oil leak need help

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

teamhurst

oil leak need help

Post by teamhurst »

Ok just got back from picking up my 2008 Stella with 1400 miles looks like I'm the 4th owner. She seems in good shape over all. Needs a really good cleaning. But on my return home and unloading the scoot of my truck there was to stroke oil under it. Any ideas where is coming from the oil tank is full

And there was oil all over the muffler and under carriage. Now we came 312 miles with her in the truck and a good bit of bad roads in Chicago could the oil in the bed of the truck be from all the bouncing around
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Check the oil sight glass, oil tank, especially at the oil tap, and oil line, especially at the connections and where it passes through the firewall, for cracks/holes/leaks. I believe you will have to pull the gas tank to do this. Thing about oil is it is designed to creep, so it doesn't take more than a few drops to make a big puddle.
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

if the oil is full to the top of the fill tube there is way to much .check the oil check valve in the carb for leaking
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

if the oil is full to the top of the fill tube there is way to much .check the oil check valve in the carb for leaking
When you started up your Stella after seeing the leaked oil, did it smoke badly for the first mile or so and then run normally afterward? That would be another indication of a 2T oil check valve problem (which were a known issue in 2009 models). In any case, don't fill 2T oil up into the filler tube, try to stay a bit below the top of the tank.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Does the site glass screw off and on?
Also.. yes.. way too much oil could cause the check valve to stick.
I always wait till the site glass shows a bit of white.. then only dump in a half quart. Keep the bottle in your glove box.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

the sight glass is full ( and is tight dos not turn) and the oil level is below the fill tube. i spent all day yesterday cleaning it up top to bottom. went for a ride today about 25 mins and im seeing oil on the top of the muffler and splatter on the back tire.
any ideas
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

When you started up your Stella after seeing the leaked oil, did it smoke badly at startup and for the first mile or so and then run normally afterward?

If you remove the air filter, is it oil soaked or is there oil all around the carb?

Is the 2T oil line securely attached?

When it sat overnight again, did the same thing re-occur?
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

i don't see much any smoke at start up i haven't checked the air cleaner i don't know about the oil line although that is what i expect it might be just don't know how to get to it
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

ok did some poking around took the air cleaner cover off and there is some oil pooled at the bottem. Any thought ? hope the pics help
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

a little oil at the lowest part toward the back is normal. take a paper towel and push it in the back and soak up the oil. ride it tomorrow and check again.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

i don't see much any smoke at start up
Then it's not likely the check valve (assuming it sat overnight before startup).

I'd check to make sure the 2T hose is securely clamped at the carb / oil pump, it's the clear hose that has the same color fluid as the sight glass.

If the leak doesn't continue to be recurring then it's possible you overfilled the 2T tank; the seam between the tank and fill tube is known to be a potential source for leaks.

Does anyone else have any additional ideas?
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

Found this on this site really good pics and descriptions
Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend
http://www.scootercentral.net/forums/vi ... 14&t=11068
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

well got to the bottom of things and followed the steps in the link i posted.
the job wasnt to bad. and what i found was a cracked sight glass. and a pool of oil at the bottom of the body. here are pics of what i found. Now i have to wait for the parts to come
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good Job!!!
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »