No electrical power

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmer1234

No electrical power

Post by jmer1234 »

Does anybody know what the one Achilles heal the Stella has electrically is? I am having an issue where I turn on the key and get nothing. No lights, no horn, no spark. I have disconnected the kill switch. I have had some luck jiggling wires and connections around the CDI/battery and everything starts working suddenly, but it is not consistent. I have it in the shop right now and am waiting for a verdict from them, but am trying to look myself as well. I am not the best electrician, so the wiring diagram in the service manual is not helping me much. I see a cut out relay, but I don't see why a bad relay there would stop me from being able to kick start it.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

So off the back of the motor are the wires that come off of the stator. In that little plastic covering that's zip-tied together are the electrical plugs. Try making sure those are nice and tight.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

What about with the engine running?
Did you check your fuses?

FYI There won't be any headlight with the engine off, Only the 'Pilot' light is DC powered.

It sounds like a bad connection at the battery.
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

ArgonV wrote:So off the back of the motor are the wires that come off of the stator. In that little plastic covering that's zip-tied together are the electrical plugs. Try making sure those are nice and tight.
I know what you are talking about, and remember looking to see what those were a month or so back, when I started having issues with the scooter acting like it was getting starved of fuel 2 miles into a ride. I knew it wasn't a tank vacuum issue, because it did it if the cap was completely unscrewed. I was really starting to suspect an electrical issue at that time, but the shop determined that it was the carburetor and replaced it. That worked great for about 2 days. Right now it is back at the shop, so I can't check that connection.
JohnKiniston wrote:What about with the engine running?
Did you check your fuses?

FYI There won't be any headlight with the engine off, Only the 'Pilot' light is DC powered.

It sounds like a bad connection at the battery.
I did not check the fuses. I didn't think about them because it was hit and miss. The 'Pilot' light is what would come on when everything would start suddenly working. That and my horn suddenly, since the handle bar/horn button would be turned against the lifted seat as I jiggled things around.
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

Got an update from the shop. The engine was running a little lean after swapping the carbeurator a couple weeks ago when I was having mid-ride issues and was starting to suspect electrical problems. So they adjusted something (idle?) and swapped out the plug. They did not experience the absolute zero electrical power :? :evil:. They want me to test run it for a few miles. I have a sinking feeling in my gut.