Installed LED headlight in my Blur

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

babblefish

Installed LED headlight in my Blur

Post by babblefish »

I had previously upgraded my headlight from the stock 35W halogen to a 50W halogen in my Blur, but was still not satisfied with the light output nor the color temperature of the light beam (yellow, or around 3500K).

My original plan to improve the situation was to upgrade to an HID system that has both low beam and high beam in one bulb at a color temperature of 6000K (bluish white). The system that I was looking at is rated for an average power consumption of 35W with a lumen output that is much, much greater than an average halogen bulb and doing it while generating much less heat.

This all changed when I found LED headlight upgrades on the internet. I have some LED flashlights that are blindingly bright with a lot of range so I thought, why not use this in a headlight? So I jumped on one of my favorite online stores, www.banggood.com, and bought this setup: http://www.banggood.com/Motorcycle-LED- ... 36130.html. The price was right and shipping is free.
Unfortunately, what I received was different from what was shown on their website, though from previous experience with this outfit, I knew that if I contacted them they would take care of the problem. But, I decided to just keep what they sent mainly because it is rated for 25W vs the 20W for the unit shown on their website. The color temperature I choose is 6000K. Unfortunately, the instructions are written in Chinese, but I didn't really need them since installation is so easy.

The LED headlight has both low beam and high beam in one unit. LED's can get pretty hot, so the headlight is made of aluminum with a heatsink and cooling fan built into the back of it. It comes with several mounting adapters to match the different types of headlight bulbs used in bikes and cars. My Blur (not sure if the Buddy is the same) uses H4 type bulbs, so I used that adapter. It also came with a rubber weather shield similar to what's used in the stock headlight assembly. I found that I couldn't use this shield in the Blur because of the way the LED mounted into the headlight housing.

Locking the LED unit in place with the scooter's bailing wire lock mechanism is kind of a pain, but it's doable.

As mentioned, there are two LED elements, one on each side of the unit. One is labelled "Up" and the other "Down". When low beam is selected, only one of the elements is turned on. When high beam is selected, both elements are turned on. On low beam only, it draws 12W and 25W on high beam.

There are three connection wires plus a connector housing which does not match the one in the scooter. I cut the contacts off the wires and crimped on some male flat blade type contacts which allowed them to be plugged individually into the stock headlight connector.

The LED voltage regulator box was ty-wrapped onto the scooter's wire harness to keep it from bouncing around.

So how bright is this thing? Much brighter than my halogen by a large margin. It easily lights up stop signs a block away on high beam. Most of the streets I ride on are pretty well lit by street lights, so I'll have to go find some dark, unlit roads to really test it out. So far, my aging eyes are really happy with the improvement in light output. Since much less current is required to power the headlight, more current is available for other accessories such as heated grips and 1000W stereo's.:D
I haven't been flashed by on-coming cars yet, so I guess I'm not blinding anyone (on low beam, anyway).
Attachments
With H4 adapter and weather shield installed. I couldn't use the weather shield, so removed it.
With H4 adapter and weather shield installed. I couldn't use the weather shield, so removed it.
IMG_5265.JPG (130.4 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Connection wires and their function.
Connection wires and their function.
wires.JPG (69.86 KiB) Viewed 678 times
LED heatsink with internal cooling fan.
LED heatsink with internal cooling fan.
IMG_5264.JPG (95.73 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Small LED voltage regulator.
Small LED voltage regulator.
IMG_5263.JPG (108.3 KiB) Viewed 678 times
LED unit with H4 mounting adapter. I ended up not using the rubber weather shield.
LED unit with H4 mounting adapter. I ended up not using the rubber weather shield.
IMG_5262.JPG (144.19 KiB) Viewed 678 times
LED unit with mounting adapters
LED unit with mounting adapters
IMG_5261.JPG (112.78 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Last edited by babblefish on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

More pictures of the LED headlight upgrade.
Attachments
LED element inside the headlight housing
LED element inside the headlight housing
IMG_5274.JPG (107.07 KiB) Viewed 677 times
LED voltage regulator ty-wrapped to scooter's wiring loom.
LED voltage regulator ty-wrapped to scooter's wiring loom.
IMG_5272.JPG (105.33 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Electrical connection to scooter wire harness. That black block thing is the original connector that was plugged onto the original halogen bulb.
Electrical connection to scooter wire harness. That black block thing is the original connector that was plugged onto the original halogen bulb.
IMG_5271.JPG (104.75 KiB) Viewed 677 times
LED unit installed in headlight housing.
LED unit installed in headlight housing.
IMG_5270.JPG (107.94 KiB) Viewed 677 times
tang_28

Post by tang_28 »

Looking good!!!
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Once the installation is complete, please take a few photos of the LED bulb conversion shining on a wall from about 20-25 feet away.

When the light source (bulb) is changed from one type to another in our headlights, the entire lighting system changes completely. Here are a couple photos comparing the beam patterns of a stock halogen headlight and an LED "conversion kit" shining on the same wall from the same distance.

With the stock halogen bulb, it is easy to see the cutoff line that keeps the headlight from blinding oncoming traffic. The upward sloping cutoff line at the right hand side helps the rider to see left turning oncoming traffic sooner, pedestrians and animals etc on the side of the road.

The massive difference that changing the light source from a halogen bulb to an LED bulb is easy to see here. The entire post can be found on the Triumph Thunderbird 1600 site here: http://www.thunderbird1600.com/csp/thun ... nLocation=

I have never seen an LED conversion that had any type of defined beam when installed in a reflector housing. In the past 18 months, I have tested more than a dozen different LED conversion kits and sent them all back to the suppliers after finding very similar results to what is shown in the photos above.

Hopefully one day there will be a simple drop in solution to a well controlled and efficient light for our Genuine's. Unfortunately the current versions of the LED headlights I have seen all fall far short of being safe for the rider as well as anyone else on the road.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Thanks for the lighting examples. You are correct in that the LED beam seems more scattered when compared to a halogen bulb. I noticed that when I installed mine. Though scattered, there is more light in front of my bike as compared to the previous halogen. I guess the only way to get a well controlled LED beam at the moment is with a projector type setup. Not quite so easy to adapt to a Blur headlight assembly, unfortunately.
That being said, I'm thinking about trying one of the HID conversion kits that has both hi-beam and lo-beam. The price is right so I don't mind experimenting.