2010 Blur, what is transmission type?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

redtank

2010 Blur, what is transmission type?

Post by redtank »

Hello,
Just bought a very little used Blur 220i. I'm trying to find out if the transmission (variator, clutch, etc.) is defined as a GY6 type and if so, does it share common parts with other scoots titled as GY6? Have manual, but 220i engine and tranny are in their own separate section from smaller bike components.
I'm wanting quicker and firmer clutch engagement when taking off from a dead stop, seems like engine is revving up pretty good to get moving, my old Honda CH250 pulled away from stop much quicker. One great point about Blur: It's not effected by strong winds like my old Honda or '05 Stella, both would switch lanes in crosswinds :shock:

Thanks,
Cris
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you have not read Babblefish's excellent (and long) post about rebuilding his Blur, I recommend that you do. There is quite a bit of discussion and photos about how he rebuilt the transmission of his bike.

topic16629.html
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I don't have any experience with the 220i engine, but I'm almost certain that it is a version of the GY6-B engine (sometimes known as a GY6-200) which should use the same transmission parts as a standard GY6. The main difference between it and a standard GY6 is the cylinder stud spacing. The GY6-B studs are further apart allowing bigger bore sizes. The variator may use larger rollers and belt though. If you have a way of measuring the diameter of the variator and clutch bell, I can probably tell you if it's standard stuff or not.
When my current 180 engine wears out, I'll consider building a 239cc GY6-B engine to replace it.

To answer your question about a more positive clutch lock-up, the so called racing clutches with larger friction pads do lock-up harder and faster, at least mine does. But, being a "racing" clutch, they usually have heavier springs to allow the engine to rev higher before engagement begins. Mine allowed the engine to rev to around 7k before engaging. A bit much for city riding so I changed to 1500 rpm springs instead of the 2000 rpm that it came with. If you do that though, you're going to sacrifice some low speed smoothness with such a set up. There will be situations where the drivetrain will stutter as the clutch grabs and lets go due to the lower engagement rpms.

Dooglas: thanks for the kind words - that I'm basically long winded, lol :)
Last edited by babblefish on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

babblefish wrote:Douglas: thanks for the kind words - that I'm basically long winded, lol :)
Hey, you had a lot to say (and did a great job of illustrating it)!
redtank

220i

Post by redtank »

Thanks for the replies! When the day comes to pull the tranny apart, I'll get good measurements. The bike runs good, I have nothing to complain about, it's just the high engine rpm needed to take off that gets to me.

I did read the engine rebuild, nice work. I was doing Honda singles, both OHC and pushrod plus two strokes like the Yamaha enduro series back in the early 70's with good results. I later got into big British Triumphs and BSA's even worked for the local BSA shop back in 1976.

One last question, is the Blur's suspension adjustable, on rough pavement, it's like riding a jackhammer :shock:

Later,
Cris
redtank

Engine size?

Post by redtank »

So I was down at our local scooter shop this past Saturday to pick up my new scoot's paperwork, and was eyeballing the Hooligan 170i. Frame/body is same size as my Blur 220i, but why did Genuine go with a 170 and not stick with the 220? There is no substitute for cubic inches as the saying goes, most folks wanting a bigger engine when doing a rebuild...the quest for power spans hundreds of generations. Seems to me a bigger factory engine in a midsize frame makes for a fast nimble machine.

Cris
babblefish

Re: 220i

Post by babblefish »

redtank wrote:Thanks for the replies! When the day comes to pull the tranny apart, I'll get good measurements. The bike runs good, I have nothing to complain about, it's just the high engine rpm needed to take off that gets to me.

I did read the engine rebuild, nice work. I was doing Honda singles, both OHC and pushrod plus two strokes like the Yamaha enduro series back in the early 70's with good results. I later got into big British Triumphs and BSA's even worked for the local BSA shop back in 1976.

One last question, is the Blur's suspension adjustable, on rough pavement, it's like riding a jackhammer :shock:

Later,
Cris
is this the first bike you've ridden with a CVT? The reason I ask is because it is normal behavior for a engine with a CV transmission to rev high on take off. You can change the response of the transmission by playing around with roller weights, clutch spring and counter spring tensions, but if you tune it in such a way where the variator tries to go to a higher ratio as soon as possible and the clutch to engage/lockup as soon as possible in order to reduce engine RPMs, you also risk bogging the engine down at take-off and slow speeds. The efficiency and performance of the scooter may be reduced. So unless you plan on spending the majority of your riding on Freeways, I'd be careful how you tune the CVT.
babblefish

Re: 220i

Post by babblefish »

redtank wrote:One last question, is the Blur's suspension adjustable, on rough pavement, it's like riding a jackhammer :shock:

Later,
Cris
The Blur is known for it's good handling and is considered a "sport" scooter so it's going to have sportbike like suspension tuning vs cruiser tuning. The suspension is factory set and not adjustable. That being said, I find the suspension on my own Blur a bit too soft so I modified the forks for more pre-load making them stiffer, which IMO, makes for better handling. There are replacement rear suspension shocks available that are adjustable for pre-load and dampening. My plan is to replace my rear shock with one of these soon in order to firm up my rear. Take that any way you like...lol. Read Meeners thread here on the Blur forum about what he's done with his suspension.