New Member, Couple Questions

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

phunksoulbrotha

New Member, Couple Questions

Post by phunksoulbrotha »

Hey everyone! Just picked up my first scoot, a 2012 Stella 4T with only 700 miles on it and I am having so much fun. Spent a year in Bali and after seeing all the Vespas running around I had to find something similar once I got back.
A few more cosmetic mods to take care of and then I can start tinkering with the engine.

MODS:
De-badged
Switched the turn signal bulbs for LED's, brake light LED's are on the way. Trimmed up a bit of that unsightly black plastic rear fender.
Turned the horn noise off.
Added Prima rack up front
Ditched the bubble mirrors that came on it for a sleek little side mirror that mounts to the Prima rack.

After many searches I'm still coming up empty on a couple things so here goes:

First is the seat is not only incredibly uncomfortable (way to soft) but clearly the most out of place piece on the bike. I realize that the fuel tank and evap system are raised in comparison to a 2T or most Vespas (the Rally being the exception) and so most seats will have to be modified at the very least. I'm looking for an Ancillotti or Cafe Racer style seat that I can get on the 4T, but, I've already seen the ones that SIP and Scooterwest have and am not a fan as they still aren't very flush with the middle body section. I did happen to stumble across the seats from The Scooter Republic in the UK and the ones from Streamline Seats in Germany and they are exactly what I'm looking for but after a couple e-mails with questions regarding fitment and no answers after a week, I'm thinking they probably aren't going to get back to me. So, any other alternatives I haven't seen? I'm pretty close to just trying to make my own or have one done custom, just not sure where to source a pan and foam.

Secondly; I'd like to install an airhorn on her, preferably somewhere it isn't really seen and without running tons of wiring or tubing. The Nautilus Stebel seems to be the one most people recommend. Ive only seen 2 installs and one was split with the air canister in the glove box and the bellows under the floor board and the other I believe was slotrod's where it was mounted under the left cowl where the spare goes. Just wondering if there are any other options people have been using? Trying to keep the spare where it is as the style of seat I want probably isn't going to cater to a rear rack.

Any ideas or links to existing threads I missed are greatly appreciated.
Last edited by phunksoulbrotha on Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Hi there, not sure about the horn, but there's plenty of info on the seat situation if you search the UK LML Owners FB page.
phunksoulbrotha

Thanks for the heads up on the UK group. Going to search there and if I still don't find anything, will begin looking into getting a custom seat made.

About the horn.... I was reading through a thread last night that discussed removal of the airbox.....topic28919.html.

I am going to eventually throw on a performance carb and pipe combo and I'm wondering if ditching the airbox just might free up enough room to mount the Stebel where the airbox once was. From the one picture provided, it looks like it just might fit.

As always, any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Last edited by phunksoulbrotha on Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
phunksoulbrotha

Thanks again for the heads up on the lmlocgb.com site Norm. They had the answers I was searching for regarding the seat and I think I should be able to get the Stebel in after removing the airbox later this Fall/Winter.

I got the seat I ordered yesterday and still need to do a little fitting work but it should be exactly what I was after. Does anyone know if the rear seat catch on a 4t is like the rest of the tank bolts and has a nut welded to the frame underneath? I can't for the life of me see it from underneath because there's a little cross brace in the fender hiding it. In addition, what are the 2 small bolts on either side of the seat catch for? Welded nuts there?

Hoping to get some photos up as soon as I get the seat fitted. Thanks for any help.