Stella Auto 125 vs Stella 4T 150

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Stella Auto 125 vs Stella 4T 150

Post by skipper20 »

Been thinking about trading in my '09 Buddy 125 on a Stella. What's the best Stella out there: Auto 125 or 4T 150? And in anticipation of the question, my wrenching skills are limited to oil, filter and spark plug changes. Maybe brake, clutch and cable adjustments if I had a service manual. TIA,

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'09 125 Tangerine Buddy
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Stella 4T, basically all it needs maintenance wise is what you've listed.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I would vote the 4T, I don't feel the autos are proven yet.

The biggest change from the Buddy to the 4T Stella will be maintaining the cable operated clutch and brake. Learn how to change your own clutch cable and you are golden.

The manual is available on the site here.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

JohnKiniston wrote:I would vote the 4T, I don't feel the autos are proven yet.

The biggest change from the Buddy to the 4T Stella will be maintaining the cable operated clutch and brake. Learn how to change your own clutch cable and you are golden.

The manual is available on the site here.
When did the 4T replace the 2T and are there any significant problems with the 2T sccots that the 4Ts don't have? Also, do either versions have both electric and kick starts? Thanks again,

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'09 125 Tangerine Buddy
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I know they both have electric and kick starts but I can't remember off the top of my head when they moved from 2t to 4t. If your mechanically inclined a leftover 2t would be great, if not the 4T is the better option. With the 4T they are more of a workhorse....
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote:When did the 4T replace the 2T
The 4T first become available at dealers in 2011. As I recall, the 2T remained available for a couple of years after introduction of the 4T.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

09 was the last 2t.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

If you ever adjusted brakes or gear changers cables on a bicycle, you can do a Stella.
The concept is the same, only the fittings are bigger.
The cable end goes into an adjuster and the cable 'inner' comes out of that adjuster and gets a cable clamp to hold it in place after it passes thru whatever its holding back.
Same fundamentals.
Good luck.. the first 4t shiftie Stellas were 2010.
I had a cream one and it purrrrred perfect.
Slower than the 2 strokes.. but purrred without any problems
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Plus shifting will make you cool.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:Plus shifting will make you cool.
I had a manual shift 1980 Vespa 200 a few years back and shifting was hit or miss. I suopose it might have been due to a misadjusted clutch cable but I never bothered to find out as I did an even trade with a guy for his 2009 Aprilia scarabeo 200 scooter. One of my sons now owns that scooter. So now I'm wondering if a Stella 150 is also a hit or miss situation. Also, is there any significant difference between the 2T and 4T Stellas other than the 2T emissions not being all that kind to the environment? Also, what's the top speed differences between the 2Ts and 4Ts? Thanks again,

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'09 150 Tangerine Buddy
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I have an 81 P200 and it shifts just as good as any of my old Stellas.
maybe, I had(/have the cables adjusted to my liking.
No hit and miss.
I feel as the 2t's were faster than my 2010 4 stroke.
The 2t has the power and a power band.
There's a reason that they use 2 strokes on chain saws.. They Rip and Roar.
Plus the sound. bing bing bing bing.
gotta love it.
ps if its top speed you want out of your shiftie choices, Id get your P200 back from your son. It has higher gearing than the 150s for a higher top speed
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

jimmbomb wrote:I have an 81 P200 and it shifts just as good as any of my old Stellas.
maybe, I had(/have the cables adjusted to my liking.
No hit and miss.
I feel as the 2t's were faster than my 2010 4 stroke.
The 2t has the power and a power band.
There's a reason that they use 2 strokes on chain saws.. They Rip and Roar.
Plus the sound. bing bing bing bing.
gotta love it.
ps if its top speed you want out of your shiftie choices, Id get your P200 back from your son. It has higher gearing than the 150s for a higher top speed
You misread my post. I traded the Vespa for the Scarabeo 200 and the Scarabeo 200 went to my son, not the Vespa. The most top speed I could get out of the Vespa was 55 mph. He's had his 'Beo up to 72mph GPS confirmed.

Bill In Seattle
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

skipper20 wrote:
Also, is there any significant difference between the 2T and 4T Stellas other than the 2T emissions not being all that kind to the environment? Also, what's the top speed differences between the 2Ts and 4Ts? Thanks again,

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'09 150 Tangerine Buddy
They are essentially the same bike, Obviously the oiling is very different between the two, the 2T had a larger gas tank but I think the 4T gets better gas mileage so they can both go about the same distance on a tank of gas.

The 4T has holes in the engine side cowl for cooling that the 2T doesn't.

Stock I'd say the two bikes are comparable, about 50-55mph top speed.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

JohnKiniston wrote:
skipper20 wrote:
Also, is there any significant difference between the 2T and 4T Stellas other than the 2T emissions not being all that kind to the environment? Also, what's the top speed differences between the 2Ts and 4Ts? Thanks again,

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'09 150 Tangerine Buddy
They are essentially the same bike, Obviously the oiling is very different between the two, the 2T had a larger gas tank but I think the 4T gets better gas mileage so they can both go about the same distance on a tank of gas.

The 4T has holes in the engine side cowl for cooling that the 2T doesn't.

Stock I'd say the two bikes are comparable, about 50-55mph top speed.
I'm stock on my 4T and it can reach 55 mph (and a tad over) but the SOM (Scooter Owners Manual) DOES NOT RECOMMEND SUSTAINED HIGH SPEED FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME so when I've peaked it out on a lonely straight stretch of highway I've always backed off (besides, tint tires at that speed feels scarey fast...) but a 40-45 mph in top gear feels like it's 'sweet spot'...(or am I just crazy? :?
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

EvilNerdLord wrote: I'm stock on my 4T and it can reach 55 mph (and a tad over) but the SOM (Scooter Owners Manual) DOES NOT RECOMMEND SUSTAINED HIGH SPEED FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME so when I've peaked it out on a lonely straight stretch of highway I've always backed off (besides, tint tires at that speed feels scarey fast...) but a 40-45 mph in top gear feels like it's 'sweet spot'...(or am I just crazy? :?
Personally I 'Ride it like I stole it', I've taken my 4T on the Interstate when Amerivespa was in San Diego a few years ago and think nothing of riding it WOT on the backroads between Tucson and Phoenix when running up there for events.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

JohnKiniston wrote:Personally I 'Ride it like I stole it', I've taken my 4T on the Interstate when Amerivespa was in San Diego a few years ago and think nothing of riding it WOT on the backroads between Tucson and Phoenix when running up there for events.
I believe the issue with WOT riding is usually heat soak in the cylinder. My P200 would get nice and toasty when running wide open in top gear and wouldn't necessarily shed that heat when throttle back for a little while. The 2T Vespas and Stellas have iron cylinders which retain heat (to some extent). The 4T cylinder looks to be an aluminum bore with an iron sleeve; the aluminum outer casing and fins draws heat from the iron and sheds it more efficiently into the airstream from the fan. I would think the 4T would handle extended wide-open running better. It seems as though the engine problems stem from wide-open acceleration more that running at top speed.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

For the 2t it's all tuning. I can run my Stella at 6500 rpms for a full tank of fuel with no issues. Temps stay in the 320-345 degree range.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

well, I do know one thing...I can kill two birds with one stone...first I'll follow the SOM and take the 'cool down' break that way I GET THE CHANCE to get off, stretch my legs, whiz, whatever...because I am finding out in my dottage that that bench, stock seat (with out the cycling padded/compression shorts) gets...uhm..a bit firm. :oops:

Page 24 of the 4T SOM...yes it's for engine run in, but for my own comfort (as mentioned above) I still do it...even after 2k miles.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)