Stella 4T won't start. Help?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Madylinharwell

Stella 4T won't start. Help?

Post by Madylinharwell »

I just bought a 2012 Stella 4T from an authorized dealer. I'm the first owner and the scoot had 17 miles on it on purchase date. For the first week it ran great, started up with the electric start no problem. I haven't really used the kickstart much, but haven't needed to.

After the first week of riding the bike got a little wet in a rain storm and the next day wouldn't start. The electric starter made the bike sound like it was grinding and the kickstart isn't getting anything working either. The lights all turn on so I'm thinking it's not a battery issue.

For three weeks the dealer had my Stella and said they replaced the battery and cleaned the carb. Now I got it back this Wednesday, everything good.....until two days later the same issue and same sound. I'm not sure what's going on or what to do. I've cranked the kickstart so many times....I just bought this scooter and I'm feeling pretty discouraged by the amount of issues and lack of riding I've done since purchase. She has 40 miles on her and most of the month I've owned her has been spent at the dealer getting repaired or sitting parked due to being unable to start. I would ride her everyday if she would just go.

Help? :cry:
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

try cracking open your gas cap a little bit. Are you pulling out the choke when you're trying to kick start it? Also don't pull in the clutch lever when your kick starting it.
once you get this little bug worked out, you will enjoy the hell out of your new bike. I might also suggest that you try a different dealer, this dealer sounds like he has failed you
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Open up the kill/blinker switch on the right handlebar and allow it to dry out. It probably got wet and it's a known issue. Once it's dry, apply dielectric grease to the back of the switch.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:Open up the kill/blinker switch on the right handlebar and allow it to dry out. It probably got wet and it's a known issue. Once it's dry, apply dielectric grease to the back of the switch.
So the 4 strokes have the same kill switch issues as the 2 stroke Stellas too?
J H
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

jimmbomb wrote:
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:Open up the kill/blinker switch on the right handlebar and allow it to dry out. It probably got wet and it's a known issue. Once it's dry, apply dielectric grease to the back of the switch.
So the 4 strokes have the same kill switch issues as the 2 stroke Stellas too?
Same switch, so I don't see why not. Though I can't recall if I've heard of a 4T with a bad kill switch or not.
Madylinharwell

Post by Madylinharwell »

Thank you for these suggestions. When I get off work today I'm going to try all these things. I'll repost later on to update my riding status.
Madylinharwell

Started up!

Post by Madylinharwell »

I suppose the switch dried out in its own since I last tried to start my Stella up a few days ago. She kick started so easily and runs just fine! Problem is it's been raining so much here...I've been keeping her covered with a weather cover, but maybe it's not enough. Hopefully it stops raining soon. Lots of storms lately.

She ran great just now!
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Buy a tube of dielectric grease. Coat the back of the switch and the sides that sit inside the switch box on the handle bar to keep water out.
Madylinharwell

Post by Madylinharwell »

Hey I'd like to make an official complaint concerning the Stella I own. After I got her running again she stalled out completely going 30mph and won't start again. I had to push her 2 blocks UPHILL to park her near my place of residence. I think something is going on beyond a bad battery and a dirty carb. The dealership has shown unacceptable service. They had her for THREE WEEKS to "repair" the carb clean and battery. I'm not sure how to contact the Genuine company beyond the "info" email address that is posted on their web site. Does anyone know how I can contact the company more directly? I need results and my Stella is just a beautiful piece of junk unfortunately. Highly frustrating. I'm very dissapointed.

I can't just take the Stella to another dealer because the nearest one is the current one, and to tow it out to the next nearest one is beyond what I can afford.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Genuine has a warranty and tow service for two years, and unlimited miles for a new owner. If you can, locate another authorized dealer here:

http://www.genuinescooters.com/dealers.html

And give them a ring. Sorry to hear about your troubles, I'm really enjoying my new 2013 Stella 4t and sidecar! I keep my scooter outside, and under a cover. Only issues I've had with stalling is when I let it sit for a week without starting. It'll usually stall after it warms up when going, I pull over when I hear the sputter. Turn her off, open the gas cap for 30 sec, then continue on without issue.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Alot of folks have reported that switching the 2010 - current 4 stroke Stellas gas caps with 2009 and earlier gas caps
. And have reported sucess with the stalling issues of their 4 stroke stellas.
try it as an expirement.
its a cheap fix if it work for you.
good luck
J H
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

Based on the opening post and everyone comments are you still having issues? I'm kinda wondering if you have a bad battery again.

I got my 2012 new and the stock battery just sucked. I charged it up and within a week it would be too low to turn over the crank. Try getting a new battery if you get that grinding sound. You'll need the amps to turn it over.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

It should still run fine without the battery using the kick starter and choke.
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

This is true as I ran without a battery before. I was addressing the grinding sound. If the solenoid doesn't get enough amps it wont pick up and crank. Thanks for the clarification.
Mello

Post by Mello »

I've been having the same issues! I bought my 2012 4T with 8 miles on it and unfortunately it's sat in my driveway or work parking lot more than I have driven it. I am a new, new, newbie to scooters all together and after my investment of almost $4000 getting discouraged as well.

My automatic starter is pretty much never and kick starting is only sometimes. I bought my scooter as a main means of transportation and it's not working out so well so far. I don't know much about cables and such but searching here is has been most helpful so far!! By the by, thank you everyone!!

My question would be because I only drive back and forth to work, less than a mile, and just around town I've only put 44 miles on my scooter since I've had it (month and half). Part is due to it won't start all the time mind you. My dealer told me it's because I haven't "broke" it in yet and reached my 100 miles along with because my short distance isn't really getting the bike "running". Any thoughts as to the truth of this statement?
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

It sounds to me like you are not putting enough miles on the bike to recharge the battery after using the electric starter.

The Stella has a pretty small battery and a fairly weak charging system, There is enough power to charge the battery with the lights on but it's not a fast process.

Have you thought about getting a battery tender?

If it was me with a new bike I'd be taking it back to the shop for any problems, They come with a warranty for a reason!

When you kick-start your bike are you doing it with the choke knob pulled out? Mine needs the choke to start.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

JohnKiniston wrote:It sounds to me like you are not putting enough miles on the bike to recharge the battery after using the electric starter.

The Stella has a pretty small battery and a fairly weak charging system, There is enough power to charge the battery with the lights on but it's not a fast process.

Have you thought about getting a battery tender?

If it was me with a new bike I'd be taking it back to the shop for any problems, They come with a warranty for a reason!

When you kick-start your bike are you doing it with the choke knob pulled out? Mine needs the choke to start.
Its possible that the choke cable isnt adjusted out far enough as when they first introduced the 4t here in the USA.
Also yes on the battery tender for a sporadically used Stella
J H
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

It's hard, but I would be patient. Your dealer has probably never diagnosed or worked on a Stella before and Genuine has a new technical support guy who is likely in the same boat. As long as your dealer is keeping in touch with you, there's really not much else that can be done besides taking it to another dealer. The Stellas are very tricky machines especially for someone unfamiliar. It takes someone with vintage motorcycle skill to deal with them. Once the shifty Stellas get dialed in, they are good bikes, but sometimes it takes some fiddling. I've played with the the leftover 2013 we have and it's a great bike now.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Also, you should pick up a battery tender for that low of a mileage. A one mile commute isn't the best thing for a Stella, but ask your dealer about installing a Trail Tech temp gauge. You want to make sure your engine is getting up to operational temperature each time you ride it.
Mello

Post by Mello »

I finally resorted to having my battery jumped and from there drove around for some time, the next day, I had no problems using the automatic starter. It may have been just not driving far/long enough to keep the battery charged. Since then, I've been trying to not only give my battery some run time before actually jumping on and then taking the longer route to work and so far no more issues! Yay!

Thank you for the suggestions! I will pick up a battery tender as suggested just to keep on hand!
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I haven't measured the output of the electrical system at idle but it may actually discharge your battery if you just start the bike and leave it idling.

A prior bike I owned (Honda Big Ruckus) had such big and bright headlights that the bike only charged the battery when you were going above 30MPH, Anytime you were below 30 the battery was having to help power the lights.