Hooligan Windshield Installation

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Hooligan Windshield Installation

Post by skipper20 »

anybody done one? I got a Prima brand Hooligan dedicated windshield from Scooterworks but it came without installation instructions. Before I call Scooterworks to see if they can provide me with a copy I was curious to see if any of you Hoolie owners had attempted to install one. It looks pretty straightforward except the 2 mounting brackets go UNDER the headset. There's no pre-drilled mounting holes under there so I'm wondering just how it's done. Anyone?

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'14 170i matte green Hooligan
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Look as Scooterworks' website, there's a pretty good set of directions on the page selling the windscreen.
You need to remove the lower panel of your headset and there's detents where you drill out the holes yourself.

http://www.scooterworks.com/filebin/ima ... ctions.pdf
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

KABarash wrote:Look as Scooterworks' website, there's a pretty good set of directions on the page selling the windscreen.
You need to remove the lower panel of your headset and there's detents where you drill out the holes yourself.

I downloaded the instructions and with all of the plastic removal and required drilling, I decided to let the dealer do the installation. They did and charged me $57.00 tax included. For me and my limited wrenching skills, it was a very good investment.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'14 170i Hooligan
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

skipper20 wrote:
KABarash wrote:Look as Scooterworks' website, there's a pretty good set of directions on the page selling the windscreen.

I downloaded the instructions and with all of the plastic removal and required drilling, I decided to let the dealer do the installation. They did and charged me $57.00 tax included. For me and my limited wrenching skills, it was a very good investment.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'14 170i Hooligan
Sometimes stuff like that is best left to the professionals. They've got to earn a living too......
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Greyscoot

Post by Greyscoot »

I had the dealer install mine, also.
ahorsewithnoname

windshield Hooligan

Post by ahorsewithnoname »

Dealer installed windshield on my Hooligan lasted 550 miles. It broke off at the handlebar mounting point and the dealer had to install a new handlebar. No cost to me under warranty. But am not sure how long it will last. The windshield really really shakes the way the brackets cantilever out front of the top cover. I'm going to take it off for the summer and use a full face helmet. I have other front end vibrations over fifty (another post) and curious if maybe the vibrations will be eliminated.
Regards, GGP
Greyscoot

Post by Greyscoot »

I haven't had any issues with my windshield, yet. Mine is up against the front cover at the bottom and I haven't noticed any shaking. I did follow the mechanics recommendation to check the mounting hardware at 100 miles to make sure everything was still tight. I don't think the windshield has any bearing on the vibration issue above 50 mph. My Hooligan had (has) the vibration issue both before and after the windshield installation. Nothing changed because of the windshield.
babblefish

Re: windshield Hooligan

Post by babblefish »

ahorsewithnoname wrote:Dealer installed windshield on my Hooligan lasted 550 miles. It broke off at the handlebar mounting point and the dealer had to install a new handlebar. No cost to me under warranty. But am not sure how long it will last. The windshield really really shakes the way the brackets cantilever out front of the top cover. I'm going to take it off for the summer and use a full face helmet. I have other front end vibrations over fifty (another post) and curious if maybe the vibrations will be eliminated.
Regards, GGP
I have basically the same windshield on my Blur and have experienced none vibration at all and it's been on there since 2006. Something doesn't sound right with your situation. One other thing to check for other than wheel balance (front and rear) is whether or not there is any play in the headset (steering column) bearings. Only way to check this is to lift the front end off the ground where the the front wheel is not touching then check for up and down movement and side to side movement.
One other thing to check, though a little tougher to do, is whether one of the front forks (shock) has significantly different movement such as stiction, has more/less dampening, or spring stiffness. Probable causes for problems could be a broken spring or incorrect amount of oil.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

For anyone with a windshield on their Hooligan, could you provide measurements of the mounting strut legs?

The Buddy has the same mounting points on the handlebars. At least my Blackjack does. I have not yet peeked under anyone else's handlebar cover, but I think it's safe to assume that others have the same arrangement!

If the strut legs are long enough, then it might be possible to use the hardware kit with the Buddy Prima windshield. It would make for a much cleaner install.