Harder to Start in Cold Weather

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

smillerlou

Harder to Start in Cold Weather

Post by smillerlou »

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to see what you guys think might be a good way to get my scooter to start easier in cooler temperatures. The first 1-2 seasons I had my 2012 Stella 4T, it would start right up with the electric starter or kick start, no matter how cold it was. Starting this past spring I've been having some issues getting it started if the temperature was below like 60. I have to kick start it probably 10-15 times (with the choke out) before it starts to run and then I let it sit to warm up. It used to start right up in below freezing temperatures no problem so I was wondering what you all thought I might want to check.

Thanks in advance for any info
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Check the choke cable. Clean the spark plug and give it a tiny bit of gas when you kickstart after the 2nd try. I've noticed the same thing with my 2013.
smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

thanks I'll give that a try!
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Yes, when the four strokes first came out in 2010, the choke cable was not adjusted properly. There is a video on how to set up the four strokes, and the first thing they address is tightening up the choke cable so it would actually choke the carburetor where is the way it is set up it was not doing that. Now that might have carried on to the 2012 and later models. It is pretty easy to tighten up the cable you can do with one screwdriver. Just loosen this Clamp and turn the choke manually all the way over, pull your choke cable out and adjust the outer housing to match. Tighten it down then release the choke knob and watch the choke go back to open.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics