CVT oil suggestions...

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chickdr

CVT oil suggestions...

Post by chickdr »

I recently did a 6k mile service on my ss220i and changed the engine oil and CVT oil. At first the bike seemed to run much smoother but then on one of my highway runs(where I run flat out for a good 5-10 miles) the bike acted very strange. It was not getting the speed it normally does and had some stumbling. I think I also saw some smoke. When I arrived at my destination I noticed oil on the back wheel/tire and a couple of drips from the rear of the transmission case.

I had replaced the CVT oil with full synthetic 75W/140 oil(as the manual said to use 140W oil). I asked my dealer about the issue and he said the following:

"Another fine example of why I don’t closely follow the service intervals and recommended fluids... I would suggest a 75-90 gear oil. Redline makes an amazing fluid, but really any 75-90 will work. The 140 is way too thick for practical use. The gear oil is usually stated as a gl-3 fluid, but gl-3 has been superseded by gl-4, and gl-5 as of several years ago. GL-5 is what you will likely find at any auto parts store, and is what we sell and use in our service department. As far as the engine oil, I would recommend any thing from a 5-30 to a 10-40. Synthetic is a cheap upgrade for either, but not necessary."

I will be switching to 75/90 Redline. I hope this helps others...
Last edited by chickdr on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

How much oil did you put in the gearbox? Reason I ask is because your description of the problem sounds like simptoms of an overfilled gearbox.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I put in as much as specified in the manual(110ml). I guess it could be too much?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Well, thats the correct amount. Not sure where the oil on the rear tire is coming from then. 140wt oil does seem kinda thick though. Can't remember what I used.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

After you asked I figured it would be worth it to check the amount since it is so easily changed. I used a graduated cylinder this time. The amount which came out? 150ml!!! Way overfilled. Thanks so much for your suggestion. I hope nothing was damaged in the 100 or so miles I have driven it overfilled... The manual does say SAE 85/140. I am using 75/140 and will change to 75/90 when I get it.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

There shouldn't be any damage. The excess oil usually just blows out through the vent hole (on to your tire).
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Exactly what my mechanic said. Thanks...