Your experience of Roughhouse 50 ownership, pro or con?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Whimscootie

Your experience of Roughhouse 50 ownership, pro or con?

Post by Whimscootie »

I am thinking about getting a RH 50 and I've read every post on here about the scooter. I'd like to know more.

I've owned a Ruckus, a Met, and a C3 in the past and would like a little 49cc scoot to tool around on, ride some rough back roads in the rural areas, or use to hop over to the grocery, etc.

My big scoot is my ''Caddie'' for longer rides and this will be my little fun ''spitfire'' scoot.

So I would like to hear from past and present owners about what you did or didn't like about the RH.

How you rode it, why you didn't keep it, or
any comments you feel would be helpful!
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Happy so far. Didn't like the seat, got Cheeky Seats to make something I like more. I'm gonna change the rear tire to something a little more aggressive and throw some Dr Sliders in it this month. And thats about it.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

I only have about 700 or so miles on mine right now. I'm a big dude (about 280ish lbs.) and can hit 40 pretty easily on it, and with the wind on my back 45 mph frequently. haven't had any trouble with it yet. My dislikes.... the mirrors! Possibly because of my size, when riding, in the mirrors I only see my shoulders or upper arm. Another inch or two to the mirror arms would eliminate that problem. that's the only negative I have experienced so far.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I have just under 1000 miles on mine and it is great. I had a dealer check a few things out, such as a suspected rubbing rear brake shoe, but all was okay. It runs pretty quickly for a 50. It has great suspension in my opinion, but I have the titanium with the sport shock at the rear. Not sure how the regular ones ride, but I would think that they are just as good.

My only issue so far was some 4-stroking after some long wide open throttle runs when I think the engine got a bit hot (speculation), but after I slowed for a while, it cleared up. Not had that issue since. I'd be interested to know If anyone else has had a similar issue actually.
boyjeenyus

LOVE MINE

Post by boyjeenyus »

I've put about 2000 miles on mine in the last year. I've used it on lots of dirt, gravel, and pavement....seems to handle them all well. I'm a light rider (145 lbs), but with no major engine upgrades (lighter roller weights, and de-restricted), I can hit 50 on level ground no problem. Over-all it feels great. I've also hit a few small jumps (probably never more than 6" above the ground), which seem like no problem for the frame/suspension. The mirrors aren't great, and I fairly regularly brake the rear brake/signal lights, but they're cheap so I don't mind. Starts well, plenty of power, and it's a joy to ride.

Hope that helps!
Stephen
ffeingol

Post by ffeingol »

I'll pretty much concur with everyone else. My only issue is mirrors. My shoulders are either too wide are the mirrors are too narrow :-D I'll be looking for some 3rd party mirrors.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I've got about 450 miles on my 2015 R50 and have owned it a couple of months. I'd buy it again. The mirrors are well constructed but the view is limited. . .that being said it's a shortcoming I can live with. The power is more than I expected. I purchased 3 quarts of 2-stroke oil (Amsoil Dominator Synthetic) and expect it to be more than enough to get me through the summer and at this rate will probably last a lot longer. I weigh in the 260 lb. range and have had it up to 45 MPH indicated on flats for limited distances until I get it totally broken in (still had some throttle left). The seat padding is just adequate and as others have said you can do something about that and the mirrors if you need to. The carrying space under the seat is plentiful. I was able to get 2 (3.5 lb.) bags of Hill's Science Diet Cat Food in there and still had some room left over for smaller items. The handling is good. The steering is quick compared to a regular motorcycle and can take some getting used to but once you get the hang of it you can ride with more confidence. I've done some light off road with it and was satisfied. That being said the suspension has it's limits so you need to pick your line to minimize serious pot holes or washboard. . .it will bottom out without too much effort for someone in my weight range. But again, it's something I can live with and overall for $2 grand (plus) it's about the greatest deal out there IMHO for a 49cc scooter. If I have time and get motivated I'll try to do a video. The only mods I did so far were deer whistles and some rubber mat material on the deck. One last thing. . .the kick starter is a great feature to prolong battery life and the storage bin and luggage rack come in handy. . .especially the storage bin. :helmet:
Attachments
DCP_1435a.jpg
DCP_1435a.jpg (174.6 KiB) Viewed 1494 times