Damaged after shipping scooter? Backlight is not on.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Edwub

Damaged after shipping scooter? Backlight is not on.

Post by Edwub »

I just moved from sunny Los Angeles up to near San Francisco. My company shipped all my belongings, full pack/ship/store/unpack service. I had drained the gas tank on Blitzen, and removed the battery prior to shipping/storage (along with some electrical tape on the battery wires). He was in a crate for about a month!

I finally get him back, I charge my battery on a tender, add fresh gas, and sputter around the block a few times. As night falls, I notice this (image attached).

Anyone have any advice?

My scooter was last serviced in June. I was having electrical problems earlier in the year, and in June I had the voltage regulator replaced, as well as put in a new battery. This seemed to completely solve everything, and so I don't think this is specifically related to any issue on the scooter side. Up til the end of July, it was fine.

Either it just happened (bad luck, fluke)...or...could this somehow be damage from the move? A connection or something shook loose?

We had three different teams with the move. (One team packed in LA, one team crated and shipped it to a storage facility, and another team "unpacked" it at our place). I know at least one of them were pretty rough with our stuff.

They broke our entertainment center and quite a lot of glasses and plates. They preemptively sent me a claim form to fill out, where I estimate the damage and replacement cost. They're planning to send someone over to inspect some of our bigger items (entertainment center) to determine whether they'll pay for full replacement, or just X amount of money as damages. No idea how they'll handle the scooter, if I list it.

When they unpacked the crate, I did sign off that it looked ok (in terms of physical damage). Obviously couldn't have noticed this backlight until after I had it all powered up (and in the dark). If I do list my scooter as part of the damaged claims form, I have no idea what to write for cost. Should I leave it open ended to see if they'll cover it, then take it to a local shop for a quote? Or is it something silly and a simple fix I can do?

Anyone have any idea on what this might cost, or what I should list for it? Or is it unrelated to the move and I should just deal with it?

Thanks in advance.

(image attached)
Attachments
No one knows how fast you go in the dark...
No one knows how fast you go in the dark...
YH9WEM8.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 639 times
george54

Post by george54 »

Of course something could have jarred loose. Follow the wires backwards from the speedometer and check any connections. I think you can see some of those wires from the front if you take the front panel off.

Check the fuses.

Also double check in the battery area. Sometimes there's a fused red wire added to the positive terminal. I'm not saying that's for the speedo, but look anyway.

I believe your best bet is a connector right in front or just under the speedometer.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Sometimes it helps to picture these things before you troubleshoot. Since all the lights in the headset are out simultaneously, it would make sense if they were powered through a common connector. As you can see below, that is definitely the case here. My guess is, all you need to do is plug that connector back in.

EDIT: I see now that you actually have a Blur, not a Buddy. I tried pulling up the same documentation for the Blur and it was supremely unhelpful. I am guessing that the Blur's headset wiring is very similar, ie has a single connector that juices the headset display.
Attachments
Buddy Headset Connector.JPG
Buddy Headset Connector.JPG (40.18 KiB) Viewed 610 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

My thread in the technical library on how to install a digital instrument cluster in an early Blur might be of some help. It shows all of the electrical connections. One may have jarred loose during the move.
www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic6613.html
Last edited by babblefish on Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

You guys are the best, thanks!

The picture guide really helps, Babblefish! (BTW, you forgot the "." before the html in your link, it actually goes to a different thread when clicked)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Edwub wrote:You guys are the best, thanks!

The picture guide really helps, Babblefish! (BTW, you forgot the "." before the html in your link, it actually goes to a different thread when clicked)
Fixed, thanks.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.