50? wrote:holy moly.. lap aprons? those went out of style in the late 40's !!
ha ha- interesting that Corazzo just started selling one and scooter skirts are also pretty popular then!!

Even if not, I don't mind some 40's style. I'm riding a scooter, after all. And I of course will report back, I just want to avoid a $100 bad report! So I want someone ELSE to report!! :lol:

I'm not sure about the water down the back part- they attach around the waist. That's one of the questions I'm thinking about... I know that a rain suit, when put on in the dry inside, is the best option and I have a cheap one. But we get a whole lot of rain that comes out of nowhere down here and the last two rains I've been caught in, my rain suit was in the top case and so I'm thinking that throwing a lap apron on will be a lot quicker and therefore a lot drier in the long run.

But that rain down the back question and others are one's I'd love to hear from any users about!

Thanks!
shark

Post by shark »

I just cant do the apron. I can only imagine the comments from the Rednecks here!! It's bad enough I ride a little two-toned scooter in podunk TX... :D

Nah..i'd do it...who cares what they think... :twisted: My wife thinks I'm sexy when I ride the Buddy..
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

i used to live/ride in vancouver bc where it rains 24/7, and i tell you, nothing is 100% waterproof in heavy rain.
i just learned to ignore wet. i just put nice thoughts in mah brain is all :P
coopdway

Post by coopdway »

ysofisonly50? wrote:.... i just learned to ignore wet. i just put nice thoughts in mah brain is all :P
Singing showtunes works for me and this one's a staple ..."Ridin' in the rain, I'm ridin' in the rain, what a glorious feeling......."

Of course if you're bordering on the edge of hypothermia, singing won't be enough.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I'm also thinking that since we always say we are invisible to cagers, they won't even notice my super sexy lap apron. I'm also thinking I'd call it a lap kilt.
corazzo chad

lap aprons

Post by corazzo chad »

well my 2 cents

Lap Aprons

Both Corazzo Lap Aprons and Scooter Skirts are based on an old long standing design that have been used in Europe and Asia since the mid 60's. We both have been making and selling our own versions for more than 3 years and we both make great products.

They buckle around the back and drape over your knees. ours have poly pile theirs have quilted nylon. both about 100$

They work great for riding in bad weather. they keep you dry and warm. Nothing is weather proof, but highly weather resistant is the best we can get with man made materials. They all will help and be better than riding without any weather resistant pants or material on your legs.

the dorky looking issue, well, we are on scooters remember, the majority of the populous already has a notion that since we aren't on a harley or a rice rocket, we have a bit of quirky in us already....so ( i have a vespa and a moped too remember and I'm 33) dorky, fuel efficient and warm... bring it on!

The Dripping down the back issue, usually isn't a real big problem if your jacket is long enough to cover the waist band of your pants, you may get a bit of wet back there but the majority of the water will be coming at your front, thats where the lap apron does it's job.

when not on you, you lock the strap around your seat and it keeps it dry while not riding.

rain pants, rain suits, lap apron, thermo scud. choose whats best for you and don't let the weather hold you back...just slow you down a little.

ride safe
C
jeebus

Post by jeebus »

I have the corazzo lap apron and I don't like it that much.

It does keep rain off pretty well, it is warmer than not having it, and it might indeed be easier than rain pants to take on and off. But that's about all the positive things I can say.

It doesn't maintain a trim shape at all when riding, instead billowing out to the sides. It isn't all that warm when moving as lots of wind manages to whip under it. It's more awkward to put on and take off than I would have expected. It's hard to describe how it changes the feel of the ride, but there's something constraining about wearing the apron that I don't like. And it's very bulky if you try to store it under the seat.

That said, it basically does what it claims to, but I just don't like it. I'll probably put mine up for sale one of these days. I've just been holding off till I find something better, since we're going into the rainy season soon. To be fair, I suppose quick small durable easy-on-easy-off rain protection isn't exactly a trivial problem to solve.
petunia

Post by petunia »

I guess it is all personal preference. I have a Corazzo lap apron which I love. Occasionally one side will flap but only if I haven't put it on centered. If you were using it in summer for heavy thunder showers, then yes it probably would be awfully warm.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I'm wondering how much hotter it can be than wearing non-breathable plastic rain pants of some sort though!!

Hey Jeebus if you want to sell that one, PM me!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I have a scooter skirt. It is faster and more convenient than pants, but considering I ride in all temps I've gone the snow pants route. Below freezing, my ankles want to be sealed in. So far it's been fine in the rain, though.

If anyone wants to buy a yellow skooter skirt, PM me with an offer. =) I've been keeping it around for warmer times, but I might be willing to part with it. I'm trying to declutter.