North Jersey Service/Repair Shop Recommendations?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootiePuffJr

North Jersey Service/Repair Shop Recommendations?

Post by ScootiePuffJr »

Hi All!

I recently acquired a 2009 Buddy 125 (Sea Foam) and I'm LOVING it!

I'm having trouble finding a repair/service shop near me. The closest Genuine dealer is over an hour away. Do any of you fine folks have a good shop in Northern NJ that you recommend?

Thanks!
george54

Post by george54 »

Why not ask Motorcycle Mall right next door to you? While not a Genuine dealership, they sell and I assume, service like seven other brands of scooters, don't they? I have never tried them though.

And wouldn't the Genuine dealer in NYC be only about a dozen miles away from you? I do know it'd seem more than that in time tough.
ScootiePuffJr

Post by ScootiePuffJr »

Thanks, George. I did ask Motorcycle Mall and they told me they would not service it. The NYC dealer is a possibility - although getting my little scooter to 127th Street sounds daunting. I just wanted to see if anyone here had some brilliant secret shop I didn't know of.
george54

Post by george54 »

Gee, that sucks about Motorcycle Mall. I never before heard of dealers turning down work. It's gotta be easy for an experienced mechanic who already services a half dozen other brands!

Maybe try the place that took over Metro Scooter in Northvale?

I'm in the same boat you are with the NYC shop being the closest Genuine dealer to me, but it'd be suicide to ride the Buddy 125 on an interstate highway and the George Washington Bridge to get there. I'll do the routine stuff myself and if I need more extensive work, throw it on the trailer and bring it in that way I guess.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I've had two local Yamaha shops say "no way" to working on my Buddy, it can't be much different than a Vino. Their loss, I now have a Genuine dealer 3 miles from my house.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ScootiePuffJr

Post by ScootiePuffJr »

I had a Yamaha dealer shoot me down, too. He asked if the Buddy was a Chinese scooter. I said Taiwanese. He derisively said, "same thing." I wasn't going to argue with him if he didn't want my business.

Anybody know anything about these guys?
http://www.metropolitanmotorbikes.com

I'll have to give them a call, but the website says they service all makes of scooter. Beats crossing the Hudson!
ruprider

Post by ruprider »

Any luck with finding a repair shop in north Jersey?
I'm looking in the Morris county area. Called a few power sport shops with no luck.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

My buddy John owns cycle pro on rt. 46 in hackettstown. He'll work on it. Been in business for over 15 years. Great guy. Tell him Larry referred you.
908-850-1955.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
ruprider

Post by ruprider »

Thanks for the info! :lol:
Will check him out.

I'm in Parsippany/Hanover area so not close enough to ride w an R50 but still closer than anywhere else I know.

Close to breaking down and getting a hitch mounted carrier anyways
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Like most shops, John is closed on Mondays. If you can get it to him, you won't be disappointed. I've known John since he opened up his shop over 15 years ago and he's one heck of a mechanic.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200