Cowl Protector Install Help!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmp111181

Cowl Protector Install Help!

Post by jmp111181 »

Trying to install Scooterworks cowl protectors on my Stellauto.http://www.scooterworks.com/cowl-protec ... i1H5K6rRBw, these guys.

So, the instructions on the site are horriblely difficult to read. Just looking at Step 1, do I need to drill a hole in the floorboards to start? There's no existing hole to put the screws into. Bought these a while ago because I read there was no drilling required. Really didn't want to drill. And it's been a while since I bought them so I certainly can't return.

Anybody here use these before? Could use some help.

Thanks!!
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

I wouldn't recommend using them on an Auto. The ones I've had experience with don't fit right and are a total pain.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Show us a picture of your floorboards?
Im not familiar with the Stella Auto center-stand set up.
Is there 2 bolts on either side of the center hump that hold the kickstand on from under the scooter??

Also, link us to the install instructions on their site..
The link you posted went to the product itself, then there was a link to
"Download Product Manual ↓ (0.6mb) "
nothing about the install on a StellAuto,
as the photo on that PDF is of Cowl Protecs on a 2 stroke shiftie Vespa or Stella
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jimmbomb wrote:Show us a picture of your floorboards?
Is there 2 bolts on either side of the center hump that hold the kickstand on from under the scooter??

as the photo on that PDF is of Cowl Protecs on a 2 stroke shiftie Vespa or Stella
The center stand on a Stellauto is a lot farther back than on a manual Stellas. It effectively mounts aft of the floorboards. I took picture of a Stellauto hack yesterday, I'll upload them in a bit for reference.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

az_slynch wrote:
jimmbomb wrote:Show us a picture of your floorboards?

The center stand on a Stellauto is a lot farther back than on a manual Stellas. It effectively mounts aft of the floorboards. I took picture of a Stellauto hack yesterday, I'll upload them in a bit for reference.
Im wondering if you can reverse the direction of those 2 mounting brackets to the floorboards??
make them point towards the rear, and if any drilling to be done, just new holes in the brackets to match up with the kickstand bolts??
I cant say as I dont have it all here in front of me... But Im sure it can be done..
Drilling holes in a Stella is not the end of the world..
Lets say that you stripped down your entire Stella and counted up all the holes in the frame and fenders etc done by the factory.
Probably a hella lot!!!
So, whats wrong with just 2 more??
Are you worried about re-sale value on a Stella with say 58 holes in the frame verses 56?
Who cares..
I say once the cowl protectors are ON and looking puss, then the 2 drilled holes are covered and look Cal Custom.
It's YOUR bike.. You paid for it.. Do what YOU want to with it!
When you walk down a row of scooters at a poker run or rally, you'll stop to gawk at the only 1 Auto with cowl protectors!!!!
Worth the trouble! hell yes!
IMHO
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
jmp111181

Post by jmp111181 »

Well, I'm in a pickle here. Avescoots1134, that's a bummer to hear. I'd read online before I bought these that they fit well on the auto and required no drilling. Scooterworks told me yesterday that I would indeed have to drill into the floorboard. Which I don't really mind doing, just didn't want to.

Also, it's been months since I bought them, so I certainly can't send back.

I've attached the pdf of the instructions they sent me yesterday. It's a little better quality than the link on their site. They seem to not have specific ones for the auto instruction.

AZ_Slynch, can you upload those hack shots on here? Curious to see what you did.
Attachments
LPG1-C.pdf
(572.99 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jmp111181 wrote:AZ_Slynch, can you upload those hack shots on here? Curious to see what you did.
I've uploaded the pics of the hack as attachments in this thread. Not my hack, but I hadn't seen one prior to this and I figured that pictures of the setup might help someone who is looking to install one.

Amusingly, the owner had it at my local shop because they wanted the mechanics to make it faster.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...