new stella owner

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

teamhurst

new stella owner

Post by teamhurst »

im about to have the only stella in my town.
its going to be a long week. i have to wait till sat. to drive from south west MI. to Oshkosh WI 312 miles one way. to get her
i sold my 07 blur 150 to get the 08 stella with only 1400 miles on her as a new stella owner any advice going from a automatic to manual
?
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Get a set of cables and small set of tools. The rubber bits tend to perish quickly so you might have to get replacements at some point. Other than that ride it like you stole it.....
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

congratulations on your new scooter.
my first Stella was an 08 avocado just like yours. The only problem I had was the bracket holding the coil to the motor broke. Other than that it was a great running machine. Good luck with yours
Attachments
s3.jpg
s3.jpg (10.12 KiB) Viewed 967 times
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Yup. Carry spare cables, spark plug, some extra wire, extra tools, zip ties, and some loctite. Check and make sure the wheel bolts are snugged up at least every 1k miles (a little red loctite on the threads).

As far as riding- it's a clunky old transmission design. There is a rhythm to it. Don't force it to shift fast. Also, if it won't go into first, let the clutch out in nuetral, and try again.

Nuetral-clutch out-kick. Practice saying it in your head. That was when you stall at a traffic light you won't panic.

Beyond that, go practice. Ride a lot. The Stella is like a biplane, everything is cable drive and you control EVERYTHING manually. Once you get used to it, it is one of the most entertaining things you will ever ride.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Lol, ya. Carry a spare coil bracket too. And any other parts you can fit in the glovebox.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

When my coil bracket broke, the coil dangled hanging on by the plug wire, but since it was no longer grounded,the spark died.
I walked to nearby Radio Shack and in their dumpster, cobbed a peice of wire.
trusty pocket knifed the ends to bare copper and wrapped to ground on 1 end and the other to the dangling broken bracket.
Got spark back!! Rode it home..
J H
Saturdave

Post by Saturdave »

I've put about 3500 miles on my 08 Stella. It's hilarious fun and I love it. That said, you may encounter some disappointments in the quality of paint, rubber stuff & wiring. I've done a lot of tinkering on mine... some of which was arguably preemptive (crank, seals & bearings). I could go on forever, but keeping with safety concerns- I'd say my biggest beef is the quality of the front brake hose. I've read about others who had the hose pop free from the banjo bolt and spray fluid (rendering front brake useless)... mine unfortunately came loose inside the headset. The brake fluid subsequently ate through and ruined the plastic horncast and steering cover. Soooo... maybe check the line for leaks and don't ever forget you have a foot brake :) Also- those fab looking Shinko white walls might try to murder you on damp roads.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Saturdave wrote:I've put about 3500 miles on my 08 Stella. It's hilarious fun and I love it. That said, you may encounter some disappointments in the quality of paint, rubber stuff & wiring. I've done a lot of tinkering on mine... some of which was arguably preemptive (crank, seals & bearings). I could go on forever, but keeping with safety concerns- I'd say my biggest beef is the quality of the front brake hose. I've read about others who had the hose pop free from the banjo bolt and spray fluid (rendering front brake useless)... mine unfortunately came loose inside the headset. The brake fluid subsequently ate through and ruined the plastic horncast and steering cover. Soooo... maybe check the line for leaks and don't ever forget you have a foot brake :) Also- those fab looking Shinko white walls might try to murder you on damp roads.
Oh yeah.. forgot about the front brake hose.
My 08 did leak at the crimp upstream of the banjo bolt going into the caliper.
youll shit yourself when you hear the price of a new replacement for the hose alone.
i bought a used one in ebay.
good luck
J H
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

Thanks for all the great info! Sounds like I'm headed to scooterworks.com
Lol :D
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella