Help Needed Please....

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drum Pro

Help Needed Please....

Post by Drum Pro »

O.k. so My Stella seems to be stuck in 1st gear and the gear knob is going through all the gears when twisted but they are not engaging but the clutch is. Is it the gear box selector or is it and inner gear cable or what? Can anyone help me?
Last edited by Drum Pro on Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
az_slynch

Re: Help Needed Please....

Post by az_slynch »

Drum Pro wrote:O.k. so My Stella seems to be stuck in 1st gear and the gear knob is going through all the gears when twisted but not they are not engaging but the clutch is. Is it the gear box selector or is it and inner gear cable or what? Can anyone help me?
At first read, it sounds like a broken or maladjusted upshift cable. You may need to remove the top of the headset (4 Phillips screws) or your shift box cover (one screw, and it's located aft of the kickstart, below the fan cover. See the following link for a picture of the shift box with the cover removed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scootphilly/6005581304
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Thanks AZ! I took the gear box cover off and sure enough a snapped cable. Are the cables the same as the clutch cable? Stupid question I know but I'm not that mechanically inclined, although I want to learn....
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Clutch cables are similar in cable diameter, but the barrel end that goes in the headset is a larger diameter for clutch cables. You could file the barrel diameter down in a pinch, but for longevity, I'd recommend getting the proper cable.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Update!: I got the correct cable and I fixed it myself. Feels good when you D.I.Y. Not to mention the money saved by not taking it in to the shop....
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

This happened to me. I was able to jigger the gearbox into third gear, triple-clutch to start off from a stoplight, and make it in for a repair (new inner).
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!