Best helmet?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kenniepark

Best helmet?

Post by kenniepark »

Anyone have suggestions on helmets? Please let me know why because besides look (which is important), they all look the same to me!

*I couldn't find anything on helmets with the search function on MD so I apologize if this is redundant.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

This is a subject that is open for debate. However, just considering what offers the most protection that would be the full face helmet. After that a modular or flip up then the three quarter and then the half helmet. I forget the exact statistics, but I believe the number is that in about 70% of accidents the rider will come down on their face. Hence the full face and modular being the most effective.

All of that said, the best helmet is the one that you will wear!

If you are talking about brands of helmets there is not one best for everybody brand. Try them on and settle on a few that are comfortable and quiet at riding speed. Small irritations become big irritations after a few hours in the saddle. Pick one, go ride, have fun. See ya on the road.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

The great helmet debate-count me in! Once you find a style (turtle, 3/4 open face or full face) next it comes down to fit. Try as many different brands on as possible at your local bike shops. A good shop should take the time to fit you and explain why the fit is important. I have found that a Nolan modular fits me the best, its like they took a mold of my ugly head and made a medium size just for me! Dont mind paying the money as they are nowhere as expensive as the Arai helmets from my rocket bike days. For summer I found that a large Gmax turtle fits me best. Wife has a xs Vega modular and a small Bell Pit Boss turtle for summer. Just try before you buy from a good shop and you should be fine. If you have a Cycle Gear around their house brand Built helmets are kinda nice and they have a comfort fit guarantee, plus other brands in stock. Just make sure its DOT approved, or SNELL.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I find places online that sell helmets & read the user reviews, then I'll try them on at a local store. I bought a half helmet online that fit but I'd try on a full face before buying. I got a Vega XTA half helmet & a Schuberth C3 Pro full face. The Vega's for hot weather. The Schuberth is pricey but I wanted the quietest helmet I could find. Modular since I wear glasses. Both are high vis yellow. Some prefer a full face in summer & I understand, it's more protection. Fit; better a little snug than a little loose. Sometimes the padding packs down a bit & it fits looser after a few weeks. I had one helmet I could spin around on my head after 6 months of use but that was a cheapie I got 23 years ago.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

kenniepark

Post by kenniepark »

Thanks everyone for your help! I don't mind spending the extra money and want to do it right the first time. It looks like Nolans are a popular choice? I'm in Boston and plan on heading to a shop this week to try on some helmets.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I like Nolan helmets but they do not fit everybody. The best advice I can give is to go to a shop with a wide selection and has someone working there that knows how to fit you.

For reviews...here is more information that you probably want!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... elmets.htm
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I use a full face helmet, except in the summer, when the Texas heat and humidity forces me to don a 3/4 helmet.
I don't know which brand is best. Get the best helmet you can afford.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

According to a German study, the face has the highest probability of hitting the ground in a crash.
Full face or...
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

sc00ter wrote:Try as many different brands on as possible at your local bike shops.
Ditto that. It's really about the size and shape of your head. A bad-fitting helmet can make your neck hurt, give you headaches, etc. Not too mention that it won't provide you with the same level of protection as a good fit.

Go to a store, put one on your head and browse for 10 minutes. How do you feel?

Personal preferences:
  • Full face because it provides protection from the elements. An unexpected hail storm with my face exposed... nope, not for me.
  • Lightweight, as my neck gets tired with heavier ones.
  • Lots of closeable vents to adjust for varying temps
  • Solid white or hi-vis -- it's the highest point on you for visibility and studies seem to show these as the best for being seen in an urban setting.
Scooter Commuter
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Sunshinen I totally agree with you except for the color. While hi-vis is safer I like dark colors.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

sunshinen wrote:Personal preferences:
  • Full face because it provides protection from the elements. An unexpected hail storm with my face exposed... nope, not for me.
  • Lightweight, as my neck gets tired with heavier ones.
  • Lots of closeable vents to adjust for varying temps
  • Solid white or hi-vis -- it's the highest point on you for visibility and studies seem to show these as the best for being seen in an urban setting.
I have a GMax 68 that hits all these points - full face, lightweight, six adjustable vents with good exhaust ducts, and bright white. Not only that, it has a built-in flashing-or-steady LED array on the back, which for another $40 or so can be rigged wirelessly to your brake light.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

I have so far only had a couple of cheap helmets. Had a Bilt from cycle gear when I first got my scooter. It was $50, so I didn't expect much out of it. It lived up to those expectations. I now have a Seven Zero Seven Vendetta 3. It's just okay, but I only paid about $150 for it. It's comfortable and has better ventilation than my old helmet. Wind noise is unbearable above about 45 mph on longer rides, though. I tried on an Arai RX-Q the other day, and I'm saving up to buy one. Spent about an hour and a half trying on a lot of different helmets, and it was by far the most comfortable. Much lighter than I am used to.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

My last 6 helmets have been Shoei. So, if you can afford it.

That being said, there are some VERY good inexpensive helmets out there today. The new Stealth and HJC helmets really impress me and both are under $200. Go to shops, try on, play, find what you like and buy from the guy who let you try it on.

There are different head shapes, and some good helmets just don't fit everybody. So, try them on.

Chin bar of a full face 24% of the time in a crash. So theres that fact. I prefer it even more for the rain and the bugs.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
tiii

Post by tiii »

the best helmet is gonna be the one you wanna wear...

around here white and black helmets "resemble" police ones. it's weird seeing car drivers signaling and behaving themselves (until their little brains register; "not a cop").
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Pretty subjective topic. I personally wear an HJC modular, but am thinking of getting one of these:

AGV Diesel Hi-Jack. Comes in different color combos, but this one matches quite well with my 2006 Blur. The eye shield is integral to the helmet and slides up into the helmet when not needed/wanted.

This color combo is kinda nice too:

Unless you want the pure black and white thing:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

I've only been at this two-wheeled thing for a short time here, but I am already on my second helmet...nothing really wrong with the first one, but I had limited options (I was going to test ride the scooter that I ended up purchasing and needed a helmet NOW).

It is a basic bell, full-face, and it does what it is supposed to do, but it never felt right. My peripheral vision was never quite what I thought it should be.

For me, less than a full-face is not an option, so I looked around a bit. I found the Bell Bullitt. Yes, there was a retro cool factor to it, but the reviews also stated that your field of vision was excellent, like you were not wearing a helmet at all.

It is not cheap, but I don't regret it for an instant. It feels great, I can't even see the edges of the helmet, and an XL even fits in my pet carrier.

Yeah, it also (sort-of) matches my Pamplona...

Can't recommend enough.

SPACESHIP!!!
Attachments
It's like living in the 1960's version of outer space.
It's like living in the 1960's version of outer space.
bell_bullitt_tt_helmet_zoom.jpg (26.89 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
skully93

Post by skully93 »

as a glasses-wearer, I'm partial to scorpions, because some have the internal sun visor.
bikerbrewer

The only option

Post by bikerbrewer »

Really, this is the only viable option.

ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

When I got my scooter I used a bicycle helmet (illegal) for the first week or so. Helmet shopping was daunting. I felt uncomfortable at the motorcycle shops and hated the feel of the full face helmets. I soon got a 3/4 Raiders helmet (black was the only option) at Mills Fleet Farm, (it's comfortable & good fit). I want to shop carefully for my 2nd helmet. I want it to be HI VIZ yellow and full face.
I'm also taking my time looking for a Hi Viz jacket that is fairly rugged. Currently I wear an orange hunting vest over my coat. It's quite visible, but a little dorky and not as visible as the hi viz yellow jackets I see joggers and cyclists wearing.
I still have not solved the eye protection issue: finding something to wear over my glasses. I use safety glasses, but they are cheap plastic and not as clear as I'd like. Getting things just right, comfortable, highly protective, and highly visible takes some personalized shopping effort.
arnette

Post by arnette »

Go Bell or go home!

I alternate between a Vortex and a Custom 500 (3/4 style). Great quality and fit nice.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

[humor]
http://www.amazon.com/IV2-Chopper-Cruis ... H1PNPPWA9V

I think one of these would go quite well with a stripped Helix or a bad ass moped.
[/humor]

I'd never wear that thing on the road tho!
tiii

Post by tiii »

I love my black helmets, so to keep them visible, I put 3M black reflective tape in a pattern on them.
So, at night, car headlights make them super visible.
Syd

Post by Syd »

JohnKiniston wrote:[humor]
http://www.amazon.com/IV2-Chopper-Cruis ... H1PNPPWA9V

I think one of these would go quite well with a stripped Helix or a bad ass moped.
[/humor]

I'd never wear that thing on the road tho!
3D Skull DOT Approved Half Helmet
Hahahahahaha!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

For years I wore a Wal-Mart purchased black half helmet with a removable neck gaitor.

I then sought out some alternatives and now I have 3 helmets plus the old starter one which I keep for sentimental reasons.

I tried to tolerate a full face and just cannot do it so I have a 3/4 HJC IS-33 which has a darker small visor for sun protection and a larger clear visor that covers my face for wind/bug/cold protection.

I also have a Scorpion EXO-100 which is a half helmet with a pull down sun visor and removable neck skirt for cold weather riding.

I have another HJC IS-2 half helmet with a pull down sun visor too.

I love the pull down sun visors in all of mine.

I also wear "fisherman's sun glasses" that I buy in Wal-Mart (or anywhere that sells fishing gear). These fit right over my glasses and add wrap around protection from bugs and pebbles, etc. $15 bucks.

I wear a hi viz yellow jacket or vest and sometimes fly a hi viz flag.

I recommend going to some bike shops and trying them on for fit, as others have said.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
MYSCTR

NUTCASE

Post by MYSCTR »

We both rode with the HJC IS-2 Helmet and i still have mine, yet both our daughter and my wife has jumped ship, falling totally in love with the fit and looks of the Nutcase Moto pictured below for just a few bucks more and very high ratings.
Attachments
Nutcase Moto Helmet Options
Nutcase Moto Helmet Options
NutCase Options.png (196.45 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
ucandoit

Putting tape on helmet

Post by ucandoit »

I love my black helmets, so to keep them visible, I put 3M black reflective tape in a pattern on them.

I have a black helmet, too, and want to put bright reflective tape on it, but I read that the tape destroys the helmet shell. Have you heard of this?
ucandoit

Putting tape on helmet

Post by ucandoit »

I have a black helmet, too, and want to put bright reflective tape on it, but I read that the tape destroys the helmet shell. Have you heard of this?
C2

Post by C2 »

I'm a big fan of my Shoei RF-1000... albeit with customized reflective tape.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Where are you guys buying that black reflective tape?
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
thumper650

Post by thumper650 »

+1 for a Shoei,
I have one and have used it for long distance touring. So much more comfortable than the "Bilt" one I got from Cyclegear. While some of their other helmets may be good, I hate my BILT helmet. The only good think about it is that it was cheap, and I don't care if it gets stolen, so I use that for city driving on my Kymco, and save the Shoei for longer trips on my 170I

Like somebody said, you've got to try them on in person, it's really the only way to find one that fits and is comfy.
kenniepark

Post by kenniepark »

I love the look of the Bell helmets but they are way too tight for my head! Anyone else have that problem?
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Whimscootie wrote:Where are you guys buying that black reflective tape?

I got mine here: http://www.streetglo.net
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The only option

Post by jrsjr »

bikerbrewer wrote:Really, this is the only viable option.

OMG. I can't thank you enough for posting that. I don't know if anybody else on the board gets that pic, but I sure as hell do. That made my month. Thank you, again!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I've worn a lot of helmets in my day. My personal favorite is the Nolan N43e/N44 Trilogy. Comfortable, well made, includes full face protection, excellent visibility, good air flow, many colors, smoke visor under clear face shield, comes with pin lock, etc.
Attachments
Nolan N43.jpg
Nolan N43.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jrsjr wrote:

OMG. I can't thank you enough for posting that. I don't know if anybody else on the board gets that pic, but I sure as hell do. That made my month. Thank you, again!
Daft Punk is good stuff. There are tons of replicas of these out there if you really want one.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
bikerbrewer

Post by bikerbrewer »

jrsjr wrote:

Hah, my pleasure! Of course, if you want one, I hope you have time..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0TBZeCgL0E