Upgrade from Buddy 125 to Blackjack worth it?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

schroeder

Upgrade from Buddy 125 to Blackjack worth it?

Post by schroeder »

What difference can I expect with a Blackjack over a Buddy 125? how much speed will I gain with the Blackjack? What else would I get?
Me? I ride for the bugs!
skipper20

Re: Upgrade from Buddy 125 to Blackjack worth it?

Post by skipper20 »

schroeder wrote:What difference can I expect with a Blackjack over a Buddy 125? how much speed will I gain with the Blackjack? What else would I get?
Maybe 5 mph tops. You'll get a Pima performance muffler, a solo seat with red piping and suspension improvements. There may be more but I've forgotten. I sold mine to my youngest son and took his '09 Tangerine Buddy 125 in on trade. Traded that in on my recently acquired Hooligan. After riding the Blackjack for a year and his scooter for a month, I really didn't notice much difference. Unless you want the BJ because it's different, I'd stick with your Buddy 125.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'14 170i Hooligan
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

You also get a beefed up front disc brake. The suspension upgrades are the biggest improvement. Handling is better, and if you bought the shock and forks you would shell out about $600.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

The 150 series engine setup is a double-edged sword: it doesn't have all the kitting options of the 125 with its stroker crank, but on the upside, it's set up with an oil cooler which, depending on where you live, can really help keep the engine temps reasonable. Other than that, the Blackjack is a 150 like the old Internationals but with upgraded disc brakes, NCY front and rear suspension, a solo seat, and theoretically both stock and Prima exhausts. Genuine supposedly shipped the bike with the stock 150 exhaust but provided the Prima as well. I'm sure not all dealers provided both exhausts to the consumers.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

KrispyKreme wrote:You also get a beefed up front disc brake. The suspension upgrades are the biggest improvement. Handling is better, and if you bought the shock and forks you would shell out about $600.
There's a nice BJ in Seattle at http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5074852037.html

The $1600 asking price is nice too!

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'14 170i Hooligan
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

skipper20 wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:You also get a beefed up front disc brake. The suspension upgrades are the biggest improvement. Handling is better, and if you bought the shock and forks you would shell out about $600.
There's a nice BJ in Seattle at http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5074852037.html

The $1600 asking price is nice too!

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'14 170i Hooligan

Go for it, dude. The bike retailed for 3499.00 MSRP before fees and taxes. 1600.00 sound nice. You could always lowball and get lucky, too.
toot

Worth it

Post by toot »

I have had the 125, 170, and now the Blackjack. By far the ride better and is my favorite . I even like it better than my Blur. It carves the canyons and gets me in front of traffic. My opinion. Want to buy a Blur???
babblefish

Re: Worth it

Post by babblefish »

toot wrote:I have had the 125, 170, and now the Blackjack. By far the ride better and is my favorite . I even like it better than my Blur. It carves the canyons and gets me in front of traffic. My opinion. Want to buy a Blur???
PM sent...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

I decided against the Blackjack. Already have a Buddy 125 and I decided I wanted something different.So, I will be picking up My new Honda PCX 150 tomorrow. I have read lots of good things about this scooter on several forums. Got it out the door for under $3600 and I think being a Honda that is a great deal. It is a metalflake in pearl white.
Me? I ride for the bugs!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

schroeder wrote:I decided against the Blackjack. Already have a Buddy 125 and I decided I wanted something different.So, I will be picking up My new Honda PCX 150 tomorrow. I have read lots of good things about this scooter on several forums. Got it out the door for under $3600 and I think being a Honda that is a great deal. It is a metalflake in pearl white.

That's a fantastic deal. I love Hondas. They aren't the flashiest, but they run forever.