Stella front hub swap: Star for old drum style

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slotrod65

Stella front hub swap: Star for old drum style

Post by slotrod65 »

This thread is a branch off of the thread discussing Stella 4T performance exhausts:

viewtopic.php?t=26301&postdays=0&postor ... 0539e6ff22

az_slynch posted the following:

Happened to look at ScooterWorks, saw this blog entry. They're working on a prototype pipe, apparently. I like the look of it:

Here's the blog post that mentions it. http://www.scooterworks.com/blog/custom ... zl-_vldXvx

I also like how they put an OG Stella hub up front on this 4T. That's on my list for my bike when I get it.

I replied: That old style front hub intrigues me. I am not a fan of the way the star hub looks. Does anyone have a clue what would be involved in adding this style front hub to a Stella?

and clayjo asked:

Can we start a new discussion on that? I too dislike the 'star' and would like to swap out or get one of those moon hubcaps.

so... here it is...

What is involved in swapping out a old style drum front hub for the stock star front hub?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I may be making a few big assumptions here, but here's my take:

All Stellas use the same front brake pad.

Looking into parts vendors in the UK by searching for LML Star brake rotor, I learned three things.

1) The rotor has a 96mm bolt pattern.
2) The rotor mounts to the hub with 5 bolts.
3) There is a list of bikes that use this rotor, which follows.

GILERA DNA 50
LML STAR 125 2 STROKE
LML STAR 125 4 STROKE
LML STAR 150 4 STROKE

PIAGGIO HEXAGON LX 125
PIAGGIO HEXAGON LX 180
PIAGGIO SFERA 125 RST
PIAGGIO SFERA 50 RST with DISC FRONT BRAKE
PIAGGIO ZIP 125
PIAGGIO ZIP SP 50 1996>1999
PIAGGIO ZIP SP 50 2001 ON
VESPA ET2 50
VESPA ET4 50
VESPA ET4 125 1996>2000
VESPA ET4 125 2000 on
VESPA LX 50 2 STROKE and LXV 50 2 STROKE
VESPA LX 50 4 STROKE
VESPA LX 125 and LXV 125
VESPA PX 200 E DISC
VESPA S 50 2 STROKE
VESPA S 125

Interesting that the Vespa ET-series and LX-series uses the same rotor. The important bit is that the rotor is the same for the 2T and 4T model. Makes sense, since the pads are the same.

The only unknown at this point is the size of the axle spindle. Way back in days of yore (I think it was in the latter half of the '80s?), Piaggio changed the front axle size from 16mm to 20mm on the P/PX series scooters (from which the Stella came about). I believe that the disc-brake bikes all had the 20mm axle and it would make sense if the Stella did too.

I found a link for a front hub from SIP for retrofitting on PX-Vespas with the "star" hub. Doesn't look modified to me, though. Only modification I could imagine is sleeving it down to fit the older, 16mm axle.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that the hub off of any 2T Stella is a bolt-on for the 4T models and most likely, the Automatic variant too. I have access to a spare hub so I will be trying the swap once I've gotten my 4T. I'm also betting that if ScooterWorks swapped it on, it was probably a direct swap. If fiddling had been required, the blog post would have mentioned it.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

All that is involved is -

A)Remove the old hub.
B)Fit the new hub.

How do I know ? Because I did it but the other way around because I prefer the look of the star shaped hub.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Great news Tipper. I want to paint my rims and hubs blue to match the Stella, and I think the drum will give a more vintage look.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Digging up the dead, but have you seen these?

FA Italia rim, Ceres

FA Italia rim, Racing
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Ordered a new 2T hub assembly on Thursday. Time to get down to business.

jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

So, what is the story on the pipe in the opening post? it kind of looks like a Polini silencer to me.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jimmbomb wrote:So, what is the story on the pipe in the opening post? it kind of looks like a Polini silencer to me.
Jim,

That pipe was reported to be a prototype Scooterworks exhaust for the 4T. They still don't list it as available. Shame, because I think it's one of the sharpest looking pipes for the 4T.

jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

az_slynch wrote:
jimmbomb wrote:So, what is the story on the pipe in the opening post? it kind of looks like a Polini silencer to me.
Jim,

That pipe was reported to be a prototype Scooterworks exhaust for the 4T. They still don't list it as available. Shame, because I think it's one of the sharpest looking pipes for the 4T.
all i can see is the silencer. Shame theres no pic of the other side..
BUT, it looks like Polini to me only rattle canned to silver instead of the stock black.
i know this cause i put one on my 2010 and modded it, so i became very familiar with the Polini 4t pipe.
lets hope im wrong and there will soon be another option for the 4ts
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

New hub is on. Easy swap, part cost $150 new from Genuine.

Now for some dressier rims and some decent whitewalls. If it won't go fast, it can at least look sharp. :wink:
Attachments
Yeah, yeah...pics or it didn't happen.
Yeah, yeah...pics or it didn't happen.
Stella_New-Old_Hub.jpg (170.38 KiB) Viewed 901 times