Buddy 50 won't kick over - carb clean or spark plug?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ChiPen

Buddy 50 won't kick over - carb clean or spark plug?

Post by ChiPen »

Hi all.

Buddy has always kicked over (no electric start) on the first or second kick but dies on the idle for the first few minutes. The last time it took several kicks and an open throttle with continuous gas to keep it running, but it never dies on the road. Today it didn't kick over at all (but the crank spins and it does make that little rumble like it wants to turn over) after a bunch of kicks and probably flooding the engine, so I gave up.

I'm debating pulling the carb and cleaning it, but may try the spark plug first (but would like to know if it's obviously one or the other, given this information). It hasn't had a clean or replacement of either in at least two years. I Seafoam with every fill up and the oil is always topped. There's at least .20 tank of gas in there and yes, the kill switch is in the right position.

Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

How many miles does your Buddy have on it?
Did you try adjusting the idle screw?
The idle jet? If this is set too lean it could cause the problem described.
By all means, check the sparkplug to see if its all gummed up.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ChiPen

Post by ChiPen »

babblefish wrote:How many miles does your Buddy have on it?
Did you try adjusting the idle screw?
The idle jet? If this is set too lean it could cause the problem described.
By all means, check the sparkplug to see if its all gummed up.

No but the idle is fine when it runs for a bit.

The only problems it's ever had, was a slow then dying idle immediately after turning over (but never slows or dies after it rides for a few minutes) and a battery which was replaced a few months ago.

I don't know what it would sound like if it wasn't getting spark vs. when it is. It makes that low rumble in the engine but not for more than a second and only when it's being kicked.
You haven't lived until you've been on Lake Shore Drive on a 50cc Buddy.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'd check the idle jet adjustment. Not sure what the stock setting is for a 50cc though. A lean setting would make it hard to start when cold. Low compression would also cause hard starting, but your engine doesn't have a lot of mileage on it. A loose sparkplug or loose head fasteners could cause a low compression situation.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

A 2009 model year with 2,100 miles on it must be sitting a lot, which is hell on 2 strokes, even with stabilized fuel.

I would change the spark plug and give the carb a complete cleaning as a matter of regular maintenance. When you pull the plug out, make sure that you are getting a good spark to rule out a coil problem.

If that doesn't do the trick, I would look at the enricher (automatic choke) as the next most likely culprit.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff