Roughhouse battery won't stay charged

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DeeDee

Roughhouse battery won't stay charged

Post by DeeDee »

I have a low mileage (240 miles) 2013. The battery completely drains after about 100 miles. It appears the charging system isn't re-charging the battery. Can someone who knows more about this than me please point me in a direction? Thank you.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I had a new Ruckus like that once. Pulled the battery, tested it, and had to replace it as it would not hold a recharge on the trickler.

I'd pull it and take it to an Autozone or similar to see if it's the battery first.

If not, is your scoot under warranty?
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I hook the volt meter up to the battery on a fully charged new battery, it shows 12.5 volts. I start the scooter and it does not increase. Can the mechanics on this site point me in a direction please? Thank you.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Post the question over in the General Discussion section and you will get more responses as more ''mechanics'' post there.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Have the battery checked anyway. THAT is the weak link, if it tests fine, I would look to a bad voltage regulator.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

viney266 wrote:Have the battery checked anyway. THAT is the weak link, if it tests fine, I would look to a bad voltage regulator.

What I said...probably just need a new battery. Start there.

If they sit for a long time uncharged they can lose their capacity to hold a charge.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Thank you viney266. Any chance you know where the voltage regulator is on a R50? I pulled the front outer legshield, not there.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

DC voltage is 12.5 at the battery running or not. AC voltage going into the regulator is a little above 6. DC coming out of the regulator is 12.5 at idle or revving. Battery is new and fully charged. Is this clearly the stator? Those who know, please chime in.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I assume you've already checked that the fuse (10A, I believe) is good...
At any rpm over about 1500, the voltage at the battery should be above 13 volts. If it is not, then either the voltage regulator or the stator is defective. In your case, I would guess that it is your stator because you said you measured only 6 volts going into the regulator. It needs to be much higher than that since the voltage regulator's job is to make sure the electrical system's voltage doesn't get too high, not boost the voltage if it's too low.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The good news is Dragonparts out of Taiwan carries a direct fit stator for the R50 that is only $42.00 shipped. This is at least half of the next lowest price I could find. The bad news for me is that it ended up being the $10 regulator. I installed the new stator, and no change. Ordered and replaced the regulator, and I'm up to 15V when revved. All from the comfort of my couch thanks to Ebay.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Sorry if I mislead you into paying for a new stator, but at least you got your problem solved. :oops:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I thought it was the Stator for sure. At least I found one for a good price. I learned quite a bit while doing this. Still much cheaper than calling Rolling Wrench. :D
SlickRick

Post by SlickRick »

Wish I could have got to you sooner. It's alwayse the reggy
SlickRick

Post by SlickRick »

Wish I could have got to you sooner. It's alwayse the reggy