Revisiting the rainbow winged unicorn: reviewing the 4t 200

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gburbank

Revisiting the rainbow winged unicorn: reviewing the 4t 200

Post by gburbank »

I eventually got tired of waiting for Genuine to get off their duff and bring in the 4t200 so last winter I ordered two 4t200 engines from England. The first was to go into my sidecar tug, the second into a 4t150 with a body kit this coming winter. I had all my ducks in a row about two weeks before Amerivespa and my pal talked me into waiting until after the rally so I wouldn't be breaking in an untested engine during the event. The week following the rally, on a 200 mile ride, I had a timing chain idler sprocket bearing failure on the stella destined for the body kit so the plans changed overnight. Sunday morning we pulled the 150 and dropped in the 4t200. The swap required a longer clutch cable and a 4t200 engine adapter (replaces the 150 swingarm bracket) and removal of the charcoal canister/evap system.I had read on several postings on the LMLCOGB website regarding fuel starvation issues so I ran an 1/8" hose off the old evap pipe down to above the mudguard and put a tiny filter on it so the tank could breathe easily. Simple two hour job (with help) for someone who had never done this before, and most of that time was adjusting the gear selecter and clutch.
Sooo, first impressions: despite a complete redesign of the engine, many of the 150 4t parts are compatible. The obvious maintainance parts such as oil filter, gasket, oil screen etc are interchangeable with the 150. The oil filter has been moved around to the right side for easy access, so there is no more pulling off the rear wheel to change the oil. The balance feels better on the scooter, with a little added weight low down improving the handling. The clutch biting point is rather far out on the throw of the lever, I may add an adjustable lever to bring it in. It isn't a problem for me, just took some getting used to.
The engine ran quite hot during the initial break-in period, and sucked a lot of gas. An early oil change turned up an alarming amount of metal, but other people have reported the same from the 150 4t, so I changed the filter and oil, cleaned the screen, flushed the engine with a bottle of cheap oil, then replaced it with good synthetic and crossed my fingers. A few more filings showed up in the screen at 500 miles, but nothing dramatic, so I figured all is well and took it out for some real riding to see what it's real potential was. The early torque of this engine was tantalizing, but I had taken my medicine on breaking in engines properly, and I didn't push this one until now.
I have now run a couple long runs, 300 miles and 180 miles, plus short blasts around town, and the results are in: faster than a p200 by about 5mph, lots of low rpm torque on hills, and a novel experience being able to accelerate uphill and continue to accelerate in fourth going uphill. 4t 150 fourth gear was always like using "overdrive", it lowered your rpms but took you nowhere quickly. 4th on the 200 4t takes you to 65 fast, and creeps to seventy (indicated, lets be realistic) eventually. So far, I am running this engine stock. Simple mods, such as removing the Secondary Air System (SAS) and changing air filter, jetting, and pipe, will come at the end of the summer. As a stock engine, I am getting 81 to 84 miles per gallon on long runs. this scooter really needs a larger fuel tank, but there really is no good space to do so. I'll end up adding a tour tank for sure. As the carb sits higher on the engine, nearly level with the bottom of the fuel tank, when you hit the reserve it sometimes breaks the siphon enough that after switching to reserve the reserve won't flow, so I now carry spare fuel bottles. I also re-routed the fuel line away from the SAS system as I had some early sputtering from the fuel getting too hot in the line and evaporating in the line.
The total cost of bringing the engine over averaged $1800, with shipping. The engine adapter and clutch cable with shipping added another $150. I will drop the other engine into the sidecar tug at the end of the season, as it is badly in need of the extra torque that the 200 supplies. Although Genuine holds little interest in bringing this 4t200 to the US, it really is the scooter they should have sold since it's introduction. It takes the adequate 4t150 and makes it a great ride.
stella 4t 200 cc engine, tasso pipe and timing slider, ram-air filter and sidecar
stella auto, bone stock
stella 4t 200cc with readspeed CDI, unmodified stock engine
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Great read! I Thought Genuine would bring them eventually but now I'm not so sure. I think the sales of the Stella weren't that great so it makes sense to them but it sucks for us. As soon as they introduced the auto I knew it was over for a manual so I bought the 150 4t. I don't think a 125cc auto would handle the speed of Ca. roads. At nearly $2000 for the engine and bracket + the shipping most would be put off at an import.
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

yeah, it is a costly jump for more power. New crate engines for p200's cost a little more than that without shipping, so it isn't out of line for what is available. As genuine really needs a larger engine flagship model, and they do the modern vintage look, an obvious choice for them would be the Scomadi 300cc scooters. If they believe that shifties won't sell in america, (despite all those motorcycle sales) they should understand that horsepower does, and more cc's always bring the power.
I am personally under the impression that when the 150 4t was introduced, it was the wrong model for the american market. If genuine had chosen the 200 4t, lots of 2t stella owners would have purchaced them as an upgrade instead of viewing the 4stroke 150 as a watered down stella as they are generally looked upon now. With the 4t 200 stella out running and out climbing a p200 with a recently rebuilt engine, and having a reputation overseas of being a VERY reliable engine, it should have revived flagging stella sales. At the same time that the 4t 200 was introduced in europe, the 150 4t was rolled out here, and most people who were on the fence waited for the 200 to arrive. Every 2t stella rider who has ridden this 4t 200 has told me they would buy it in an instant if genuine brought it here. However, I understand that is preaching to the choir as these are all guys and gals who are already riding shifties. At 55 mph, the engine purrs along with no strain, and it is so smooth there is none of the 2t vibration. If I had any complaints about it other than the small gas tank it would be that the stock muffler is almost TOO quiet for me.
As this 4t 200 has become the best selling model from LML in europe, there are lots of new products and performance goodies hitting the market, including big bore kits to 221 cc, carbon clutches, aftermarket exhausts, racing carbs, larger primary gears, variable CDI units, and many other toys for people to add on. Given that replacement parts are weeks away at best for me at this point, I'll keep the mods down to the minimum to preserve the reliability.
To date, I've lent it out to 8 other riders, primarily in the middle of long rides after I've assessed their riding ability. Every one of them reluctantly got off, smiling from ear to ear.
stella 4t 200 cc engine, tasso pipe and timing slider, ram-air filter and sidecar
stella auto, bone stock
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Sounds like a nice upgrade. Is there any way to get them from Canada? A little easier?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

There might be the germ of a business idea at the core of this great thread.

Thanks for posting! I'd love to ride that scoot myself.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

gburbank wrote:...an obvious choice for them would be the Scomadi 300cc scooters.
The long awaited Scomadi 300 has now been downsized to a Scomadi 200 since they have been unable to obtain the Piaggio 300 engine.
Last edited by Dooglas on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

the 200 4t is available in mexico, at a very reasonable price, there is a dealer in mexico city but how you get an order filled is your gamble. Might be worth a drive down one day, though. I'm sure you can find a dealer willing to sell you one if they are imported into canada, but I've not seen or heard a peep about it.
stella auto, bone stock
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Dooglas wrote:
gburbank wrote:...an obvious choice for them would be the Scomadi 300cc scooters.
The long awaited Scomadi 300 has now been downsized to a Scomadi 200 since they have been unable to obtain the Piaggio 300 engine.
this is the worst news I've heard in a while. :(
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I don't think the US was ever going to get the Scomadi anyway...
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Drum Pro wrote:I don't think the US was ever going to get the Scomadi anyway...
I know, but the idea that a 300 with that body was out there...somewhere...was just plain awesome.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I'm not deny'n that a 300cc lammy wouldn't be the Shiz. I just wish the US would wake up and scooters be common place. Must be 2 many soccer moms...
Dutch65

engine swaps

Post by Dutch65 »

I saw in England a fellow swapped a 2 stroke 125 from Husquavana into his p200, an immediate jump in horsepower. Is it feasible to do in the US, knowing it would never pass an emissions test?
jimmbomb

Re: engine swaps

Post by jimmbomb »

Dutch65 wrote:I saw in England a fellow swapped a 2 stroke 125 from Husquavana into his p200, an immediate jump in horsepower. Is it feasible to do in the US, knowing it would never pass an emissions test?
Dutch.... care to donate your Blur 220?? I'd like to fab that motor and drivetrain into a Stella!!
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics