rattling/vibrations

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tam

rattling/vibrations

Post by tam »

Since it's been raining almost non-stop here (not including the weekend), i haven't been able to put too many miles on it yet, but I did notice that there is a vibration which rattles the front legshield plastic. Mostly during deceleration or when going over 50mph. I'm pretty sure the vibration itself is a normal occurance for any type of motorcycle, but the rattling is pretty loud. I know its the plastic because when i put my hand on it, it stops.. I'm gonna see if it's put together properly and if the 3 bolts are tightened correctly, but i just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem...
rajron

Post by rajron »

In my case the whole scoot vibrates, and the faster I go the more it vibrates but as far as any of the plastic parts they all seem secure and do not rattle on my scoot, its just the motor and drive train that vibrate. Well the wheels are something else, I think proper balance will improve driving much more but cant figure how to balance them.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Anything (well, almost) with a one-cylinder engine is going to vibrate, that's the nature of the beast.

Balancing wheels is pretty straigtforward:
1. Remove the wheel
2. Put it on some sort of axle and let it spin.
3. Note the lowest point when it stops and spin again.
4. If it keeps stopping at the same point, apply a small tire weight at the opposite part of the wheel (i.e., the top).
5. Spin again and see where it stops.
6. Rinse and repeat.

Ideally, the stopping point should be pretty random, but if at the end your wheel is covered with weights, you may want to take it to a professional! :P
Last edited by vitaminC on Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Something like tire balance should have been part of the dealer's pre-delivery inspection and should have been caught during a test ride. You should definitely contact the dealer. That kind of vibration could be dangerous.

Have you tried spinning the rear wheel with the bike on its stand? Is it wobbly?
rajron

Post by rajron »

I should clarify – my scoot is stable and it most likely meets all stock specifications as far as balance and trueness, my local dealer is thorough and I trust they pre-inspected, test rode etc. the bike before it was sold. I am happy with the bike and its performance.
What I want is a step above what we have on the stock bikes to make me happier.
tam

Post by tam »

Yeah, I'm not too worried about vibrations, since it seems normal for a single cylinder motor. It's the rattling that kinda annoys me, and that's purely the plastics. Didn't get to check it out last night, but now at least I know it's not a common problem. Who knows, maybe it's missing a rubber washer somewhere...
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I've got nothing like that going on at any speeds. :shock: