Oil leaking from spark plug

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tbswope

Oil leaking from spark plug

Post by tbswope »

I noticed a small amount of oil on my rear brake line and traced it to my spark plug. The plug was snug but not overly tight and I checked it this spring and it looked great. Now, not so much. I adjusted my idle this summer as my scooter would die a short time after I started it to warm up but otherwise haven't noticed any other issues. What is everyone's suggestions, besides replace plug, I don't want to foul another one so quickly.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

There may be some damage to the metal gasket on the plug or possibly some debris in between the gasket and mounting area. Try cleaning the plug threads and gasket with some carb cleaner, reinstall and cross your fingers.
If that doesn't work I personally would just replace the plug.
Almost forgot to mention the mounting hole, clean that area too with a lint less rag.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
tbswope

Post by tbswope »

Thanks for the reply, I replaced the plug and am keeping an eye on it. As for oil leaking out should I have concern that there is enough oil in my piston that it is leaking out or is that pretty much how the 2 stroke is?
roughrider2015

Post by roughrider2015 »

my .02
I would remove the pipe from the engine and let it drain...chances are pretty good that the bottom of the pipe has a pretty good accumulation of oil in it.
SlickRick

Post by SlickRick »

Probably isn't coming from your spark plug. Most of the time people spill there 2 stroke oil. It runs down the front of the tank and lands on the spark plug/ cylinder cover then onto the exhaust pipe and over time works its way towards the rear of the bike. While I've pulled out some plugs with gaskets leaking... There will never be enough oil leaking to run all the way back to the brake line.