LED Headlight

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

djp4059

LED Headlight

Post by djp4059 »

Anyone know what the headlight socket type is on a Stella 4T? H4 or something else. Since I did the DC conversion I'm looking at installing an LED headlight that uses less wattage. Anyone have an idea on which LED headlight that they would use if they were to buy one?
az_slynch

Re: LED Headlight

Post by az_slynch »

djp4059 wrote:Anyone know what the headlight socket type is on a Stella 4T? H4 or something else. Since I did the DC conversion I'm looking at installing an LED headlight that uses less wattage. Anyone have an idea on which LED headlight that they would use if they were to buy one?
I believe the Stella bulb type is HS1. It's very similar to an H4 but is designed for lower-power applications.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Don't. The reflector is made for a halogen filament, not an LED, your headlight will cast light all over, not where you want it. If you need a brighter headlight, switch from the 35/35W HS1 to a 55/60W H4, though you should use the kick starter because the electric starter will drain the battery, which the rest of the lights will depend on.
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

I bought this LED headlight - http://www.carid.com/lumen/lumen-plazma ... 64409.html - and installed it today. It only draws 11 watts. Seems to work fine, shines just as bright, but I won't be able to tell until it gets dark out.

I don't know if this would work with the stock electrical system, since the headlight uses the AC voltage from the regulator. I did the Half-wave to Full-wave conversion which means I'm using DC voltage for everything including the headlight. One thing nice about the DC conversion is that the headlight stays consistently bright, it doesn't dim and brighten depending on the rpms of the engine.