4T Stella for first scooter

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

arnette

4T Stella for first scooter

Post by arnette »

I've owned a carb motorcycle before and the thing was a pain as I rode it infrequently. The carb would get all gummed up, etc.

Now I see that someone is selling a sweet 4T Stella shifty in town that's in great condition, low miles and fairly cheap. How much of a pain are one of these to own?

I don't mind the occasional tweaking but if I don't ride for 2 weeks am I going to go through the rough idle/full choke thing all the time?
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Not much of a pain at all. You shouldn't have any problems with the carb with the little amount of inactivity.
arnette

Post by arnette »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:Not much of a pain at all. You shouldn't have any problems with the carb with the little amount of inactivity.
Ha, that's weird. It's the same year and color as yours!
Thanks for your comment. I'm hoping they're easy to work on and maintain, but the local scoot shop guy started to make me doubt.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Use a fuel additive if you have to run gas with ethanol. I've had good luck with startron, and there are a bunch of other ones out there.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

arnette wrote:
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:Not much of a pain at all. You shouldn't have any problems with the carb with the little amount of inactivity.
Ha, that's weird. It's the same year and color as yours!
Thanks for your comment. I'm hoping they're easy to work on and maintain, but the local scoot shop guy started to make me doubt.
He probably wants to sell you a scooter.
arnette

Post by arnette »

Welp, checked out the Stella and it was a beauty. In the end, though, decided I wanted a twist-and-go.

So now the question becomes... Buddy 125 or 170i?
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I recommend the 170 for the fuel injection.
arnette

Post by arnette »

JohnKiniston wrote:I recommend the 170 for the fuel injection.
Yeah thinking that myself. But it's a $600 more expensive. Is FI worth a six hundred bucks? And the underseat storage is less :(

Still cruising the Craigslist ads in the area. There are 3 Buddys available but the owners are nuts. They want so much!
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Never having to clean the carburetor and not having to wait for the bike to warm up is worth $600 over the lifetime of the bike for me.

From riding club members bikes the 125 and the 170 both will go about as fast, the 170 will get to speed quicker and feel a bit smoother while doing so.

I also like that the 170 has an oil cooler that the 125 doesn't, For long rides that means the engine should be cooler overall.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

arnette wrote:Welp, checked out the Stella and it was a beauty. In the end, though, decided I wanted a twist-and-go.
What's the problem, you not cool enough for a manual?