Belt Replacement Question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lefthandedrighty

Belt Replacement Question

Post by lefthandedrighty »

im doing some repairs on a friends scoot

its a 'Lance Vintage 150' or something like that

anyway, the belt he ordered was, not surprisingly, the wrong size belt

i had an extra one for my buddy that seemed to fit fine

a couple questions: what are some signs that would tell me this is the wrong size belt and will not work?

does a new belt ever release a slight burning rubber odor when first installed?

after i installed it, i ran it with the cover off and it seemed to work fine, and the scooter drove alright, for a lance with low air pressure in the tires

there was a little bit of bouncing of the belt under the cover, but it didnt seem extreme

im a bit nervous to give it back to him if it is the wrong size belt and it shreds on him or something
—————————————————————
2009 Buddy 125
1980 Yamaha XS1100 Rigid Bobber
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I'm not sure that eyeballing it is the way to go.

Does your friend still have the original belt? The specs would be printed on it. Otherwise you could contact a Lance dealer for info.

Also, Scrappydogscooters.com sells parts for many Chinese scooters and may be a possible resource.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

A new belt should not release any sort of burning rubber odor unless there was grease on one of the pulleys causing lots of belt slip. Definitely don't let your friend ride around with the wrong belt or really bad things could happen, like a broken, jammed belt causing rear wheel lockup.

If you don't still have the original belt, or it is not labeled / readable, there are typically only a few belt sizes for 150cc GY6 powered scooters. To figure out what size belt you need, count how many bolts hold the CVT cover on the Lance.

A short case GY6 150 (8 bolts like the Buddy) should take a 743-20-30 belt.

A long case GY6 (10 bolts) should take a 835-20-30 or 842-20-30 belt. Since it is slightly longer, the 842-20-30 belt will allow the belt to ride higher on the variator, which can allow a bit more top speed when running a performance variator with a larger diameter.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

have the owner of said scoot contact a reliable Lance dealer (or an independent shop with Lance experience) and order an OEM replacement belt...and if they f**k up and order the wrong belt then they eat the cost of the wrong one and order the correct one at their cost! let them tangle with the distributor if it was a logistical mistake...
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Lance uses GY6 engines in all of their scooters. I'm pretty sure the Vintage 150 used the 157QMJ. You can generally find the engine model number stamped near the bottom of the engine under the front of the CVT cover. Just count the number of bolts and order a decent belt like a Gates or Bando and you will be fine.

When it comes to GY6 parts, there is no real advantage to ordering "OEM" parts. Manufacturers use what is available. If they can't get a belt from their default supplier, they order from someone else.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
lefthandedrighty

Post by lefthandedrighty »

thanks everyone, some helpful info

its swell being part of a knowledgeable board

the original belt shredded in the cvt case, so its no longer an option to read it

hes lucky that his rear wheel didnt lock up on him the first time, but i defenetly dont want to be the one who causes him to not be so lucky the 2nd time
—————————————————————
2009 Buddy 125
1980 Yamaha XS1100 Rigid Bobber
Greyscoot

Post by Greyscoot »

The Lance Vintage 150 is a Joker clone. In 2009, Lance became involved with Sym and the name of the scooter was changed to Lance Cali Classic. I think if you contact a Lance dealer and ask what the belt part number is for a Cali Classic 150, you will have right one.