Flaky horn

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

Flaky horn

Post by skully93 »

So, my horn works, sometimes. It seems like I have to press it, and then it 'warms up' to working.

Anyone know if this is more likely to be in the button/headset or the horn itself? I use it frequently.
GearsAndSuch

Post by GearsAndSuch »

Probably the button. This has come up before.

If I remember correctly, it was a scoot that spent a lot of time in the rain and there was a bunch of corrosion on the contacts. I think you can take the button apart, clean it, and then spray some anti-water dielectric lube in there (CRC 2-24) and be honking in no time.

You can easily test the horn itself with ear protection and a set of jumper cables or gator clips.

Edit: This one! viewtopic.php?t=17320&highlight=button
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

This happened to me after I rode in an intense rain. It worked fine once everything dried out.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Makes sense! I have a cover on but we have been humid and raining for a bit. I'll test it a few more times before I just give up and take it apart. I was considering putting in a new LED in the headset anyway.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Check your battery connection.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Battery connection is great, it's just cranky in the wet.

Seems to work fine when it's dry. keep in mind the poor thing doesn't get to reside in a garage, so even in our arid climate it's bound to get a little cranky.