Has anyone used their state's lemon laws for a Stella Auto?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

o0dano0o

Has anyone used their state's lemon laws for a Stella Auto?

Post by o0dano0o »

I bought a Stella Auto last fall and it is getting to the point where it seems that the lemon law in Oregon would take effect.

It's been back to the shop for an electrical issue a number of times, and it is in the shop as I write this. It's now been there for over a month.

The dealer says that they have had problems with most, if not all, of the Stella Autos they sold. One owner actually just left their bike at the dealer and told them to keep it because they were so frustrated.

Anyways, this whole situation seems crazy. I was just wondering if anyone has worked through the lemon laws and gotten their money back?

Thanks.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

I know LML and Genuine did a recall for some computer parts. But it seems to me, lemon laws should apply. Sorry for your trouble, glad I got a shifty though! :/ It's a shame all the new autos have been plagued...
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

In Indiana, I don't think the Stella Auto (or any scooter or motorcycle) qualifies for the Lemon Law.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Oregon

Qualification: 4 unsuccessful repairs or 30 business days within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles. Notification/Trigger: Direct written notice + opportunity to repair to manufacturer.†State has certified guidelines for arbitration. Law specifically applies to leased vehicles.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

The Lemon Law does not apply to motorcycles in Louisiana.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

On the Oregon Department of Justice Consumer Protection website I found the following:

Lemon Law
motor vehicles
Oregon’s lemon law extends protection to 2 years or 24,000 miles from the purchase or lease of a new vehicle. If your vehicle is a lemon, you can receive a replacement or refund.

To use the lemon law:
  • A part or system under warranty must not be working, and it must be significant enough to substantially reduce the vehicle’s use, value, or safety.

Each malfunction must be reported to the manufacturer or dealer, who will have an opportunity to fix the problem.

At least three failed attempts to fix the problem must be made (at least one attempt if the problem is likely to cause injury or death), or the vehicle must be in the shop for 30 or more business days. You should participate in an informal dispute resolution procedure if the manufacturer uses one.
Note that Oregon does not have a 3-day right of rescission for vehicle purchases, which means that unless it is in your sales contract, you cannot return your vehicle without a legal reason.

If you have been sold a lemon contact a private attorney to discuss your options. The Oregon State Bar referral service can help you find an appropriate legal representative and can be reached at (503) 684-3763 or toll-free in Oregon at (800) 452-7636. Please visit www.osbar.org for more information.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The whole problem with the Stellauto was the CDI box. Once that was recalled/ replaced. The 3 people I know that have stellautos have been fine.

What issues are you having? It sounds like you may need another dealer?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?