Ignition issues

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rune

Ignition issues

Post by Rune »

I just purchased a 2014 Stella Auto from a couple and there are some issues. The one that I'm working on first is getting it to run.

The battery is charged and the starter cranks, but it never actually starts. And, with the cowls off, I swear I hear arcing when I hit the start button. Ideas? Maybe a service manual?
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

Make sure you are getting Air/Spark/Fuel and go from there.
Rune

Post by Rune »

Checked the air filter... Looks ok. Will check the spark against the head, look for fouling, and proper gap when I get home.

Now the question is fuel... Will I have to take the carb out to get to the drain plug when draining fuel? Also, what model of fuel filter are the two in the Auto? Would be awesome to just pick up a couple since it's about time to replace them anyway.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

How long has it sat? I had went on vacation for 4 days and the Stella on the showroom floor wouldn't start when I returned.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

The coating inside of the fuel tank has a tendency to come off and wreak havoc on the fuel system. Fun.
Rune

Post by Rune »

It would start Monday and on Tuesday morning, it wouldn't start
Rune

Post by Rune »

Ok, I'm freaking out a bit. I KNEW I heard arcing from the engine compartment and I have video of it when I hit the ignition button.

Ok, at the top front of the frame where the seat bolts, just under that is the HT Coil and attached to the bottom side of that, there's a 3 inch long black plastic tube that has a thick wire coming out of it that is severed. Where is that wire supposed to attach?

EDIT: Found out that's the spark plug wire... Got it patched up!
Attachments
download_20150827_185703.jpg
download_20150827_185703.jpg (160.83 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Last edited by Rune on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rune

Post by Rune »

That's the dang plug wire... I screwed the end of the wire into plug cap and Stella purred to life again.

Does anyone know the part number for the plug wire setup? I want to replace it soon. =)
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

I've never done on an Auto it but you should be able to unscrew the wire from the coil (the black box) and bring it to an auto parts store for a higher quality replacement.
Rune

Post by Rune »

Perfect... First sign of an issue and I shall... Thanks for the tip!