Love my Stella 4T but she won't start after winter storage.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mulliganal

Love my Stella 4T but she won't start after winter storage.

Post by Mulliganal »

I know I know, I probably should have started her over the winter to prevent the fuel from gumming up, but I did keep her on a charger. And actually she starts but as soon as I release the gas she dies.

My wife has threatened to leave me behind on our regular nice weather brunches searches on Sunday's so I need to get going, soon! Any thoughts?
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Drain old gas, fill with fresh gas, add a little carb/injector cleaner, set idle.
Nettar

Post by Nettar »

After your last ride in the fall either run it out of gas or use Sta-bul (or however you spell it).
Mine is very reluctant to start the first time out in the spring but I find it very helpful to roll it outside into the sunshine for a couple of hours to let it get warm before trying.
Good luck!
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Thanks guys, I'm going to try all of these tips this week. Hopefully I can get this baby going.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

When storing a scooter for the winter. it is best to use Rec-90 gas (no ethanol) and a fuel stabilizer. Some owners use a fuel shutoff and run the gas out of the carb or drain it. As your bike will actually start, perhaps a carb cleaner such as SeaFoam will clean out the carb. If not a cleaning of the carb including jets may be in order.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

No gasoline stores for long term, and all those additives that claim to keep gas fresh simply mask some of the symptom of old gas. Best is to drain the tank and run the carb dry, use a little fogging oil in the tank to prevent rust, and store.

But, seriously, you're in Atlanta, why didn't you ride through Winter?
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:
But, seriously, you're in Atlanta, why didn't you ride through Winter?
I purchased a new beautiful Triumph Bonneville T100 so she's been taking up more of my riding time, and since my wife wasn't ridding as much at the time my Stella was sidelined for the winter. But now my wife is back up and on the move so I need to get my Stella ready to go.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I agree with bad gas over 30 days old.. no matter what you add to it..
buy yourself 3 foot of clear vinyl hose and siphon that old crap out of the tank.
Fresh gas Fresh Gas always.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Is there a way to drain the gas without a siphon? Not that I don't appreciate a good petrol mouthwash now and again. :shock:
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Turn the Fuel Tap OFF.

Disconnect the fuel line from the inlet side of the Fuel Filter.

Direct the disconnected fuel line into your capture container.

Turn the Fuel Tap to RESERVE.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Excellent, thank you.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Mulliganal wrote:Is there a way to drain the gas without a siphon? Not that I don't appreciate a good petrol mouthwash now and again. :shock:
haha.. yup.. thats why the 'clear' vinyl hose is my choice. You can see it coming! ! In time to get the hell out of your yapper. 20 seconds and youre done
J H
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!

I drained the old gas, added some Seafoam then when it wanted to start I jumped on and kept giving it the gas as I rode around the block a few times. When I got home I turned it off, then started it again and woohoo, it started right up and sounded beautiful.

My only concern was that I rode with the choke out while giving it gas for a while so I hope that won't cause any long term problems. But all in all, I'm a pretty happy guy. Now my wife and I can go on our Sunday brunch run next weekend.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Dont worry about running with the choke on for a bit.
it won't hurt anything. Just keep you from going wide open throttle if the choke is pulled.
Chances are that your choke cable isnt adjusted properly anyways, as they were on the 010's
J H
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Awesome to see you got her running. Next time she gets parked, some K100, Startron, or sta-bil in the fuel :). I like the K100 the best, if you can find it.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

viney266 wrote:Awesome to see you got her running. Next time she gets parked, some K100, Startron, or sta-bil in the fuel :). I like the K100 the best, if you can find it.
Thanks Viney, I'll definitely remember the Sta-bil next winter for sure. She still has a bit of a suptter while idling but I'm hoping the idle evens out after the new gas and carb cleaner make their way through the system. I'm just happy to have her running again.

I enjoy having my Triumph Bonneville for those times I want to hit the highway for a longer ride with all my gear on, but I really like being able to jump on my Stella with less gear when the weather is nice and zip around town, it kinda' reminds me that the summer is upon us.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I wouldn't put Stabil in it over the winter. Drain the gas again.. run the bike till the bowl empties and dies.. disconnect the negative battery cable.. done.. Dont take chances with month (s) old ethanol gas.. period.. its too easy to drain it. Zero problems when you bring it back up with new fresh gas.
good luck
J H
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Just to be sure, You are recommending they leave a full tank of gas in the bike over the winter to prevent rust still correct?

They would drain the old gas out and fill it with fresh gas before using the bike but leave the old gas in over the winter to protect the tank.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

You don't need to leave gas in the tank, just use some fogging oil.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Well, she's running but at idle she still want to cut off but not as badly as before. I haven't put that much time in since I aded the carb cleaner. Do you think I need to run a full tank through before the idle starts to regulate, or do I have to make some type of adjustment to get her to idle better?
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

1. Get the engine nice and hot with a ride
2. Turn the idle screw in 1/8th or 1/4er turn so it's idling very fast
3. Turn the mix screw all the way in
4. Back the mix screw out 1/8th of a turn at a time till the engine will start
5. Turn the mix screw out 1/8th turn at a time and wait 10 seconds to see/hear if the idle speed increases or decreases.
6. Keep repeating step 5 till the idle speed decreases
7. Turn the idle mix screw back in 1/8th turn
8. Turn out the idle speed screw 1/8th or 1/4er turn to the correct idle speed
9. If the mix screw is less than 1 turn out, IIRC, go down an idle jet size, more than 2.5 turns, go up a size

A tachometer might help if your ear isn't calibrated well enough.
http://www.amazon.com/CyberTech-Digital ... tachometer
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:1. Get the engine nice and hot with a ride
5. Turn the mix screw out 1/8th turn at a time and wait 10 seconds to see/hear if the idle speed increases or decreases.
9. If the mix screw is less than 1 turn out, IIRC, go down an idle jet size, more than 2.5 turns, go up a size

does this same set of steps work for the 2t motor?? LML 150, vespa 150 and 200 2 strokes??
J H
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

JohnKiniston wrote:Just to be sure, You are recommending they leave a full tank of gas in the bike over the winter to prevent rust still correct?

They would drain the old gas out and fill it with fresh gas before using the bike but leave the old gas in over the winter to protect the tank.
All I have is a personal opinion on that subject. No recommendatons. sorry
J H
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

jimmbomb wrote:
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:1. Get the engine nice and hot with a ride

does this same set of steps work for the 2t motor?? LML 150, vespa 150 and 200 2 strokes??
It should, I'm pretty sure, although the number of turns of the mix screw to go up or down an idle jet size will depend on the carb.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

You guys were great at helping me get my Stella started after not being ridden most of the winter. Now the only problem I'm having is it won't start with the electric starter button, it just makes a clicking noise. I can start it up with a quick kick start though.

It will also not idle well unless I give it the gas for a while, then after I've ridden it a while it will maintain a nice idle. I'm guessing it's time to just bring it to the shop but the scooter has less than 1000 miles on it and I'm having these problems. I'm beginning to think it's mad because I ride my Triumph Bonneville more often.

Any thoughts before I spend a lot of cash to have my local guys look at it?
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Take your battery out and bring it somewhere to be charged and tested.

I'm betting it's dead.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

JohnKiniston wrote:Take your battery out and bring it somewhere to be charged and tested.

I'm betting it's dead.
Thanks,mI always keep it on a charger but I'll still have it checked, or I'll put my Triumph battery in and see if it makes a difference.
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

My starter did that for a while. Check where the fat wire goes into your starter. There's a screw connection there that needed some fiddling.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>