Yamaha S-Max 155 anyone?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

schroeder

Yamaha S-Max 155 anyone?

Post by schroeder »

Has anyone taken one of these for a ride? I am hearing good things about it. We need more midsized scooter options from the "big three". I hear they are made in Taiwan which I think is a good thing. People claim they will go close to 70 mph gps certified.
Me? I ride for the bugs!
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

I sat on one in the local dealership and felt very cramped. I wish that the seat didn't sit so far forward for the driver.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Got a quick review of one in Motorcycle Consumer News (February 2015 Vol 46. No 2.) and they liked it alot. Says it does 80mph! I have not seen one in person yet myself. Tempted myself, but was less than impressed with my old Zuma 125.
Driller

If it fits...

Post by Driller »

A friend I took a spin on one a couple of months ago, just before I pulled the trigger on a Buddy. It is a well built scoot. Though new and not broken in, we could not see 70+mph coming from it. It handled well and felt very stable in turns and at speed. Windscreen worked well for me at 5'10" but we both felt a bit cramped in the cockpit. Knees were a bit high and close to the bars.
It would be a fine scoot to have and might make a good "all rounder"for urban use mixed with back/country road travel.
I sat on a 2015 PCX not long after, and felt like it fit me better I had a 2011 PCX 125 and that was very similar. One bike I really regret trading. A new PCX might be had for a few bucks less than the SMax. Both good performers.
Most importantly, is how it fits you.
You have two winners in the stable.

My Buddy 125 does make me grin a lot. 8)
"My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder."
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

Driller, sent you a private message.
Me? I ride for the bugs!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I rode a friend's Yamaha SMAX yesterday. Very impressive. I have no idea how they managed to get a 155cc to go that fast with such a heavy scooter.

The ride was very smooth and buttery. I felt like I was laying on my sofa with my TV remote in hand. I suspect it's due to the wide 13" tires and probably a softly sprung suspension. I didn't get to push it hard in twisties, but on regular streets it was very well behaved.

Bottom line is this is the elusive Genuine 300cc that everyone has been screaming for. It does 70+ mph and gets excellent gas mileage because it's a 155cc. It's definitely a large scooter compared to a Buddy, but not nearly as large as bigger displacement maxi-scooters. It spans the gap nicely. It does feel heavier and handles slower, but it's very impressive nonetheless. It even has a flat floorboard which I prefer.

The only drawback is for taller riders. I'm just over 6 feet. I suspect it would be better for those under 5'10" or you'll feel a little squished in the cockpit. Wind noise was still quite present despite the included windscreen, but that might be due to my height.

I have no clue how they managed to squeeze that kind of performance out of a 155. Whatever voodoo they're using, it works and works well.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

My neighbor picked one of these up and he hasn't gotten off of it since. He's 5'8 and it fits him perfect. The 4 valve 155cc is a workhorse and you can't beat Yamaha quality. The suspension is extra cush and the 13'' wheels are great. I was definitely impressed.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I am going to pickup my brand new one today!!!!! :D
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Can't wait to hear your impressions, please let us know how everything goes.

Pics are always appreciated!
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Will do!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I read on the Yamaha site that this great scoot' is built in Taiwan.
I wonder if it's built by one of the large scoot' companies in Taiwan (Kymco, Sym, PGO) or in a Yamaha plant?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

GregsBuddy wrote:I read on the Yamaha site that this great scoot' is built in Taiwan. I wonder if it's built by one of the large scoot' companies in Taiwan (Kymco, Sym, PGO) or in a Yamaha plant?
I owned a Vino 125 which was built in a Yamaha plant on Taiwan. I suspect the same is true of the S-Max. If you had an S-Max VIN number you could sort out the answer.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I picked my Smax up yesterday. Been varying the speed and have not opened it up all the way but have already seen 73. One negative is which many reviewers have said is the leg room. It is so stable and the brakes are awesome. It has an awesome motor that just wants to go. I am loving it! Image
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Congrats! I'm jelly.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

I looked at the S-Max but opted for a Honda PCX 150. The cockpit was very cramped and the PCX felt much more roomy and more to my liking. I thought the windscreen on the Yamaha was really ugly. I am enjoying the Honda and I hope you will be happy with your S-Max.
Me? I ride for the bugs!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Sweet bike bgwss. I, too, am jelly as hell.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Green jelly here too.
I had a Vino 125 as well. It was good quality but was behind in technology (air cooled, carburetor, two valves) and lacking power.
This SMax appears to be right with the times, sans ABS which is still a bit rare.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The SMAX 155 is pretty nice. I was reading a review on it and the reviewer seemed to think the cantilever single rear shock was unique to the Yamaha. Guess he's unaware of the PGO GMAX/Genuine Blur scooters. Anyway, I hope this is a signal that Yamaha might start bringing in some of their other scooters that are normally not sold here in the US such as the X-MAX 250. I wanted to buy a TMAX 500 until I saw how big and heavy it was. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a scooter in my eyes. But ah, the X-MAX 250 would be perfect for freeway jaunts and not too big for around the city commuting. The Momodesign version would be nice...but probably expensive as heck.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

~400 lbs.!
I really like how Yamaha is the sportbike of scooters.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

329 :D
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I stand corrected!
Much better indeed.
About 100 #'s heavier than Buddy 170i.