buddy 150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jvd1552

buddy 150

Post by jvd1552 »

I have returned after being away for 2 years (service). Before I left, I had gas treated my Buddy 150. It has not been started for two years, but I did treat the gas before I left. Can I start it without damaging the engine?
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Drain and refill the gas, change the oil, and see if it fires.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
babblefish

Re: buddy 150

Post by babblefish »

jvd1552 wrote:I have returned after being away for 2 years (service). Before I left, I had gas treated my Buddy 150. It has not been started for two years, but I did treat the gas before I left. Can I start it without damaging the engine?
First of all, thanks for your service. Second, welcome back!

My scooter was down due to a blown engine for 5 years and I forgot to treat the gas in the tank with anything before letting it sit that long. What I ended up doing was draining the gas into a container then dumping it into my car. Figured what the heck, it didn't smell all that bad and mixed with the rest of the gas already in the car, it couldn't hurt (it didn't), car ran fine, though the exhaust smelled like a scooter for awhile, lol.

Anyway, as stitch said, drain the old gas, change the oil, and you should be good to go. Maybe check the sparkplug to see if it's gunked up or rusted out. Just to make sure there's oil where oil should be, pull the sparkplug cap off then crank it for a 10-20 seconds to get the new oil circulating before actually firing it up.

If you really want to be anal, you can pull the transmission cover off to check the drive belt to make sure it isn't dried up and cracked.

Oh, and check your brake disc(s) for rust and make sure the brake levers feel firm and not spongy.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: buddy 150

Post by jrsjr »

jvd1552 wrote:I have returned after being away for 2 years (service). Before I left, I had gas treated my Buddy 150. It has not been started for two years, but I did treat the gas before I left. Can I start it without damaging the engine?
I see that babblefish and others have already take care of answering your question so I just want to thank you for your service.

EDIT: I have some concern about your battery. I'm just assuming that you will be replacing the old battery with a new one. If you're trying to get by with your old battery, just remember the warning about jump starting a Buddy from a car. You can do it, but make darn sure the car is not running. You really can fry your Buddy's voltage regulator by jump starting off a car that's running. The regulator just can't handle that situation.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Be sure to drain the gas out of the carb bowl too. You don't want any of the gummy stuff that might be left in the carb clogging up the works when you try to start it.

I would remove the carb bowl and clean it up with some spray carb cleaner and a couple paper towels before I hit the start button for the first time.

With the tiny jets we have in our scoots, it doesn't take much to clog one up and ruin your day.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff