Let's talk Tires and Wheels. Specifically, Bigger!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Yalzin

Let's talk Tires and Wheels. Specifically, Bigger!

Post by Yalzin »

So, after a few months in the shop for an engine rebuild (hooray warranty!), I've been doing some thinking...

I currently have the tubeless SIP rims. Absolutely love how they feel and look on the scooter. But after borrowing two scooters with 12" wheels, going back to 10" was...something that took getting used to again.

So, hypothetically, what do you think would need to be done to put some 12" wheels on my Stella? Possible? (Anything is possible, look at the efi/turbo stella!) Doable? Cost-prohibitive? Thoughts?

Has anyone seen it done before? I've seen some 12" conversions on older Vespas, but not on a Stella...
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Are you sure you have seen a 12 inch conversion on a Vespa?

I've seen 8 inch to 10 inch conversions for the old bikes but never heard of anyone going to a 12.

I know a guy who runs a 10x4 on his 'Dirt' scooter, He used half a GS rim which are spaced differently to get the wider tire on the rear.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

I might be wrong, but isn't this a 12" conversion?

Maybe I should e-mail SIP?

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic61445
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

To quote that thread:

"Side fenders come from a GS 160, which fit nicely on the VNB frame, especially because the chassis has been modified to 12". The 12" conversion is based on a VESPA GTS300"

It sounds to me like you'd need frame changes to make it work.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Oh :(

(That'll teach me to not read!)
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I don't have one handy to check, but I believe the SIP catalogue has a page on doing the 12" conversion. I remember it not being cheap, but I do think they sell it all as a "kit"
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?