ticking sound from top of motor

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tonymca

ticking sound from top of motor

Post by tonymca »

Just started hearing a tick from my 150 buddy. Only does it while idling stops as soon as i give it any throttle. Just replaced spark plug cleaned air filter and turned up idle to keep it from stalling. Has 8200 miles
KrispyKreme

Re: ticking sound from top of motor

Post by KrispyKreme »

tonymca wrote:Just started hearing a tick from my 150 buddy. Only does it while idling stops as soon as i give it any throttle. Just replaced spark plug cleaned air filter and turned up idle to keep it from stalling. Has 8200 miles

Sounds like you need a valve adjustment. That's usually what "ticking" means. At 8200 you are due . I think the recommended interval is around 4k, but I just keep an ear on it. If I get to about 6k I'll do one anyway.
tonymca

Post by tonymca »

is it an easy thing to do and if not what does that normally cost at a shop
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

It's around $100 to get it done. Here is a video of a first service on a Buddy. At the end he adjusts the valves. REMEMBER, the engine must be cold when you adjust the valves. Overnight cold.

https://vimeo.com/5377019

You'll need a valve gauge, and an 8mm T-socket wrench is very handy.

http://www.atgstores.com/automotive-spe ... 28185538:s

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0093/

Just go slow and be careful. You should be fine. 0.08mm is the correct valve clearance. It should be a be a snug fit, but not too snug.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Check your oil level, too. In many engines, that part furthest from the oil sump is the first to suffer if the level is too low. I have a car that does this.

Scoot should be parked level, on the center stand, and the engine warm but shut off for a few minutes to let the oil drain down to the sump. Unscrew the dipstick, wipe it clean, then screw it all the way in, unscrew it, and check the level. It should be in the crosshatched section of the dipstick, no higher, no lower.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

PeteH wrote:Check your oil level, too. In many engines, that part furthest from the oil sump is the first to suffer if the level is too low. I have a car that does this.

Scoot should be parked level, on the center stand, and the engine warm but shut off for a few minutes to let the oil drain down to the sump. Unscrew the dipstick, wipe it clean, then screw it all the way in, unscrew it, and check the level. It should be in the crosshatched section of the dipstick, no higher, no lower.
You don't have to screw it in, remember the GY6 is a Honda designed motor. Doesn't make too much of a difference either way.

But yeah, check your oil. It's probably way too low.
tonymca

Post by tonymca »

thanks everyone
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

avescoots1134 wrote:
PeteH wrote:Check your oil level, too. In many engines, that part furthest from the oil sump is the first to suffer if the level is too low. I have a car that does this.

You don't have to screw it in, remember the GY6 is a Honda designed motor. Doesn't make too much of a difference either way.

Actually, PGO says to screw the dipstick all the way down then remove it to check the oil level. This is in their service manual for the X-Hot/Libre. Our local scooter shop does it this way, too.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

babblefish wrote:
avescoots1134 wrote:

Actually, PGO says to screw the dipstick all the way down then remove it to check the oil level. This is in their service manual for the X-Hot/Libre. Our local scooter shop does it this way, too.
Yup.
Robbie

Re: ticking sound from top of motor

Post by Robbie »

tonymca wrote:Just started hearing a tick from my 150 buddy. Only does it while idling stops as soon as i give it any throttle. Just replaced spark plug cleaned air filter and turned up idle to keep it from stalling. Has 8200 miles
Re-check the spark plug you installed for tightness.....a loose plug sounds the same as a loose valve.

Rob
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

tonymca wrote:thanks everyone

Believe me we(I) enjoy explaining things. :) It makes me feel smarter than I actually am. The valve adjustment on a Buddy is a 30 minute job, but if you don't feel comfortable, have your shop do it. If you feel like trying it yourself, buying the valve gauge and t-socket will pay for itself quickly.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

MB's technical library can be your friend: topic8312.html
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
tonymca

Post by tonymca »

getting it done tomorrow for $90
and its not the spark plug it was installed after i noticed the tic
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

tonymca wrote:getting it done tomorrow for $90
and its not the spark plug it was installed after i noticed the tic
A

Cool. It's probably a good idea to have a trained mechanic to give it a good looking over. Maybe next valve adjustment you can give it a try. :)

Edit-Lucky 7's on the post count. Lottery ticket time.